PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes I do something smart!

1Shirt
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
About a year ago, I got the urge to have as many old loading manuals as I could lay my hands on for reference. I also wanted to fill in the gaps between the older ones I had and some of the more up to date ones. Soooo-started playing around and bidding on manuals on e-bay, and came up with Lymans out of the 40's, and Speers, Hornadys, Sierras, Hogdens, RCBS's etc mostly from the 50's. About the same time I started bidding on some of the old Lyman molds no longer made. Now the smart thing about this, other than the fact that I had to buy the books and molds, was now I had data, recommendations, and just plain interesting stuff.
The Lyman's out of the 40's are a wealth of knowledge, a bit of history pertaining to powder, and insight into the mind sets of casters and cast shooters 40-50 years back. It is great to be able to do comparisons of old data with new data, noting the differences in recommendations of powder charges (obvious changes is powders of the same numbers than in times past), and various recommendations by some of the old timers now long since gone. It is obvious that old 2400 and new 2400 are not the same. It is obvious that a lot of new powders today burn cleaner than they did years back. It is obvious that we are spending a lot more money to load due to the cost of components. (Oh for the days when you could buy 4831 @50 cents a pound in brown paper bags in Shawnee Mission Ka, and pulled 30 cal FMJ bullets for one to two cents each).
One of the things I have noticed about reloaders in the past few years is that a whole lot of the new ones just don't read much. That's a shame in and of itself.
Am always amazed by the looks I get when I am at the range with two or three rifles and only cast loads. There are a lot of shooters who just can't believe that someone is shooting cast down a rifle bbl. that is 30 cal, or 6.5 mm, or .243, and heaven forbid .224. They seem to accept hand guns, particularly wheel guns shooting cast. or in rifles shooting 45-70, or 38-55's or the like. They are amazed when they see 3" or less 100 yd groups with cast. (sometimes even with iron sights---simetimes!) They are amazed that I might shoot 100-150 rounds in a session and not be black and blue from recoil. Always feel kind of sorry for the newbe with a new Weatherby, factory ammo, and limited experiance, knowing he is going to develop a good case of flinch after about 3 rounds. Any way, enough rambling from a cast shooting gezzer, who hopes to be a real old gezzer that is still shooting at 90 or better if he makes it that far. Old reloading manuals, and old molds are like old friends, and all of us who shoot cast ought to have some of each.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Jack Stanley
08-01-2006, 09:47 PM
There's not a thing wrong with your line of logic . Having information the old timers used is like having history before your eyes . It is sad that many don't like to read . If the instructins don't have pictures or some type of pictographs they get frustrated because they just hate to stoop as low as actually reading the instructions .
I got started with cast with a wheelgun and the 358156 'cause it was cheaper than buying jacketed bullets . When I bought a centerfire rifle and found it booted me real hard I tried reduced loads with cast and worked up as recoil tolerance allowed . Today I can shoot two hundred rounds of M-2 ball with out it bothering me . Someday costs may drive me back to using cast in the Garand and I'll have to relearn all it takes to make one work right . A couple years ago I got a deal on factory new Seirra FMJ's for six cents delivered to my door , believe me I took full advantage of that :-D
I still like to go out with a lever carbine and blast a little with cast slugs . my favorites are a 1894c and a Browning 53 . As my eyes heal up I find myself taking them out just for blasting the steel 'chuck . It's hard to be competitive at highpower when you see two front sights doncha know , in the backyard it doesn't matter as much [smilie=1:

Jack

1Shirt
08-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Jack, Can equate to you as I have had catarac surg on both eyes. Unfortunately, neither one was as sucessful as the M.D. or I would have liked. That said, consider myself lucky that I can still see sights, iron or cross hairs. Life is good when your name isn't in the divorce or obituarys listings in the paper, and you are looking at the green side of the grass.
1Shirt:coffee:

PatMarlin
08-03-2006, 11:07 PM
I think now more than ever it's especially important, and up to us to pass on the skill of cast when we can. Get fella's interested. And that's with any skill, especially for young people.

That's the coming problem in America. Passing on skills and crafts, and getting kids to get off the TV and computer, sit down and learn how to figure something out. I was born in 59, but as early as I can remember, my father had those old Popular Mechanics encyclopedias that showed you how to build anything.

I studied and studied those as a little kid, and still cherish the very same set on my shelf today. The media has taken imagination and self inspiration away from kids these days I believe.. :drinks:

Jack Stanley
08-04-2006, 09:18 PM
1Shirt , My wife had cataract surgery about ten years ago . It's easy to tell which eye ......... when the light hits it just right it's got an evil glow about it [smilie=1:

Jack

1Shirt
08-05-2006, 10:16 AM
Jack, Can't be that evil, cause she is definately still around, and more important has allowed you to still be around. God bless the women who put up with casters, and what we do, and all of our quirks.
1Shirt!:coffee: