PDA

View Full Version : foot pedal operated smelter

jmsj
05-20-2010, 10:53 PM
Here' a picture of top of pot and top linkage
this is the foot pedal and bottom linkage
bottom of pot and spout. The spout has interchangeble tips of varying diameter
this shows the two valve rod guides, the valve seat is directly below them and is a 3/8" radius machined into the spout body
The tip of the valve rod, the tip was turned on a lathe to a 3/8" radius
this is what the smelter and stand look like together.
I used HotGuns design, I merely added a foot pedal and linkage to his design. Like he said in his post, the valve design will hold water. Once in a while it will drip when smelting but that is usuall because I bumped the stand pretty hard. I left a shoulder on the top of the valve rod, this so I could add a weight to help put some pressure on the valve rod to help seat the valve.
This has worked pretty well for me, I have smelted about 800-900 pounds in it so far. I can't say it is better or worse than the turkey fryer/dutch oven set up because this is all I have used other than a hot plate. I am currently building a dutch oven/ industrial water heater burner set up to see the difference. jmsj

Bkid
05-20-2010, 11:01 PM
That is really a very nice set up you built there. I am just in aww ,great job JMSJ. The foot pedal is a nice feature,very creative on your part.

Muddy Creek Sam
05-20-2010, 11:08 PM
Looks Great.

Sam :D

Johnch
05-20-2010, 11:16 PM
I like the idea

But I see 1 down fall of the foot pedal the way you have it

If by chance something was to come in contact with the cable or pedal
The pot would start pouring lead , with or with out you
And posibley causing a safty problem

A covered foot pedal and a inclosed cable would solve my fears
Posibly run the cable through a section of 1/2" thin wall conduit that is atached to the stand

John

jmsj
05-20-2010, 11:27 PM
Bkid, Muddy Creek Sam,
Thanks for the compliments, sorry it took so long to get these posted. I have learned so much from the guys like you here on this site.
johnch,
I see your point . It is hard to see from the photos but the sides of the foot pedal are about 3" taller than the pedal and the operating cable is actually blocked by the shelf that sticks out 6" past the cable. Your ideas would be safer. jmsj

deerslayer
05-21-2010, 12:58 AM
Nice setup!

GP100man
05-21-2010, 07:20 AM
PM for shippin address !!!

dragonrider
05-21-2010, 08:57 AM
I like it, one day I need to build a stand for mine and get it off the steel table that is rusting away.

Johnch
05-22-2010, 04:09 PM
I just tryed to look at your new atachments and got a error message

John

oltimer2
05-22-2010, 05:44 PM
Same for me DAN

jmsj
05-22-2010, 06:04 PM
Sorry guys,
I am just learning about posting pictures. I think I may have accidently deleted the pictures while trying to manage my account.
I think I will have to start a new thread to get the pictures back up. I'll try later this evening. jmsj

jixxerbill
05-29-2010, 10:46 PM
Sorry guys,
I am just learning about posting pictures. I think I may have accidently deleted the pictures while trying to manage my account.
I think I will have to start a new thread to get the pictures back up. I'll try later this evening. jmsj

i think u did lol,,,,it happens...btw id love to see it.....bill

jmsj
05-30-2010, 09:31 AM
jixxerbill,
Look down the list of posts to "foot operated smelter second try"