PDA

View Full Version : HA, apparently any idiot can do this. :D

rugerp89ipsc
05-20-2010, 12:37 AM
I am so in. Good bye BRD and hello casting craziness.

My wife has been having to hear me go on and on about casting for about 3 months now. Finally got my molds in today and BOOM.

Got 80 WC and 30 RN 358s ready for lube.

I would have done more; however, being a vampire for work and having a wife who isn't, she asked if I would wait so she could cast with me tomorrow after she gets home from work. SO.... I resisted the urge to cast all the lead I have managed to scrounge and only got my feet wet. It took some tinkering, but i think I can throw some tomorrow with her and skip the hour or so it took me to get the hang of ladling for a 6 banger and rotating in my 2 cav mold.

Pics posted soon. A HUGE thank you to everyone, the stickies, the molds, lead golds and youtube for all the help. I am now looking at what other molds I "need" and how much more lead I can come up with. This is just fantastic.

rugerp89ipsc
05-20-2010, 12:41 AM
Seriously, thank you guys all so much. Man that was just great, I have no idea how I am going to go to sleep and wait till after 12pm to cast more. You guys are awesome. Thank you.

Buckshot
05-20-2010, 12:57 AM
.............Sounds like you're gonna need a LOT MORE LEAD! :-)

.............Buckshot

qajaq59
05-20-2010, 04:43 AM
Gee, you think maybe he likes casting? lol

And welcome to the hobby. It is a rather good one.

missionary5155
05-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Good morning
More importantly than ending up with those shinny little orbs is that you realise you do not have to ever sit on the sidelines.. Life is for participents. Casting is just another facet of being free from the main stream, mindless do nothing for yourself, look my hand is out, always dependent on someone else way of life.
I need all the help I can get... but I will do everything I can to be functional and independent.

Bret4207
05-20-2010, 06:53 AM
Good to see someone happy. If I might make a suggestion, just stick with one mould at a time and concentrate of producing quality boolits rather than trying to juggle two moulds. Mould heat seems to be a recurring problem for new casters, it's much easier to control with one mould to worry about.

Vampire hours- BTDT, the single largest blessing of retirement is regular sleep hours.

pjh421
05-20-2010, 08:43 AM
That's really cool that your wife would cast with you. Mine likes the end result but so far hasn't done any casting.

Paul

hoosierlogger
05-20-2010, 09:42 AM
That's really cool that your wife would cast with you. Mine likes the end result but so far hasn't done any casting.

Paul

Mine dont like any of it. I have been trying for a couple of years to get her to go shooting with me, but she is afraid of even a .22.

Wayne Smith
05-20-2010, 10:03 AM
Mine is as competent with a gun as I, arguably a better shot because of better sight and steadier hands. She's just not as interested as I. As a Scot she appreciates how much I save casting and reloading - but to get her to the range is difficult.

Congrats on a wife that is as involved as you. Get her scrounging for lead too, you will need all of it!

Mumblypeg
05-20-2010, 10:40 AM
Seriously, thank you guys all so much. Man that was just great, I have no idea how I am going to go to sleep and wait till after 12pm to cast more. You guys are awesome. Thank you.

Ha! He's hooked now!:drinks:

pjh421
05-20-2010, 10:43 AM
Hoosierlogger,
If you want her to try it make a deal with her. Ask her to think of something she wants you to do (re-floor the kitchen; install a different shower head; whatever) and do it in exchange for her learning to knock over some pop cans with the .22 rifle. You might get a new range partner for life out of the deal when she finds out how much fun it can be. My wife has informed me that all my guns belong to her but I may shoot them whenever I want, just because she's a good sport like that.

Paul

Hickory
05-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Ha! He's hooked now!:drinks:

Yea, we got him now.
Now this site will suck him
dry buying moulds. like this site
is doing me, and others here.

:bigsmyl2:

bigboredad
05-20-2010, 11:51 AM
rugerp89ipsc

that is really great that your wife likes to cast with you. My wife also wants me to wit for her to get home before I start casting. The fun part is when she calls and says she asks if we can cast when she gets home. She even likes smelting and cleaning up the lead for me. she has way mor patience than I do and my lead proves she gets it super clean and we have a great time together. Enjoy your new found hobby and cherish the time you get to spend with your wife sharing a hobby you have the the best of both worlds

rugerp89ipsc
05-20-2010, 12:55 PM
Yeah, my wife is fantastic. In addition to the whole being patient and interested in my hobbies, she is very attractive and loves to cook. I scored big time in that dept.

I think just for simplicity, I will be using one mold at a time. I think it is easier to check the boolits and make sure they are uniform and perfect if I am just dropping one kind then trying to drop, sort and inspect 2 different bullets. Trying to get pics posted, but having some tech difficulties. I may have to rely on Wife when she gets home.

Thanks again everyone. The site has been soo helpful.

bigboredad
05-20-2010, 01:04 PM
sounds like a good plan it won't take long and you'll be able to use 2 and even three molds at time

hoosierlogger
05-20-2010, 01:51 PM
Hoosierlogger,
If you want her to try it make a deal with her. Ask her to think of something she wants you to do (re-floor the kitchen; install a different shower head; whatever) and do it in exchange for her learning to knock over some pop cans with the .22 rifle. You might get a new range partner for life out of the deal when she finds out how much fun it can be. My wife has informed me that all my guns belong to her but I may shoot them whenever I want, just because she's a good sport like that.

