PDA

View Full Version : Pure Lead Cast Info needed

DrBill33
05-22-2010, 08:46 PM
First, thank all of you for the assistance last year when I commenced casting alloyed metals. After almost 7 decades of hand loading, i started to cast, and it is fun. A little over 9,500 this past year (and there was substantial;ltime-out for a series of coronary difficulties).

Now i am starting to cast for my Ruger Old Army. Ruger suggestes pure lead: And here is where I have encountered some difficulty!.

Mold is .456 (I will size to .454): and when I mic'd it, the bottom band is .461 .. just right: but, when I cast, the bottom band mic's at .442.

Any ideas as to what I might be doing incorrectly, and a means to rectify this situation will be most appreciated!

Actually, the ones that I have cast do not even touch the sides o f the sizing die. They have gone back into the "to be re-melted and re-cast" box.

Lead is from RotoMetalls, and the BHN checks out on the spot.

Thanks!

Doc

sagacious
05-22-2010, 08:56 PM
Easiest solution is likely to be simply adding a little tin to your lead. Try something around 30:1 or 20:1 Pb:Sn alloy. The tin addition should give you better fill out. Be sure the mold is up to temp. Good luck.

mooman76
05-22-2010, 08:59 PM
That's a awful big difference. Is the bottom band filling out all the way? I'd say crank the heat up all the way and see what you get. Pure lead doesn't frost like alloy does.

docone31
05-22-2010, 09:02 PM
It sounds like you are not useing RBs.
If that is the case, then the ballet(? will be smaller to utilize the expansion of the gases to fill the chamber.
If it were me, I would cast .457 RBs, and enjoy. That Ruger Old Army is tough as nails, and a fine shooter.
Pure lead is the easiest to load.

randyrat
05-22-2010, 09:03 PM
The problem i believe is either temprature is too low or plugged vent lines top side of mold. your using pure or close to it, it takes some high temps. Small amount of Tin may be the trick or check the venting of the mold just below the sprue plate.
Unless someone else has a better idea.

iron mule
05-22-2010, 09:10 PM
one more bit of advice on this would be to get the mould up to operating temp /// the first few boolits may be a little small due to the mould being cold // this is in addition to raising the melt temp

JIMinPHX
05-22-2010, 10:13 PM
I'd crank up the heat. Pure lead needs higher temperatures than its alloys do.

deltaenterprizes
05-23-2010, 09:18 AM
70 years of handloading? WOW! When did you start? How old were you?

I agree with the other posters that more heat is needed. Are you preheating your mold? That will help the mold fill out sooner. Use a small electric hot plate set on medium when you start you pot and when the lead is melted in the pot the mold should be at or close to ideal casting temp.
Some electric pots have trouble getting hot enough to cast pure lead, do you have a lead thermometer?
How old is your pot?

44man
05-23-2010, 09:19 AM
Yes, starting point for pure will be 800*.
I made a mold for the Old Army to drop a .454 boolit. I don't size it.
I have never had a problem casting pure lead for anything. Never needed tin.

stubert
05-23-2010, 09:20 AM
The mold you have is the Lee 456-220, It is designed to be shot as cast. Do not resize it . It is supposed to be smaller at the base so you can start it in the cylinder, then it will be swaged to fit when you press it in. Your description of the cast bullet is how it should be. Again, DO NOT size before shooting or you will have a loose bullet in the chamber which could cause a flashover.

44man
05-23-2010, 01:10 PM
The mold you have is the Lee 456-220, It is designed to be shot as cast. Do not resize it . It is supposed to be smaller at the base so you can start it in the cylinder, then it will be swaged to fit when you press it in. Your description of the cast bullet is how it should be. Again, DO NOT size before shooting or you will have a loose bullet in the chamber which could cause a flashover.
HEY, good catch! :holysheep I don't have that mold but you are correct.

randyrat
05-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Yep, good one "Stubert" i wasen't thinkin Black powder.

DrBill33
05-23-2010, 08:22 PM
Thanks I've been casting the Pb at 700 degrees, si I will"uo the ante".

As fior the (almost 70 years) I started with my father and uncle at the age of 9. I am now 77 (and my final truck is ALMOST paid-off!!)

As for the size, I have re-mic'd the bullets, and the max size anywhere ia as I noted. I will re-melt and try a re-cast
Peace!

And Keep You Powder Dry!