PDA

View Full Version : most accurate springfield xd 45 servie model load

whitetailsniper
05-21-2010, 05:12 AM
any others out here beside me have a springfield xd45 acp serive model,if so what does yours like to eat/shoot,, so far mine, likes the lyman 180 grain devistor hollow point,over 7.5 grains of unique,with a col of 1.246. at 25 yrds,almost through the same holes,,i havent used my crony yet to ck speeds but i will soon. id like to hear from you guys.

thegreatdane
05-22-2010, 09:35 PM
I'm new around here and would like to hear this answer also.

whitetailsniper
05-22-2010, 09:51 PM
welcome,,im a newbe also, theres alot of nice guys in here, very helpful..but so far it seems like theres nobody has a springfield xd 45 acp,,so far,,,, here 1 i have for you,,its a lyman 180 grain hollow point mold,,,so far this is my only best mold for this gun, i load it this way= i use
7.5 grains of unique powder,,,using wlp primers,,set col to 1.246,,sized at .452,,and used spg lube.. the grouping were exallant,,it cycles with out jamming,trust me i tried to get it to jam,by rapid firring it,,not a single jam,,was shot@25 yrds,putting in the same holes. so far its my top go to bullet.and load. when recovered slug,it mushroomed very well retaining most its weight,,,an exallant defense load,and bullet,, have not cronograph yet,but i will soon.

lylejb
05-23-2010, 01:14 AM
First, welcome Whitetail and Greatdane.

Congrats, sounds like you've found your load for that XD. It's a great feeling when it all comes togeather like that.

The thing to keep in mind, however, is that each gun is unique. What works well in your gun may not work as well in someone else's, and vise-versa. It's just something you have to try for yourself, and see what works.

As for me, my next mould will be the Lee TL452-230-TC . I've read multiple posts here that say it works well, I'll just have to see for myself:D

RobS
05-23-2010, 03:21 AM
Although my xd is not a 4" model I do have the 5". I've shot the Lee 200 grain RF bullet and it shot well if I water quenched. I also have shot the Lee TC 230 grain bullet (both the tumble lube design and the traditional lube groove design) and they both were quite accurate as air cooled or water quenched with a slight edge to accuracy to air cooled. Out of the two the TC bullet shot more accurately. Now a days my most accurate bullet is a 230 grain hollow point bullet that BRP on this forum made me. It originally is a 260 grain .320 melplat LFN bullet style design (453640 I believe without looking it up) with the nose of the bullet actually coned more so than a traditional LFN and slightly shorter as well. This allows the bullet to feed well in the 45 auto and since it is a revolver bullet I can double up with it. The hollow point takes out around 30 grains of lead and it makes for a 230 grain thumper that expands well at 45 auto/45 colt velocities (800 to 950 fps ish). I use this bullet for both my 45 auto and low end 45 colt loads and it is a very nice bullet at that. I've used powders such as Unique, Herco, Promo, WSF, and REXIII all with good results with the 45 auto and 230 grain bullets. Seems as if the slower powders work better although Promo is a good powder but if you are looking at squeezing out velocities much over 800 fps you may want to put in a heavier recoil spring. I shoot with a 20 lbs spring in mine with all loads as I do not shoot super low recoil target loads.

FWIW

Echo
05-23-2010, 01:58 PM
Well - I guess I DO shoot the super-low recoil target loads in my .45's. Lyman 452460 over 3.6 grs BE, and they feed reliably in both guns, and are accurate. I haven't tried to pump up to max. If I have to shoot something with a 45, these loads, while super-low recoil, will be noticed.

RobS
05-23-2010, 02:25 PM
Well - I guess I DO shoot the super-low recoil target loads in my .45's. Lyman 452460 over 3.6 grs BE, and they feed reliably in both guns, and are accurate. I haven't tried to pump up to max. If I have to shoot something with a 45, these loads, while super-low recoil, will be noticed.

Are these guns Springfield XD's???? I ask as I've not had luck with cycling SWC bullets and many people who have XD's will also concur. The title of the thread is asking about bullets in a service model XD.

EvilElmo
05-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Are these guns Springfield XD's???? I ask as I've not had luck with cycling SWC bullets and many people who have XD's will also concur. The title of the thread is asking about bullets in a service model XD.

I too have had no luck with SWC bullets in my XD (45 service), but it eats truncated cone bullets with no problems at all.

fredj338
05-25-2010, 02:05 PM
I too have had no luck with SWC bullets in my XD (45 service), but it eats truncated cone bullets with no problems at all.

Yeah. LSWC are pretty much a single shot proposition for most. My XDTAC will run them about 80% of the time. It's accurate w/ just about anything I run in it. My fav 45acp powder is WST. With 4.9gr under a 200grLTC, it makes about 875fps in the 5" bbl & satisfying sub 1 1/2" groups @ 15yds offhand.

any others out here beside me have a springfield xd45 acp serive model,if so what does yours like to eat/shoot,, so far mine, likes the lyman 180 grain devistor hollow point,over 7.5 grains of unique,with a col of 1.246. at 25 yrds,almost through the same holes,,i havent used my crony yet to ck speeds but i will soon. id like to hear from you guys.
That is a warm load, probably 925fps+. What alloy do you cast to get 180gr? I have the same mold & w/ 50/50 ww/lead, they run about 200gr lubed & ready to shoot.