PDA

View Full Version : RCBS Mold 243-95-SP question

SP101
05-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Perplexed...
If I seat the bullet up to the first driving band the gas check is below the neck and into the shoulder area. If I seat it so that the gas check is in the neck it leaves the first lube grove exposed. Does it hurt anything to have the gas check below the neck and into the shoulder?

DLCTEX
05-19-2010, 09:57 PM
If you can chamber the loads with the lube groove exposed try leaving that groove unlubed. If you have a good lube you may be able to shoot it that way. The draw back to leaving a lubed groove exposed is the danger of dirt and abrasives getting stuck in the lube. As for seating the boolit deeper, again try it and see. Usually not ideal, but sometimes it works. If the bottom lube groove extends into the case you may have the powder stuck in the lube and that may be abrasive also. An alternative would be to leave the top lube groove empty and then tumble lube after lubing the other groove/grooves.

Bret4207
05-20-2010, 07:14 AM
I've been seating some boolits below the neck for years with no ill effects I can determine. I don't...want ( I guess that's the word), to seat them that way, but I need to and it doesn't seem to hurt anything with a GC design IME. With a PB...I dunno, I'm less inclined to think it would work well, but you never know.

reloader28
05-21-2010, 12:31 AM
I'm pretty new to cast rifle, but I've been playing with this same bullet for about 3 weeks now. In my gun, I tried seating it long with the lube groove out and seating it short too. 3/4" group at 100yds either way. I am happy with it. Now I seat them right above the upper lube groove to keep from getting dirt in the lube or having to wipe it out of the groove.

I use 15.5 gr IMR 4198 then .03 gr of polyfil to keep it at the primer but mainly to keep it off the bullet. I aint done much load playing with it however, since I found this load right off the bat.

MT Gianni
05-21-2010, 09:06 AM
reloader 28 try 2400 start with 11 or 12 gr and go to 14 max. I like 12 in mine, seated as yours are.

reloader28
05-22-2010, 10:25 AM
MT Gianni

Thanks partner. Seems like 2400 is popular with casters so I'm going to pick up a can next time I go to town.