PDA

View Full Version : How about this one -

tomf52
07-31-2006, 09:17 PM
Thank you all for your input on the 30-30 for benchrest. I am going to persue that one but was also wondering about .357 Maximum. I already have this barrel and dies, but never gave it any thought til now. Years ago I shot it some. Jacketed went down the range pretty good but my cast lead used to tumble down the pike. I was shooting 158 LSWC with gas checks. They went all over the place. Was new to loading then and God only knows what I was doing wrong. Question now is could this caliber be taken seriuosly (or at least somewhat seriiously) for benchrest or is it a wasted effort? Thanks again for the help. Tom

Leftoverdj
07-31-2006, 10:53 PM
Depends on your level of competition. Might do well enough at informal club competition among semi serious casters, but would not stand a chance against the guys with specialized rifles and cartridges.

Explorer1
08-19-2006, 01:09 AM
In my IHSMA days, I LOVED my 357 Max (in a Seville revolver). Gun shot FANTASTIC (much better than I).
I ran 79/80 at my last Internationals ('83) shooting RCBS 168 bullets, rang a ram. Watched another fall while I was drawing done on the next, so the bullets were marginal at best. Went back to using strictly 200s for rams after that.
The max got a bad rep due to gas cutting, a problem but less with cast bullets. I had no problems in my SS Seville.
I will be parting with my RCBS 168 mold and a new Lyman 215 if you are interested, few are shooting IHSMA on the West Coast these days.

1Shirt
08-20-2006, 01:25 PM
No reason why the 357 Max will not shoot cast. Recommend you try some of the 180 Beartooth GC. If those won't shoot through yours, I would be very supprised.
1Shirt!