PDA

View Full Version : Questions from the NooB

plinker
05-24-2010, 10:13 AM
Hi All! I just registered this morning. I am an IPSC shooter and have been for over 20 years, since I was 14. Way back when, my dad and I used to cast alot, as for volume shooting for 2 shooters, it wasn't economical at the time to always by our own. Now after being married, kids, etc... the budget definitely demands that I look at revisiting casting once again, and am looking for all of the help I can get. I have LEE pots, LEE 6 cavity 125gr, 2 cavity 120 TC, for 9mm and a .452 200gr. SWC for my .45 ACP. My current guns are a CZ SPO1 Shadow, for IPSC Production, and a Springfield Armory NM .45ACP for Standard- hopefully a singlestack division will be coming:p I am considering purchasing a Lyman 147gr mold for the 9mm, as many rave about having the softest shooting loads out of the Shadow with this bullet weight. I am just looking for any input regarding what you would believe would give me the best results as far as accuracy, least amount of smoke, (lube) certain powders better than others? And recipes for tumble tubes, as I don't have a lubsizer, but I do have .356, .357, and .358 and
.452 LEE push thru dies. I know it's alot of questions, but I knew this was the best site to ask my questions. I appreciate any and all input, and look forward to hearing from you. Thanks in advance!

Bass Ackward
05-24-2010, 10:39 AM
Boy are you going to love the Search button at the top of the page.

Welcome.

ghh3rd
05-24-2010, 12:40 PM
Welcome!

Using any of your original equipment from your dad? That would be cool.

Cherokee
05-24-2010, 01:28 PM
Welcome plinker. Don't know what powders are availavle in Canada but I like 231 for 9mm and 45 ACP. Years ago I tried the 147 for IPSC but did not care for it myself. I like the 45 ACP.

plinker
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
My dad passed away a few years ago, but I do have all of his gear, but the Lyman sizer and heat plate somehow disappeared. To keep the costs down, and keeping my ability to shoot lots, casting is something I will have to do. I more than likely will get the Lyman mold for 147's for the CZ and will stick with the 200 SWC for the .45. You guys are the ones that have the knowledge, as most boards only lightly touch on casting occasionally, so thats why I joined. I will employ the search function most definitely, just thought someone could send me in the right direction to get started. In Canada, most Hodgdon and Winchester powders can be had, some of the VV, but I tend to stick with what I can get regularly. For a 9mm lead load, some people reccommend WSF? I am using 231 exclusively now, but want to experiment some. I would like a combination that is clean, not too smoky and consistent over the chrony. I know the bullet lube itself is critical in how smoky the ammo will be, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the welcome[smilie=w:

Russel Nash
05-24-2010, 02:04 PM
pardon the slight thread drift....but I have the Lyman 147 grain 9mm mould. it has a flat point nd a bevel base.

now maybe it is just me and my lack of experience with my Star...but I cannot get the timing just right with it. I am really pressed for time now because of work....so I have not had a chance yet to tinker with my Star with other calibers and boolit designs...to see if it is just me with my ham handedness...something mechanically wrong with the star ...or the bevel base design of that lyman147 grain mould.

a more experienced caster I shoot bowling pin matches with said that because the boolit has a bevel base...that's why I am ending up with lube on the rear end of that particular boolit.

somebody more experienced than both of us will probably be along soon enough to clue us both in.

welcome to the forums.

plinker
05-24-2010, 03:11 PM
Russel, how do you like that bullet, and if you don't mind me asking, what guns so you shoot that bullet in?

Bill*
05-24-2010, 04:24 PM
Speaking of thread drift.....Russel-- Where ya bin? Hope all's well-didnt see you post for quite a while!

fredj338
05-25-2010, 02:28 PM
For a 9mm lead load, some people reccommend WSF? I am using 231 exclusively now, but want to experiment some. I would like a combination that is clean, not too smoky and consistent over the chrony. I know the bullet lube itself is critical in how smoky the ammo will be, so that's why I'm asking. Thanks for the welcome
I find W231 quite smokey w/ lead bullets. WST for the 45acp is just magic, lead or jacketed. The WSF is a good choice for the 124-147gr bullets as well. The 147grLTC, RCBS or Lymna, nice shooting bullets. The 200grLSWC in just about any style is a 45acp classic. I like the WL Carnuba for low smoke, but you would have to pan lube w/o a sizer.

MtGun44
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
Start with .357 diam, see how that works. Some say avoid Alox containing lubes to reduce smoke.
Personally, I havn't had much of a smoke issue with any of the lubes, but have heard
reports that the non-alox lubes produce less, not an issue with me. Borrow a few of
the 147s to dummy fit, I here some guns have trouble with throat interference.

Titegroup under a H&G 68 clone at .452 with the .45ACP will be excellent, I have shot many
thousands in IPSC over the last 30 yrs.

Bill

DIRT Farmer
05-25-2010, 08:35 PM
My son started shooting ISPC with me at 14. Thanks for bring back a lot of good memories. They would only let him shoot a 38 revolver, Smith Md 10 was what I had. You can put a lot of 158 grn RN down range with that game and pratice.

Thanks again for joging the memories.

plinker
05-25-2010, 08:50 PM
No problem! I enjoy every moment dad and I shared out shooting, he really loved it!

Russel Nash
06-01-2010, 12:06 AM
to answer plinker's question, those lyman 147 grainers are being shout out of beretta 92.

to answer bill"s question...I'll just send you PM, Bill...so as to not drift this thread Any farther.

a forum member here was kind enough to PM me and offer me advice on setting up my star.

unfortunately this weekend has just zoomed by so I didn't have a chance to tinker with it.

Russel Nash
06-01-2010, 12:06 AM
to answer plinker's question, those lyman 147 grainers are being shout out of beretta 92.

to answer bill"s question...I'll just send you PM, Bill...so as to not drift this thread Any farther.

a forum member here was kind enough to PM me and offer me advice on setting up my star.

unfortunately this weekend has just zoomed by so I didn't have a chance to tinker with it.