PDA

View Full Version : Glass beding results - NRA Sporter

Char-Gar
08-02-2006, 12:21 PM
I was in a quandry about glass bedding my feaux NRA Sporter, as it was doing so well without it..but I went ahead and glassed the rear receiver tang, front receiver ring and lug, plus about an inch of the barrel.

I now have some pre and post glass bedding results. The load was from the same batch (Garand stash) I loaded in 1989. 165 Nosler/48/4895/WWLR/LC 54 cases.

The results are the average of four five shot groups. The range was 100 yards, s. I prefer to keep all records in MOA so I always have an apples to apples comparison at various ranges.

Pre glass... 1.52 MOA
Post glass..1.20 MOA

The striking thing about this rifle is it's consistancy. In both case the largest and smallest groups did not vary by more than .016". So the accuracy figure are real world, and I can reproduce these level of accuracy, at will, weather and nerves permitting.

I have shot it with and without the barrel band and accuracy is the same, although the POI does shift a mite.

The trigger is stock military and really sucks. I need to upgrade, which might help with shooting smaller groups, but in all truth, this is about all I can do anymore at age 64 with receiver sights. No doubt a scope or younger/better shooter would drop these groups in size.

I am familiar with the Timmy, but am looking at either a Dayton Traister or Heubner..anybody have any experience with either of these?

I now have about 120 rns of comdom loads through the new barrel for break end and case forming. Now I am going to clean the barrel down to the steel and start seeing if I can get Pb bullets to play follow the leader through the same hole.

I am not through tweaking the rifle, and will finish shape, sand and finish the stock and send the metal off for a premium blue. I am not going to spare the cash on a good blue job. This is going to end up being one of the finest rifle I have ever had and worth the cash and many hours of time lavished upon it.

It will be a fitting companion to a silver headed shooter in his golden years.

45 2.1
08-02-2006, 12:27 PM
Try the 311407 Group Buy boolit in it that we did, I think you'll like what it does.

Char-Gar
08-02-2006, 12:56 PM
That is one of the first I will try.. It has done well in my Krags and Model 70 (30-06). I picked up a 311407 HP on Ebay a while ago, should I ever want to take the rifle hunting.

Blackwater
08-02-2006, 11:28 PM
Chargar, ain't nothin' quite like a nice '03. Please keep us posted. I'm way behind on my casting and loading due to the unbearable heat here in Ga., but Lord willin', won't be too long now 'till I can see what one or more of mine will do.

JDL
08-03-2006, 08:14 AM
Chargar, That old mil trigger can be smoothed up to make a very nice trigger. I have a model 98 that's been given the treatment and it's much nicer than stock triggers on some of my sporting rifles but, I just like the feel of a 2 stage trigger. -JDL

Char-Gar
08-03-2006, 12:27 PM
I have stoned, polished etc. a number of military triggers and much improvment can be had. But I want a crisp 2.5 lb pull, with no slack, no first stage and no over travel. Can't be had by working over a mil-spec trigger.

I have spent too much time in a tight sling shooting at targets far away to be happy with a slicked up military trigger for precision shooting. I want to be able to apply that last 3 ozs of pressure when the sight picture is perfect.

I am OK with slicked up military triggers on my mil-surp rifles ,but this rifle is several notches above. My original thinking was to stick with a slick up miliatry trigger, but I have changed my mind.

If I had the money, which I don't, and could find, which I can't, a Canjar single set trigger for the 03 Springfield that is what I would love to have. I had one on my Winchester 70 Bull Gun Target rifle in the days or yore, lordy lordy, what a trigger.