PDA

View Full Version : Metal prices plunged

DLCTEX
05-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Metal prices took a plunge this week according to the scrap metal people in Amarillo. At least aluminum. copper, brass, and iron. I haven't heard any lead prices yet. They are saying to hold scrap until at least the end of the year. Of course I was going to take a big load to sell Friday when I go to help my son move.

randyrat
05-18-2010, 10:02 PM
Today lead was around .78 which is in the bucket compare to a month or two ago when it was over a buck.
I brought in a bucket of clips and some scrap( all prcessed) i got around $12 for 120 lbs. It made it worth collecting scrap, WW clips and dross. Glad i got it in before the price dropped.

257 Shooter
05-19-2010, 12:08 AM
Maybe it is time for a little lead scouting and shopping.

KennethF
05-19-2010, 12:14 AM
WW and soft lead in my area, Centeral Utah, is .65 per pound to buy right now. It has never been higher than .65 here that I know of. Brass is $1.30.

Ken

yarro
05-19-2010, 12:16 AM
Might be because lead stocks are at least at a five year high.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#lmestocks_5years

Given that and this historical price chart then lead is still too high and the long term trend should be down.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical_large.html#5years

-yarro

Bass Ackward
05-19-2010, 09:33 AM
Might be because lead stocks are at least at a five year high.

-yarro

Thanks. Should bring prices down. And if you can drop below .65, that will slow recycling efforts around here. Just ain't worth the gas to get it there.

res45
05-19-2010, 09:48 AM
I took and old bent up aluminum ladder,some old pistons a little scrap steel and five old batteries to the scrap yard couple week ago walked away with $75 from my trouble.

The guy at the pay window told me metal prices were going down I inquired if he had any lead around he said sure do for 30 cents a lb. I have several bags of aluminum cans to take over this week think I'm going to make a trade for the lead if it's the real deal.

DukeInFlorida
05-19-2010, 11:08 AM
I gave my WW clips and dross (four 50# boxes), along with two five gallon buckets of copper jackets (range lead) with dross, to one of my elderly buddies here in this area. He brought it to the scrap yard, and they didn't want to give him anything for it. They didn't even want him to leave the stuff there.

What's up with that?

mike in co
05-19-2010, 03:32 PM
I gave my WW clips and dross (four 50# boxes), along with two five gallon buckets of copper jackets (range lead) with dross, to one of my elderly buddies here in this area. He brought it to the scrap yard, and they didn't want to give him anything for it. They didn't even want him to leave the stuff there.

What's up with that?

the steel aint worth much, and locally i get range lead scrap price for jackets contaminated with lead.

so a nickle a pound for the steel and a 30-40 cents for the copper.

tell him to try asking for "mixed turnings" pricing on the copper

quack1
05-20-2010, 07:30 AM
The scrap yard here in town won't take the jackets left from smelting range scrap. Wouldn't even let me leave it there just to get rid of it, had to take it back home and put it out for the garbage collection. Can't figure that out, it's not like they don't take stuff related to shooting, as they buy brass cartridges.

Wots
08-12-2010, 07:29 PM
Just got back from a scrap yard in North West Indiana. Lead is going for .43 per pound for fishing weights. Same pricing for WW. Good or bad price?

fatelk
08-12-2010, 08:26 PM
The scrap yard here in town won't take the jackets left from smelting range scrap
This must vary by the yard. I took some in last month and they gave me $2.30 per pound for it.

I'm pretty careful to keep the dross out of it, tap the molten lead out of each one, and pick out any aluminum or steel, but they still are grungy looking. I had less than 20 lbs from a couple years accumulation because I don't use much range scrap, but it still made it well worth while.

On the other hand, none of the scrap yards I've asked at around here will sell any lead at all.

stephen perry
08-12-2010, 08:58 PM
At my tire shop that's what a 5 gallon bucket WW is worth. Like I said earlier for now I've given up on the small grungee WW and wait for the 1/2 lb and 1 lb truck weights, less clips no grunge. I get several buckets a year maybe more, besides the guy appreciates the beer.

Stephen Perry
Angeles BR

imashooter2
08-12-2010, 09:00 PM
LOL! My buddy at work emailed me this morning and told me his wife found an article that said lead was $2K per pound. I told him if that were true I'd be living on a beach somewhere with a 7 million dollar bank account. That and people would be holding up Walmarts for their ammo.

08-12-2010, 11:09 PM
man, i wish that I could find a scrap yard in the area that would sell me lead NONE of the ones i've called will sell to the public.

ScottJ
08-12-2010, 11:15 PM
Just bought my 2nd 5 gallon bucket of wheel weights for $25.

I bought a bucket of scrap collected from an indoor range for $20 a few monts back.

Both sit waiting for it to cool off enough that I'm willing to sit near a burning turkey fryer.

lwknight
08-13-2010, 01:05 AM
Lead is up 25% for the week to $0.95 from a long stay at about $0.75 or so.
It had hit $1.00 for a short time.

pistolman44
08-13-2010, 12:36 PM
I have been paying $10 for a 5 gl. bucket of range lead. Guy at the tire store charges me $10 for any amount he has, I usually wait till he has at least 5 gal bucket full. The last time I bought WW from a scrap yard was 7 mo. ago and he charged me .25 a pound. I just bought some linotype metal on Ebay paid $1 a pound. I have been looking in my area for linotype to mix with some of my WW.

snsbpb
08-13-2010, 01:46 PM
The short term trend in metal MAY be down, but the long term trend in metal is going to be way up. When the dollar goes jiggy, the metals will shine more and more and more.

BLTsandwedge
08-13-2010, 08:17 PM
What shows up in the WSJ are spot prices on virgin lead. Futures are then based on that price. Good example....Dell makes and/or has contractors make PC monitors. There's lead in the monitors; Dell will contract for X tons of lead to take delivery 6 months from now for today's spot price plus or minus something. That something is based on negotiations- those negotiations have everything to do with availability and whether forecasts suggest the price will go up or down.

We get to buy lead at whatever our little corner of the world will sell it to us for. Now, and this is no joke, if we constructed a consortium of small buyers, say 200 people willing to buy 500 pounds each, we too could execute a futures contract with delivery. The latter is the biotch- no one is going to split 50 tons of lead and ship it to 200 different locations. But with a little effort it is thinkable of doing regional buys.