PDA

View Full Version : Qustion on a smelting pot????

Freightman
05-22-2010, 06:37 PM
I was given a old out dated propane tank one of the bar-B Q type, to make a smelting pot from it how deep should it be?

RP
05-23-2010, 02:08 PM
Do some looking on the board I know it wont be so easy to find but a few guys here have made them. The one I liked the best he cut it to include the handles hard to explain but as soon as you see it you know what iam talking about. Do a search key work prophane maybe.

RobS
05-23-2010, 02:18 PM
Here is one simply cut in half

Rock
05-23-2010, 02:58 PM
"simply cut in half"?

Looks like it has been made into a bottom pour!

RobS
05-23-2010, 03:14 PM
yes it is a bottom pour.............the opening post asked how deep should the pot be. It is simply cut in half and that is how deep it is.

Rock
05-23-2010, 03:19 PM
yes it is a bottom pour.............the opening post asked how deep should the pot be. It is simply cut in half and that is how deep it is.

Thank you for the additional information.

Are details on the construction of this pot available, it looks very interesting. (And I just cracked my cast iron smelt pot in 1/2 :hijack: )

RobS
05-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Yep, details are available.....it is my pot. I'll post some closer pics so it makes more sense. A picture is worth a 1000 words you know. Be back in a bit.

RobS
05-23-2010, 03:45 PM
Pics of the propane smelter

Rock
05-23-2010, 04:23 PM
Thank you for the pictures.

Is your flow control achieved with just a flat washer over the opening, or is there a machined fitting below?

RobS
05-23-2010, 05:30 PM
It is not a flat washer.........I don't believe that would seal. It is actually a concrete form stake that was already turned to a point. In the bottom of the pot there is a female opening which is similar in angle to the male end and to have a final seal a bit of valve lapping compound was used to spin the two so everything would be fitted well.

Freightman
05-25-2010, 02:50 PM
WOW! I do not know if I can do that quality work but it sure gives me some Idea of what to dream about.
Thanks!

Dale53
05-25-2010, 06:28 PM
A feller just HAS to admire American ingenuity!! I am pretty dern happy with my fish cooker and 12" cast iron Harbor Freight dutch oven for smelting but I admit just a touch of envy with that set up, Rob S.

Good work!
Dale53

RobS
05-25-2010, 10:45 PM
WOW! I do not know if I can do that quality work but it sure gives me some Idea of what to dream about.
Thanks!

Gentlemen, I can't take all the credit for this one. Now if I lived back home where I had all the right equipment I would have been able to take a wack at this but instead I was in the background only giving suggestions to my dad. We both have the skills to work metal and do a good job at it, I just don't have the $$$ or to be honest the time yet to have things setup.

RobS
05-25-2010, 10:48 PM
A feller just HAS to admire American ingenuity!! I am pretty dern happy with my fish cooker and 12" cast iron Harbor Freight dutch oven for smelting but I admit just a touch of envy with that set up, Rob S.

Good work!
Dale53

It is nice to have a smelter that bottom pours.............it sure is easier to make all those nice lead ingots. I was using a cast iron pot before as well and I definately enjoy the change.

Adk Mike
05-27-2010, 05:41 PM
I've got one from a propane tank cut in half. It works pretty good. One thing I've learned the steel doesn't hold the heat like cast iron does so I've learned not to put to much in it or it seems to harden on the sides even with a lot of heat. Mike

fryboy
06-01-2010, 02:09 AM
the worse part of a propane tank is the weld line ...quite often there's a flange of metal inside there ... i cut mine tall to leave ears for the handle and a lil spot for a pour spout i was gonna bend that but as noted it doesnt hold heat like cast iron does and my burner is a lil farther below the pot than i'd like ( old crusty but free turkey fryer ) btw ? the weld line ? i ground a v shaped funnel thru that where i was gonna put the spout

i do like the bottom pour tho !! it should be close enough to the heat to keep it free flowin ( kudo's rob to u and ur dad ! )

RobS
06-03-2010, 07:27 PM
Actually to give more heat drill a few extra holes in the middle of the burner. Take a look closely at the burner picture you'll see them (4 of them).