PDA

View Full Version : .44 Question

largecaliberman
08-01-2006, 03:42 PM
I recently purchased a Smith & Wesson .44 Magnum, model 629-1. I searched all over the net looking for the -1 but found none. I know that S&W comes out with the model 629. The number 629-1 is stamped on the frame. Does anyone know the the difference, history, etc.?

Leadlum
08-01-2006, 03:49 PM
I think 629-3 is when they started putting the improvments into the cyl, and latch, and etc. The old ones I heard sometimes would skip, and come open with "Full House" loads.? Don`t quote me tough. I`m going on memory. I read it in a magazine a few months back.

BruceB
08-01-2006, 05:10 PM
My 629 Mountain Revolver is a "-1" model. The whole Mountain Gun idea got its start with this issue of 5000 guns in 1989. Many and varied "Mountain Guns" have come along since that first one. My wife and daughter gave me mine for Christmas of '89, after I mentioned that my old Super Blackhawk was getting kinda cumbersome on a moose/woodland caribou hunt that year.

It included just a couple of the "enhancements" S&W eventually adopted for the 29/629 series, so as to allow them a longer life with heavy loads. These showed up in the year or so after my gun was built.

According to my second edition of "The Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson", the 629-1 arrived in 1982, with the deletion of recessed cylinders and pinned barrels.

The 629-2E of 1989 had some "Endurance Package" changes such as a hardened yoke and frame, and this model was followed by the 629-3 which added longer stop notches, a bolt block, and a fixed hand.

Any 629 is a fine revolver, and I sure do like my Mountain Revolver after seventeen years of ownership. It kept me CLOSE company in some VERY remote and wild places in Arctic North America, and I was always glad to have it handy.

David R
08-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Some one posted this for me

http://www.handloads.com/misc/Smith.Model.Changes.asp

David

StarMetal
08-01-2006, 05:24 PM
David,

I posted that for you. Thanks for reposting it, as I lost the bookmark.

Joe

AnthonyB
08-01-2006, 05:57 PM
BruceB said "Any 629 is a fine revolver,", and I bought a new Mountain Gun a few months ago thinking the same thing. I don't remember the dash number, but it was from the latest run of stainless MGs in 44. The revolver had a HUGE gap where the barrel shroud met the frame. I pulled out my other Smith's, to inclde a 617 purchased the month before and could find no gap on them at all. I e-mailed Smith, and they agreed to pay shipping for me to return the revolver. They replaced the barrel, and it came back with a larger gap than the original. I e-mailed again, sent it back again, and it came back with a gap about that of the original. I called the Performance Center and asked if I could pay to have a properly fitted barrel installed, and they refused to fit one with no gap. I am MUCH happier with the Ruger 50th Anniversary Flattop that replaced the Smith. Be very careful of current Smith revolvers, especially if you expect a Smith to look like a Smith. Tony

AnthonyB
08-01-2006, 06:34 PM
I didn't mean anything against BruceB in that last post at all. I just re-read the post and want to reiterate that I agreed with him completely until this latest experience. Tony

danski26
08-01-2006, 10:00 PM
Not to hi-jack the thread but I have had a similar experience with my 629 as tony had. Sent it back at my cost after talking with so called customer service and recieved the pistol back after waiting a loooooong time with a one sentence note that said "within factory spec" and now I'm ashamed to sell it to anyone because it sucks so much.

The "1" after the 629 means it is the first REvision of the 629. Mine is a "6" and I still have probs with the cylinder unlocking under recoil and turning backwards.

BruceB
08-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Tony;

Very gracious of you, and I understand perfectly.

I hasten (now) to add that this Mountain Revolver of 1989 vintage is the NEWEST S&W I own, barring a lock-less 642 which is a "family" gun (whoever 'needs it', uses it.) Therefore, my experience does not include owning many of their guns of recent vintage. Since my tastes still run more to blue steel than stainless, this is no surprise when I think of it.

S&W's recent efforts have left me underwhelmed. They seem to be frantically searching for every last niche market they can find, while I believe that what they need to is make GOOD-quality guns in blue finish....look at how well the retro guns like the fixed-sight Thunder Ranch .44 Special have done. Even the Heritage Series was mis-managed, turning out N-frames with ugly round butts and the same for long-barreled K-22s. Color-case-hardened frames on models which never had them originally are also jarring and un-attractive. Then there's the politically-connected integral locks....don't get me going on that!

Stainless guns just need a decent surface on the bare steel before they're out the door, while the blue versions must take a LOT more care and time (i.e.: money) to create that beauty we all know. That's surely the reason that very few blue revolvers leave the plant these days.

I'm grateful that S&W made so many fine revolvers over so many decades. There will be no shortage of REAL Smiths (old ones) in the remainder of my life, although prices are already taking off to a large degree.

Sorry to hear of your difficulties with that recent acquisition.

If anyone here thinks that revolvers are obsolete, by the way, please send all your obsolete S&Ws to me for proper disposition....

danski26
08-01-2006, 10:14 PM
Name a good price and its yours!

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 04:17 PM
If anyone here thinks that revolvers are obsolete, by the way, please send all your obsolete S&Ws to me for proper disposition....

And I'll take all the S/A Rugers, FAs and Colts.....:-D

Dennis

BTW, yes the Thunder Ranch .44 even caught my "S/A only and anti .44 Spl" prejudiced eye. Very nice Smith! I would like J. Miculek grips though I think..(Or a 625 JM in BLUE!) :D

And I'm with you on the "blue steel/nice wood". Guess I'm too old for stainless steel and plastic....

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 04:49 PM
......did I mention that any homeless USA Sevilles are also welcome?

(Especially if they lived at Linebaugh's shop for awhile...)

:-D

Tony:

Let us know how you like the Flattop OK? I assume you got the 50th anniv of .44 mag edition? (Since you wanted a 629 S&W....)

AnthonyB
08-03-2006, 05:18 PM
Dennis, yep, it is the 50th Anniversary model and I love it. The smaller grip frame makes a huge difference in feel compared to the SB. Now I need the funds for one in 357 Magnum, and then a New Vaquero in 45 Colt... Tony

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 05:37 PM
Dennis, yep, it is the 50th Anniversary model and I love it. The smaller grip frame makes a huge difference in feel compared to the SB. Now I need the funds for one in 357 Magnum, and then a New Vaquero in 45 Colt... Tony

Huh...The XR3 (small) grip bites me in the knuckle to the point of flinch! I swapped for an XR3 "red" frame on mine...

How's she shoot? (Or need I ask....heh heh) :-D

Love them Blackhawks, can't have too many!

Dennis

BTW, I like the Anniv .357 FT too but am allergic to 4 5/8 barrels...