Paul

That sounds like a good idea, but I already do all of the handy man stuff she wants done as it is. She did mention one time that she wanted to learn how to shoot a gun so she could shoot the neighbors rooster that comes over and crows in our yard.

rugerp89ipsc
05-20-2010, 03:35 PM
PICS:

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800353/fullsize/0520b10-011.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800355/fullsize/0520b10-010.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800354/fullsize/0520b10-009.jpg

Just camera phone, more later. Thanks again, can't say it enough.

9.3X62AL
05-20-2010, 03:50 PM
Lookin' GOOD!

Marie isn't into casting or reloading, and I'm not much of a cook--but we both enjoy a range day or fishing together. She can plow right through 200-300 9mm rounds in short order, and print good groups right along. She tends to appropriate the occasional new-found war toy, also.

gray wolf
05-20-2010, 05:59 PM
So you say you had a good time Eh ? Well that's great. I guess you could say that's what it's all about, and sharing with the wife adds a cherry on top.
I had to shoot alone today but when I got home I found a nice Apple crumb cake on the counter. I think life is so much better if we can share with the little women.
It doesn't have to be shooting or casting--but if it is then Ya Hoo.
Most of all, I am, and the boy's are, glad you had a good time.

Sam

rugerp89ipsc
05-20-2010, 06:03 PM
Yep, really great, wife threw about 100 bullets for me today and seemed to really have the hang of it with just about 10 minutes of a learning curve. Apparently she really enjoyed it too except for the heat. Going to try to break up my casting by seasons, but not sure I have the self control for that.

I now have about 500 boolits to lube and size. Pan lubing will be the next great adventure. I already prepped about 600 pieces of brass. All they need now are powder and projectiles. Should be a good couple of weeks.

303Guy
05-20-2010, 06:23 PM
rugerp89ipsc, you have a wonderful wife and i can see you appreciate her!:drinks:

Just a thought, why not try your hand at paper patching? There's no real point but it sounds like your good lady would be good at it and have some fun.:mrgreen:

82nd airborne
05-20-2010, 07:05 PM
my wife killed her first two deer last year with rounds she loader herself, that makes hunting all the better!

rugerp89ipsc
05-21-2010, 02:18 AM
few pics of the process for all you masters.

http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800533/fullsize/052110-019.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800538/fullsize/052110-021.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800541/fullsize/052110-023.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800544/fullsize/052110-024.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800551/fullsize/052110-027.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800557/fullsize/052110-029.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800564/fullsize/052110-032.jpg
http://www.supermotors.net/getfile/800569/fullsize/052110-034.jpg

mroliver77
05-21-2010, 12:27 PM
Lookin good! Now too shoot them. It is that much more fun when you know you made them yourself.
I always had a hard time doing things with the wife as I could not keep my hands off her! Even in the woods dressed in camo I would forget about the hunt and ...................... Oh back to the subject, nice boolits!
Jay

bigboredad
05-21-2010, 12:49 PM
looking real good and the lube color is even cool looking. I have the same ladle that you have and a couple things I did that made things easier on the side of the ladle where you want pour drill a small hole I used 3/16 and that made it much easier to pour. Also I see you bent the handle I went a bit further and tried for a right angle. After I did those 2 mods it went A lot easier. I also pan lube as I have more time than money and have found the square cake pans you get at the dollar have worked better for me and to make placing the boolits in the pan easier I use a shell block that holds your cases while you are reloading if you use that and place your boolits in them upside down then just put the pan and your shell block together and flip them over and your boolits are spaced evenly and its a lot less time consuming trying to get them to stand up.

sorry for the long post but I hope some of my tips help you out

rugerp89ipsc
05-21-2010, 01:19 PM
yeah, Wife is an artist, so I have her to thank for the atomic/lime green color. I snagged some free crayons while at Chuys and she did some color scheming for me.

That ladle pictured I am only using for ingots. I splurged when I got the molds and bought an RBSC ladle dipper on clearance from midway. Works pretty well other than being a little small for my tastes. For the the 6 gang mold I have been having to pour 4, scoop again and pour the remaining 2. Works, but just they just made it a hair bigger. . . .

I am definitely going to figure out some way of speeding up the lube process. it was painful setting out each bullet and the dollar pan I got was not flat all the way around, hence the design. Oh well. Don't plan on doing it all in one day again either. I want to get more of an assembly type thing going, where, like with my brass, I spend 1 day casting, nother day lubing, nother sizing. . . and so on.

bullets are pretty sticky after lube. I think i read somewhere on here that a little tac powder helps with that. Oh well, going to try to cast some more tonight and build up my reserves so I can be sure to send those lil guys on a nice fast ride.

John Guedry
05-22-2010, 01:43 PM
Very nice work. I can see both of you really enjoy this and will for years to come.

Shiloh
05-22-2010, 02:12 PM
Nice pics for a camera phone.

