PDA

View Full Version : How many

mag_01
08-01-2006, 06:53 PM
:coffee: ---- How many guns dose a shooter need---My lovely wife said I have enough--Soooo how much is enough ?:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

SharpsShooter
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
:coffee: ---- How many guns dose a shooter need---My lovely wife said I have enough--Soooo how much is enough ?:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

The number is solved in this highly technical equation........

Number of guns owned + one you don't have yet = enough

SS

TCLouis
08-01-2006, 07:13 PM
I have never found the need for more that 5 more at any given time. There are times when I find that I only need 1 more than I have.

Bigjohn
08-01-2006, 07:52 PM
The next one I buy will be my last! :twisted: BUT I said that the last time too. [smilie=1:

John.

NVcurmudgeon
08-01-2006, 09:01 PM
I have more than I need, but not as many as I want. Jack O' Connor once wrote that a .30/06, a .22 LR, and a 12 gauge puimpgun would fill the needs of most hunters, but all the gun writers would have to go back to teaching English.

kodiak1
08-01-2006, 09:12 PM
fUNNY YOU SHOULD POST THIS!! A couple of months ago had to get a new safe so I got one of those cheaper tin boxes that hold 31 Sweet Sweet pieces of wood and Iron. My wife was helping me assemble, she is small enough she crawls right inside to start the nuts and hold them while I tighten them.
I made the dreaded error of saying "WELL HONEY AT MY AGE I SHOULD'T FILL THIS ONE." To which she replied and this is a direct quote "YEAH RIGHT".
I was touched I realized I had married an angel.
Ken

crazy mark
08-01-2006, 11:40 PM
Gee, my lovely wife asks so what gun did you buy at this gun show. Not don't you already have one of them. She'd rather have me collecting guns than out running in the bars. Mark

mag_01
08-02-2006, 08:24 AM
:coffee: ----All good replies---Hope you all get out to shoot as often as you like---Mag:Fire: :Fire: :Fire: :Fire:

Thin Man
08-02-2006, 09:27 AM
I was passing through a gkun shop last week and there were only a few customers prowling the aisles. A fellow came in with his daughter, age about 10. They walked around a bit, and the young girl started watching another customer. After a few minutes of watching this fellow, she walked up to this total stranger and said: "You look sad. I think you need to buy a new rifle!" The customer looked down at her, smiled, and thanked her for the suggestion. After I got through snickering over the situation, I realized how that young lady is gonna make some really lucky guy one fine wife!!! Too bad she didn't make that statement to me. After all, ANY excuse will do..............

Thin Man

Bigscot
08-02-2006, 10:24 AM
Mag

Ask your wife if she has enough or can have enough jewelry.

Stuart

9.3X62AL
08-02-2006, 11:19 AM
Marie IS an angel. While she hasn't put her feelings into words in the way Mark's wife did, I imagine her thoughts run parallel to those of Mark's wife.

Marie has a pretty practical turn of mind when it comes to outdoors equipment. She has a couple Redington fly rods, and had been reading about "old school" bamboo/Tonkin cane fly rods. Whatever source she read from, it had waxed eloquent about the fine points of these classic tools, ignoring the down sides like fragility, maintenence requirements, and cost. I ran a little info past her from my experience with the old cane feather launchers, and she started pricing some of them. STICKER SHOCK, WITH MALICE AFORETHOUGHT. "For the price of one fly rod, we could each get a CZ rifle or two Redingtons!"

I only wish I had found her 20 years sooner than I did. Life would have been a whole lot sweeter, and a lot less complicated.

How many more guns do I "need"? Not a one--I can make something I already have work in any conceivable venue that might rattle along. Jack O'Conner was right, but I'll bet the gunrag advertisers howled when he said that. Most of my 30 years of active acquisition was prompted by experimentation and curiosity about caliber capability, primarily in the hunting fields but also for defensive purposes as an adjunct to my 20+ years as a cop rangemaster and firearms witness in court.

Still, there are a couple toys I'd like to get. You KNEW that was coming......both are sidearms, a CZ-75B in 40 S&W and a SIG-Sauer P-220 in 45 ACP. I also have no fewer than 5 "project pieces" laying around to finish work on, too--and a couple involve caliber choices that are still up in the air. Maybe--just maybe--after these two pistols land in the gun safe I might be "DONE".

