PDA

View Full Version : In the mood...

Dr.Doug
08-01-2006, 10:10 AM
for a new semi-auto. Probably in 45 ACP. I'd like to feed it lead boolits, and don't want to spend an inordinant amount of time cleaning lead out of the barrel. What's my best bet?

sundog
08-01-2006, 10:27 AM
Doug, how much do you wanna spend? I've been shooting lead in 45 autos almost forever, and I've never had a leading problem. If price is no problem, Kimber. If you don't like 1911s (how could that be?) then maybe a Glock (again - ?????). sundog

9.3X62AL
08-01-2006, 10:53 AM
I really like a friend's Kimber 1911A1. It is one very well-made (and nicely upgraded) target-version 45.

If "something to carry" is on the menu, the SIG-Sauer P-220 is one hell of a fine service 45 pistol. Despite comments to the contrary, these pistols are quite lead-friendly in my experience. I have owned and re-sold 2 of these, and wish I'd retained at least one of them.

Since CCW is involved in my own answer to this question, one other fine pistol that I wouldn't choose for that venue is the CZ-97. It's not BIG like a H&K 23 SOCOM, but it is still pretty large for concealment--as is the Glock 21.

David R
08-01-2006, 11:20 AM
I bought an auto ordinance 20 years ago. It was a crappy gun. Didn't lock up well, terrible trigger and poor finish.

I put a new barrel in it, tried one of those group grippers (in the link) and did my own trigger job. It shot pretty well after that.

Then after having it about 5 years I had a wilson match barel and bushing installed and a Bo Mar rear sight. I also had it polished and blued. Now its a nice looking great shooting gun. I shoot bullseye every sunday morning with it.

I have a lyman 4 cavity 452460. 3.5 grains of Bullseye is mostly all I shoot. NEVER a problem with lead no matter what I shoot out of it or how fast.

Inital investment $300.00 Match barrel and bushing were about $150 installed 15 years ago. I knew I was going to do all that stuff to it, so why buy something expensive?

David

danski26
08-01-2006, 12:26 PM
If you don't have a Lewis Lead Remover.....get one! Never fear cleaning lead out of a pistol barrel again.

Shepherd2
08-01-2006, 03:45 PM
I have an early Kimber that has had many thousands of lead .45s shot thru it. Leading has never been much of a problem.

slughammer
08-01-2006, 07:26 PM
It's one more notch up the ladder above the Kimber.

Buy it from Dawson Precision and have it shipped to an FFL. The money you save on sales tax will make up for the fees.

I recently talked 2 friends into them. I've only handled one of them so far, and it is VERY well fitted.

I think leading in a 45 can be a crap shoot at times. 4 guns all using the same lead load and my Bar-Sto barrel was the only one that leaded. The easiet way to get it out is to use an Outer's Foul Out. Just fill it, flick the switch and walk away.

Four Fingers of Death
08-01-2006, 09:02 PM
The Springfield 'Loaded' is a pretty nice pistola too and the price is right. The STIs are a great gun, but I can't abide that trigger guard. It's gotta look like a 1911 Colt for my money (actually, for me it's gotta actually be a Colt!). Mick.

slughammer
08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
The Springfield 'Loaded' is a pretty nice pistola too and the price is right. The STIs are a great gun, but I can't abide that trigger guard. It's gotta look like a 1911 Colt for my money (actually, for me it's gotta actually be a Colt!). Mick.

Take a look at the Trojan. That is the STI steel frame single stack 1911.

I have 2 Spingfields and they cost me as much money as an STI by the time I was done with them. I have a Colt Commander and it's still a work in progress, needs a properly fit barrel.