Shiloh

Shiloh
05-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Now shoot them. It's called "Making Brass"

rmaster14145
05-22-2010, 02:44 PM
i think getting hooked on black tar heroin would be cheaper in the long run than shooting, reloading and casting. its like it a never ending process, every day you find out there is something else you "need"

since you are already addicted and had your first hit i will suggest this, go to the group buy section and start looking. once you have cast boolits with one that NOE or MIHEC makes you can kiss any "extra" money good bye. the moulds they make are more expensive than lee moulds but once you get their moulds you will see where the extra money went. the moulds are a work of art. they cast trouble free boolits. you will not regret treating yourself to one of their moulds.

congrats man :lol:

rm

wistlepig1
05-22-2010, 05:37 PM
I am so in. Good bye BRD and hello casting craziness.

My wife has been having to hear me go on and on about casting for about 3 months now. Finally got my molds in today and BOOM.

Got 80 WC and 30 RN 358s ready for lube.

I would have done more; however, being a vampire for work and having a wife who isn't, she asked if I would wait so she could cast with me tomorrow after she gets home from work. SO.... I resisted the urge to cast all the lead I have managed to scrounge and only got my feet wet. It took some tinkering, but i think I can throw some tomorrow with her and skip the hour or so it took me to get the hang of ladling for a 6 banger and rotating in my 2 cav mold.

Pics posted soon. A HUGE thank you to everyone, the stickies, the molds, lead golds and youtube for all the help. I am now looking at what other molds I "need" and how much more lead I can come up with. This is just fantastic.

Well group, we have turned another one to the dark side (silver)[smilie=w:

Mk42gunner
05-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I know one thing, your first boolits look a heck of a lot better than mine did. The stickiness of the lube shouldn't be a problem once they are loaded, as long as the bases are wiped off.

Next step is to get a lubrisizer, it makes it a whole lot easier.

Robert

rugerp89ipsc
05-22-2010, 11:01 PM
yeah, think the lube sizer and 4-20 is gonna have to be a bday thing . . . Wife is great, but she is also very keen to financially sound decisions, so we will have to operate with some moderation. My big project right now is going to be to score as much lead as possible. I figured that 104 lbs should get me close to 5k boolits, but I just cannot help myself from attempting to cast every bit of lead I have. I think if I get to the point where I have more lead than I can every reasonably cast, we'll be alright. . . . .

Thanks for the compls on the boolits, I will have to give credit to the site, it's members and youtube for that. I think other than the vast quantities of lead I need to secure, my main goal is going to be to product good boolits in an efficient manner and try to work out a good system for producing bbs. I have a dillion 650 for my 40 and got a breach locker for the 38 spl, so there's a bit of a learning curve for how to work efficiently.

rugerp89ipsc
05-26-2010, 07:17 PM
So I am sure everyone's tired of the *** by now, but I finally got to go out and shoot my wad cutters today and BOY i'll you what, they are accurate!!!

I was very pleased, I shot them out of of my 8 3/8" 686 with 2.4 grns of solo 1000 behind these bullets with some winchester SPPs.

I wish I had a camera with me, bc I know this is going to sound ridiculous; however, with the pistol rested, I was able to get a 1.25" group at 25 and about a 1.5 goup at 40. I was amazed. They were vastly more accurate than the hard cast bullets I had bought from midway when I first set up to load 38.

In addition, they were much less smokey. I believe the brand was hunters supply that I originally bought.

Still working on a steady supply of lead since I have already cast over 1k from my current stock; however, a friend who use to work at a small auto shop is grabbing their WWs for me and with a small amount of browsing around my shootin plate, I see there is plenty of the bullets just laying there ready to be picked up. Guess I need to build a bullet trap . . . .

Thanks again for the help. I will report back when i test out my RN bullets.

No camera today, but hopefully my buddy's cell phone pics came out. This is just fantastic.

Mk42gunner
05-26-2010, 10:14 PM
It is a lot more fun to shoot your own home cast bullets than it is to shoot store bought stuff.

I need to make a bullet trap myself, I'm just waiting for the crumb rubber mulch togo on sale again.

Robert

rugerp89ipsc
05-26-2010, 11:19 PM
It is a lot more fun to shoot your own home cast bullets than it is to shoot store bought stuff.

I need to make a bullet trap myself, I'm just waiting for the crumb rubber mulch togo on sale again.

Robert

hadn't even thought about that. That is an excellent idea.

I may have to grab a HP mold first. Trying to learn more about them, but sure does seem hard to find them for sale. . . .

Wayne Smith
05-27-2010, 10:56 AM
HP molds are not hard to find, just pay for! Miha and BaBore and others here make them. Go down to the Vendors section and look around. The Cramer style are really nice.

Three44s
05-27-2010, 12:04 PM
The couple that casts together ..............

........... stays together!

WTGO MAN!!

Three 44s

rugerp89ipsc
05-27-2010, 12:52 PM
HP molds are not hard to find, just pay for! Miha and BaBore and others here make them. Go down to the Vendors section and look around. The Cramer style are really nice.

yeah, still learning to navigate the site well. Thanks for the heads up and I will go take a look. :D