PDA

View Full Version : New smelting hazard

44fanatic
05-19-2010, 02:02 PM
...well maybe not new...

Was smelting in the driveway with it being a nice sunny day. Was wearing a decent pair of sunglasses and my eyes are still hurting...

...one other note...drink lots of water

Duckiller
05-19-2010, 03:38 PM
Were your sun glasses Polaroid? They will reduce transmitted light by 50% and seem to be glare free. They do cost a bit ,especially when you need corrective lens but they are well worth it if you don't regularly loose or break them. +1 on drinking water. Failure to do so will result in severe head aches

runfiverun
05-19-2010, 11:22 PM
i wait till summer to smelt.
i start about 8 am and am done at 1100 or so thats when the sun clears the garage and the glare starts.
it takes more sessions to get it done this way, but....

lwknight
05-20-2010, 01:11 AM
Here is another hazard to add to the list.
Lead pipe often has crud with moisture in it. I cut some 3/4 or so lead pipe with pruning shears to smelt. A couple of pieces had moisture in them and popped the pot.
After that I left only about 1/2" lead in the pot and added and stacked up a pile of 5 to 6 inch pipe sections. They preheated in the pot before getting into the melt this time.

casterofboolits
05-20-2010, 08:07 AM
One other thing to pay attention to with water pipe is to make sure the end sticking out of the pot is open to vent steam. I launched a picee of pipe out of the smelting pot and had lead splater all over the place! :holysheep

Lesson learned!

hoosierlogger
05-20-2010, 08:37 AM
I dont like to smelt in the summer because a drop of sweat can jump off of your nose without warning.

dragonrider
05-20-2010, 08:50 AM
I smelt in the spring and fall when it's cool.

KCSO
05-20-2010, 09:17 AM
When I melt lead for hours I tend to smelt too.

Now that I have a gas fired outfit I usually work towards evening when it is cool. I can do about 75 pounds an hour and I precut and ry all my pipe before I start. The W/W and Lino chunks are stored in the garage till it's time to go. The biggest problem is the lead I get from bullet traps. Since I test shotguns too I have to sort out plastic and you can't get it all. It's a smelly mess before you are done.

waksupi
05-20-2010, 09:48 AM
I dont like to smelt in the summer because a drop of sweat can jump off of your nose without warning.

So? Unless it can dive under the surface of the lead (it can't), no big deal.

deerslayer
05-20-2010, 02:54 PM

Yes water still floats on lead and a drop on the surface will just turn to steam and evaporate.

hoosierlogger
05-20-2010, 02:58 PM

So i like to do it when I am not sweating. Thus avoid the chance of getting a drop of sweat on the ladle or dripping it into the bucket of wheel weights and then getting introduced to the pot. sweat on a wheel weight could very easily find its way under the surface.

Springfield
05-20-2010, 03:30 PM
I have one of those pop up covers I put over me when I melt/alloy my lead. I like to do at least 600 lbs at a time and it helps if you aren't
out in the sun the whole time. Cuts down the glare also.