PDA

View Full Version : star help needed

280Ackley
05-22-2010, 10:01 AM
The return spring on the pump plunger is pushing out very slowly or not at all. Is there an adjustment? I'm using Lar's BAC do I need to heat it? Or do I just need to replace the spring?:veryconfu

Norseman
05-22-2010, 11:25 AM
I would guess you need some heat.

The pump plunger on my Star is very slow, just before the heater kicks in. I'm using Lars Carnauba Red.

mtgrs737
05-22-2010, 11:58 AM
Yep I have three Stars and I use a little heat even on the BAC or 50/50 lube as it helps the lube flow better and is easier on the machine. I did have a spring break on one once, the two parts of the spring "Threaded" itself into each other and thus shorted itself causing less spring power to push out the plunger. Put a light bulb close to the base for about an hour to see if it works better before buying a heater. If you do need a little heat the Lyman flat plate heater is drilled and tapped for the Star but you will need to control the heat as mine over heats the sizer if left flat out all the time. I built one using a light dimmer switch from the hardware store, it works swell.

280Ackley
05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Heat helps but no matter how I adjust the depth I am now getting a huge globe of lube on the nose.

Forester
05-22-2010, 07:46 PM
To much pressure now with the "thinner" lube.

The Star is a lot easier to use for me with the air pressure system and a heated base with thermostat controlled temp settings. That way you can find a repeatable setting and hold it there instead of continually adjusting both temp and pressure.

Generally if you increase the heat you need to drop the pressure..its a balancing act.

Edubya
05-22-2010, 08:29 PM
Heat helps but no matter how I adjust the depth I am now getting a huge globe of lube on the nose.

Ackley, there is a bit of a learning curve and I'm sure that when you have discovered the right pressure and the correct temperature, you'll look back on these times and shake your head, (possibly smile) and say to yourself, "Geez, that was too easy." I have two STARS and a SAECO, guess which gets used the most ...
EW

P.S. How many lube grooves do you need to fill on each boolit? How many have you plugged on the sizing die?