"Yeah, RIGHT!"

robertbank
08-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Just one more than I have right now....honest.

Bob

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 01:08 PM

"Just one more" is what usually works for me....[smilie=1:

Dennis

BTW, sounds like maybe you need to buy a few for your wife and get her hooked on shooting? That also works for me...:D

Bucks Owin
08-02-2006, 01:12 PM
I have more than I need, but not as many as I want. Jack O' Connor once wrote that a .30/06, a .22 LR, and a 12 gauge puimpgun would fill the needs of most hunters, but all the gun writers would have to go back to teaching English.

And everyone says he was prejudiced towards the .270......[smilie=1:

Dennis :-D

Sure miss ol' "Cactus Jack"....:(

Char-Gar
08-02-2006, 02:15 PM
The operative word is "need". I don't suppose we need near as many as most of us have. Tell your wife, that money could have been spent on booze, hookers, night clubs, trips to Vegas etc. etc. the money could have been spent on motorcycles, boats, cars and other "wasting assest".

Shooting and guy buying is a benign addiction and the money spent will come back with reasonable interest when it comes time to downsize the collection.

I am staring retirement in the face in less than two years, and I am downsizing my collection. I am turning the money invested in guns into fewer but truly premium pieces. I got loads of fun out of the guns when I had them, have experienced an increase on my money and will enjoy the fewer but primo pieces in my retirement.

Nobody has been hurt, no money has been lost and in fact money have been gained. When I am gone, my kids can enjoy the guns or sell them and enjoy the money and it's increase.

All in all, it is a harmless past time.

BOOM BOOM
08-02-2006, 03:57 PM
HI,
I still need a REDHAWLK in 357, and a Encore that I can build barrels for.
I had to part w/ most of my guns awhile back to keep the family going when I was unemploied.

rigmarol
08-02-2006, 06:26 PM
HI,
I had to part w/ most of my guns awhile back to keep the family going when I was unemploied.

Been there, done that, recovered nicely since then.

My wonderful wife was counting them up the other day and began to giggle. When asked what was so funny, she said "only 7 more and you can shoot one every weekend for a year and not use the same gun twice." So, I guess that's permission for at least seven more....:mrgreen:

NVcurmudgeon
08-02-2006, 07:06 PM
Truthfully, my wife encourages me to buy more guns than I want to. Most of my guns are financed by saving up my pocket money, and of course each one is carefully planned for. Often I will head out for a gun show and tell her that I'll just be looking for accessories, ammo, other little stuff, because the gun fund is a little light. She always tells me that if I run into anything I really want, I am to remember that I have magic plastic debit and charge cards in my pocket. Can you imagine the pressure her offer puts on me? On one hand I want to act like a kid in a candy store, and on the other I want to practice some restraint so that I will always have the backup. She also tends to load me up when we are in a gun store. Fran is a very definite keeper, and she is not even much of a shooter!

HTRN
08-02-2006, 07:10 PM

How many guns does a shooter need? At least one more than he has now.:mrgreen:

Of course, that answer resets every time a new gun is purchased[smilie=1:

Every gunowner should answer "Not enough" when asked how many guns he owns.

HTRN

PatMarlin
08-02-2006, 08:35 PM
Marie has a pretty practical turn of mind when it comes to outdoors equipment. She has a couple Redington fly rods, and had been reading about "old school" bamboo/Tonkin cane fly rods.

Hey Al,

I've got a beautiful bamboo fly rod that I believe dates to about 1929 in near flawless condition. It's an iBotson 'Best by Test" Attica New York, or something close to that if memory serves me. Three peice with an extra tip (fourth) piece, and case. Varnish and nickle is primo.

I would like to do some trading with it if you guys are into these rods.

...:drinks:

dragonrider
08-03-2006, 11:04 AM
I can say honestly that I will never have enough, I only have about 30 right now and I have yet to buy my yearly quota of two this year. I used to buy only one per year but as I can look into the furture and see a time when I ain't going to be here I had to increase that number. May have to increase it again soon.

1Shirt
08-03-2006, 01:45 PM
Guns, are like food! Just gotta have guns and food to sustain me and my life style!
1Shirt!