PDA

View Full Version : Dumb question is there a list of what molds are for what?

m.chalmers
05-23-2010, 11:38 AM
Is there a master list or web site that list molds and what they fit?

IE: I'm looking to buy molds for my:

336 in 35 Rem
.455 web (the 445599 was wrong [smilie=b:)
45-70 and 45-90 in trapdoors
43 spanish in a rolling block

Thanks for any help :lovebooli

Doc Highwall
05-23-2010, 12:25 PM
The moulds are not just caliber specific but also gun specific. Take your Marlin in 35 Remington you cannot exceed the over all length and feed the bullets through the tube magazine. In the 45-70 I have both lever action and single shot guns and the 500 grain bullet I shoot in the single shot exceeds the over all length of the Marlin 1895. You can shoot them if you drop them into the chamber but you have to shoot them as they will be too long to eject.

m.chalmers
05-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, I understand over all length. I cast my cambers for my 303 Brits. Just looking for a list/site that shows everything.

Thanks!

m.chalmers
05-23-2010, 12:45 PM
Yes, I understand over all length. I cast my cambers for my 303 Brits. Just looking for a list/site that shows everything.

Thanks!

Mk42gunner
05-23-2010, 06:32 PM
There are several mold reference pages at the castpics website link at the bottom of this page.

Robert

anachronism
05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
There is so much overlap that you'll never get a definitive answer for every mould made. You need to determine the physical characteristics of what you need & decide if a given mould will be adequate for your needs. The information seems to be better for the older mould designs than for the newer stuff.

shooter93
05-23-2010, 07:24 PM
First off it's not a dumb question. Look at the mold listings at Cast Pics. You're basically looking, as a starting place, for a boolit that has the right diameter for you bore and a weight range similar to the original bullet shot in the gun. After that the door is wide open but it will give you an idea and a starting place. Also watch the group buys page. many molds are done here for specific reasons such as larger diameter. They are exceptional buys. Noe often has extra molds left over from a group buy for sale. You can also propose a "feeler" in the section to see if other would be interested in your idea. We now have a HUGE wealth of mold makers at this site....a long way from the searching many of us went through in our younger days.