PDA

View Full Version : RCBS 45-230CM in 45 Auto

vmt_hntr
08-01-2006, 09:04 AM
This is the RCBS cowboy action bullet intended for the 45 Colt, but I find it useful in the 45 Auto, even tho it has a somewhat of a flat nose and a abbreviated rounded ogive.(it is sized .452") I've shot it in a Ruger KP-90 and a Springfield XD and it does quite well. Was tried in a Kimber, also, but the OAL(1.230") and somewhat reduced depth of the single stack mag, resulted in a couple misfeeds. It shoots great otherwise. Will probably fare better, in the Kimber, or other 1911's, with seating this bullet a little beyond the crimp groove and reducing the 6.8 gr Unique charge I was using for the longer length. What say you shooters/casters, anyone else try this bullet in this old war horse?
Bob...

AnthonyB
08-01-2006, 11:04 AM
The 45-230 CM is my mostest favorite boolit in the 45 ACP. It has fed perfectly for me in four full-sized 1911s, one Commander, one Kimber Compact, and two Glocks. I like it SO much that I keep 1K loaded over 6.0 gr. Unique at all times just in case the neighborhood gets overrun with cats. Several fellas here are fans of the 452374 and cite its accuracy advantages, but I can't tell the difference shooting offhand and have never shot any of my 45 ACPs from the bench. I seat them so the case mouth is just below the crimp groove. For my purposes, this is the best all-around 45 ACP design ever. Tony

vmt_hntr
08-01-2006, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the comeback, Tony....didn't realize some areas had a cat problem....you sure this is enuff gun...lol...
I've read in other articles that the .452" diameter bullet won't work in some chambers; and if I back off that 6.8 gr charge and seat this bullet a little deeper. it should do well in most 45's. I need to get busy and cast up a couple thousand of these as my buddy will prolly want to shoot them in his Springfield XD....cheers
Bob...

Cherokee
08-01-2006, 01:31 PM
I use this bullet in 45 Colt for CAS which is why I wanted the group buy to be a duplicate of it. Never used in 45 ACP because I have another great TC design for it that I have used for 20+ years. Guess I'll have to give it a try now. :castmine:

Slowpoke
08-01-2006, 02:44 PM
The 45-230 CM is my mostest favorite boolit in the 45 ACP. It has fed perfectly for me in four full-sized 1911s, one Commander, one Kimber Compact, and two Glocks. I like it SO much that I keep 1K loaded over 6.0 gr. Unique at all times just in case the neighborhood gets overrun with cats. Several fellas here are fans of the 452374 and cite its accuracy advantages, but I can't tell the difference shooting offhand and have never shot any of my 45 ACPs from the bench. I seat them so the case mouth is just below the crimp groove. For my purposes, this is the best all-around 45 ACP design ever. Tony

Well, I think your group buy bullet BD45CM is the best ever.

I have shot up over 5000 of them in the last year, no complaints.

NICE -- NICE -- NICE

If the six cavity Lee ever throws a rod, I will buy a couple of the Rcbs 45 CM's and live happily ever after.

Good luck

AnthonyB
08-01-2006, 03:29 PM
Slowpoke, I agree with you on the BD45CM but didn't mention it because there are no more available - I know I won't sell either of the two I bought! Tony