PDA

View Full Version : Ed's Red -"More than meets the eye"

Shooter6br
05-23-2010, 09:40 AM
I know "Ed's Red" is a good low cost bore cleaner but how good a rust preventive? i find it very good indeed. Pic enclosed shows steel blade left out 2 weeks with a very wet spell here in S>E Pa. Left side no ER Right side wiped with ER, Not bad!

chboats
05-23-2010, 09:58 AM
Shooter6br - Did you make the ER with or without lanolin?

Carl

Shooter6br
05-23-2010, 10:16 AM
No lanolin was added Just the basic formula

RobS
05-23-2010, 11:48 AM
I use it................like it................and have about 2 gallons mixed up ready to use.

wiljen
05-23-2010, 12:00 PM
I make it by the gallon with Lanolin added and can say it is well worth the effort to make.

Thumbcocker
05-23-2010, 07:13 PM
I think Ed said that with laniloin it would provide rust resistance for an extended period of time.

MtGun44
05-23-2010, 11:39 PM
The ATF has very good anticorrosion properties - if it didn't your transmission wouldn't last
very long.

Bill

kywoodwrkr
05-24-2010, 05:48 PM
ATF and kerosene were reccommended as a cleaner for fire blackened/encrusted items a couple years ago.
Wasn't able to clean everything right away and am now cleaning some barrels and etc.
They were 'pickled' in the ATF/kerosene concoction.
Now using Ballistol as cleaner and you would not believe how well things are cleaning up.
Now I really wish some low life hadn't stolen some of the better examples from the garage they were stored in.:-(
Have enough components on hand for 2 gallon or more of ER.

Superfly
05-24-2010, 06:33 PM
and how do we make it???

I have ATF Lanolin And Time Lots Of time.

Jaime

wills
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
and how do we make it???

I have ATF Lanolin And Time Lots Of time.

Jaime

use the search feature, or google for "ed's red"

BoolitBill
05-24-2010, 06:41 PM
Superfly,

http://home.comcast.net/~dsmjd/tux/dsmjd/tech/eds_red.htm

Superfly
05-24-2010, 10:15 PM
sweet thanks man

a.squibload
05-26-2010, 04:20 AM
Mostly dry here but might have to make some Ed's just for.

Superfly, your avatar reminds me of the "Aggie Revolver", can't read the text though.

Seen this one? Hollywood's impact on the shooting sports...

wiljen
05-28-2010, 11:42 AM
In fairness what I make is a cross between Hatchers original formula (Frankford Arsenal Cleaner) and Ed's Red (The modernized Version).

I mix:

1 QT Acetone
1 QT Turpentine
1 QT Dexron ATF
1 QT K1 Kerosene
1 lbs Lanolin

This was Hatcher's formula except he specified Sperm oil which is no longer available thus the substitution by Ed Harris for Dexron. Hatcher called for turpentine instead of the stoddard Solvent (Varsol). While varsol is generally cheaper than turpentine, I don't think it cleans as well in this application. Having tried both, I'll spend the $ and get real turpentine.

http://books.google.com/books?id=yESNUKSg5aMC&pg=PA352&lpg=PA352&dq=hatchers+formula+gun+cleaner&source=bl&ots=AzCsQDZq6f&sig=Hg0uruWL6krJ0ZDYP9g538OTCuE&hl=en&ei=deP_S7OtH4KClAf6hZXSCQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=10&ved=0CEkQ6AEwCQ#v=onepage&q&f=false

Texasflyboy
05-28-2010, 11:54 AM
Ed lives about 15 minutes from me in Virginia. I can say that he uses his own product. I've seen many gallons of Ed's Red around his reloading/cleaning area.

I wonder what he calls it....seems odd to call it "Ed's Red" when you're Ed.:veryconfu

It's a great product anyway.

And the key ingredient is the Automatic Transmission Fluid. ATF has to be hands down, the best low cost lubricant/preservative on the market.

You can certainly pay more, but for about $1.50 per quart, pure ATF is unparalleled in its performance as a lubricant and rust preventive.

There is a fishing shack over salt water in our family. I've long kept two Chinese SKS's there with corrosive ammo in a semi-enclosed steel closet. Nothing stopped rust on those two rifles until I started swabbing each with pure ATF before I left at the end of each visit. The rust came to a screaming halt. Both will function perfectly when needed.

I use pure ATF to wipe down exposed metal parts on boats, motors, etc... and rust/corrosion just doesn't happen.

Love the performance...hate the smell.

mroliver77
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
I spent a winter in Key Largo babysitting a sail boat for a friend. Afellow I know rode a BMW and was POed that it was rusty/corroded all the time. We did a tranny swap in his Galaxy 500 and he used the old tranny fluid and a paint brush to cover his engine and other stuff that was affected. End of problem!
I have used Eds Red for some years now and it is my favorite clkeaner. I made a batch with alox instead of the lanolin and while it was cloudy it worked great also.
Jay

leadman
05-28-2010, 05:58 PM
Has anyone added ammonia to Ed's Red to remove the copper?

wiljen
05-28-2010, 06:24 PM
I've seen a recipe with industrial 15% ammonia added. I've never been big on the idea as it defeats the ability to just leave it in the bore as a rust preventative.

Von Gruff
05-28-2010, 07:54 PM
I have just started using E R and wondered about using Kroil in the mix.
The gum turpentine in the recipe...is this the same as vegetable turps which is what i used as I have it on hand for Tung oil I use on stocks.

Von Gruff.

wiljen
05-29-2010, 07:18 AM
I have just started using E R and wondered about using Kroil in the mix.

I've seen Kroil added too but think it would add cost without any additional benefit. It is pretty good stuff as is.