PDA

View Full Version : Last of my FED 150 primers

ghh3rd
05-21-2010, 05:09 PM
Thought I had a lot more Fed 150 primers, but forgot that last time I was only abled to purchase 400. I have 30 left -- guess I'll have to shoot slow this Sunday in my .44 loads, as I usually load and shoot 100 when I go.

I can get CCI primers, but I've heard from more than one person that the Fed 150 primers perform better these loads, so guess I'll wait.

Randy

sargenv
05-21-2010, 05:14 PM
Personally, if I didn't have a reason to use Federal primers (ie lightened and tuned action) I would use about anything else. Also Federal and CCI are now both made by the same people since Federal and CCI are owned by the same company. I would feel confident using either.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-21-2010, 05:50 PM
I know we each develop likes and dis-likes for products and manufactures, but CCI has been my go to primer for many years - since the 60s - and I have never had or seen a reason to change.

Now if I had done extensive testing with some loads I might have found another brand that gave me a bit of an edge in some loads. Maybe.

I was in Lewiston, Idaho a week ago, and stopped at a couple of shops for primers. I did find small pistol standards - CCI - at one shop, but had to go to the other for some large pistol standards.

HOWEVER, the large pistol standards were PMC - made in Russia primers.

Now, those are the ones I have questions about and you can be assured I will save my stash of CCIs for serious work until that Russian primer proves itself one way or the other.

Good to see enough primers that I can again buy them by the thousand, but hope that CCIs are all again available, and very soon.

By the way, CCI and Speer products are/were both made in Lewiston.

Not sure how them being owned by the same company which owns Fed. is effecting production and quality.

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

ghh3rd
05-21-2010, 07:49 PM
Since I've been shooting my Ruger SBH .44 I've been using W296/H110 and Fed 150 primers. I just picked up a few hundred CCI primers, and what the heck, I'll even try them with the 2400 powder I have on hand.

As they would say in buzz word lingo at work, I'll "break out of my paradigm" and try something new. The W296 with Fed 150 primers have sure been a good combination though.

Shiloh
05-21-2010, 08:23 PM
I purchase and shoot whatever is available. I prefer Winchester Primers.

SHiloh

JesterGrin_1
05-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I also prefer CCI and Federal primers. I tend to use the CCI in Pistol and the Federal in Rifle.

I have used some of the Wolf Large Rifle Primers in both 45-70 and 30-06. The wolf primers did not fire off the first strike of the hammer in my Marlin 45-70Gs but it has a light hammer spring and so forth. So I find the no fire no fault of the Wolf primer.

In my 30-06 with everything stock the Wolf primers have worked just fine.

But as someone has mentioned that if CCI and Federal are now made by the same company I wonder which way they will go? Keep a hard primer like CCI or go softer as the Federal.

Edubya
05-21-2010, 09:51 PM
The Feds are the softest and I have more than 15,000 but I've also got Wins and CCI. I'm not that picky about primers, maybe I should be. I do try to keep them separate and loaded by batches.

EW

WallyM3
05-21-2010, 10:03 PM
I think PMC has been made all over the world. Mexico, Korea, Philippines, South Africa...

Wolf is Russian and has apparently been well received in the Bench Rest Community.

Personally, I load with what ever I can find, though supplies appear to be swelling at the local shop.

I've always felt comfortable with CCI, since the 70s, bu I've never had a primer fail no matter who made it.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
05-21-2010, 11:39 PM
Yep, PMC probably has been made if as many countries as the letters "PMC" have stood for.

Pan Metal Corp, Patten Morgan corp, on and on and on, name after name, but always "PMC".

However, the PMC primers I refered to back a few posts, were made in Russia according to the info printed on the packaging.

I have had no occasion to use "Wolf" products, except for some of their match .22 ammo. It shoots OK in my Clark Custom RUGER 77/22 and is the ammo of choice for my RUGER Mark II Slabside.

If the PMC is made by the Wolf folk, hope the primers are as good as the .22s

Keep em coming!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

WallyM3
05-21-2010, 11:43 PM
New info. Thanks.

The information I gleaned from (a site whose URL or link I can't seem to reproduce) cartridgecollectors.org/headstampcodes, or something like that.

Forester
05-22-2010, 10:36 AM
Powder valley has Federal Large Pistol Match Magnums in stock, or at least they had some left when I bought 4000 last week.