PDA

View Full Version : Out of round bullets Lee TL358-158

stang68
05-18-2010, 04:37 PM
My Lee 2 cavity TL358-158 mold is consistently dropping bullets that measure .358 at the smallest diameter to .360 at the largest. A .003 difference seems unacceptable to me and I should return it, what say you? It's been the same over 3 different casting sessions. Yesterday I cleaned up the mold with dish soap and brake cleaner and re-smoked it with the same results. At the parting line ( if that's what it's called), it's right where I want it at .359.

Bass Ackward
05-18-2010, 04:48 PM
No offense, but how can you be sure that it is the mold? And you could be right, most often I find it ain't the mold.

I had one I questioned for a few years of molding only to find that it liked to be run about 50 degrees cooler. Once I discovered this, everything was nice and round until I changed mixes again and then it needed to be brought up 50 degrees.

My point is that a mold can only be cut so accurately and the most perfect mold ever made, might cast out of round with some mixes at the wrong temps.

Sad part is that eventually, they will all cast out of round as the blocks wear. So it is good that they make nice round sizers. :grin:

NSP64
05-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Just smoosh them through a sizer and fire away. As long as they are out of round equally on 90* from the parting line the spin should be balanced. Run through the sizer then measure again.

pdawg_shooter
05-18-2010, 05:56 PM
I would be willing to bet that by the time you shove down a round barrel with thousands of pounds of pressure behind it will be fairly round!

stang68
05-18-2010, 06:23 PM
I was thinkin' the same thing pdawg, that by the time they left the muzzle they would be round, and they shot pretty well out of my Marlin 1894. The reason I don't want a sizer is that my Microgroove Marlin has to have oversized bullets, it likes .359 at least. .358 bullets shoot groups that look like buckshot at 50 yds. so I was happy with the bullets dropping oversized I was just wondering what you experienced casters would have to say about the out of round.

yarro
05-18-2010, 07:03 PM
If you think that it is the mold and you want the cavities to be a uniform .360 then just look here http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=47669

Not only would this true your mold, it would make bullets drop easier. I had to do one of my two Lee molds as it was out of round and didn't want to drop the bullets from the cavities. Never had an issue with any of my iron molds from other makers.

-yarro

stang68
05-18-2010, 07:19 PM
Thanks Yarro, I read that some time ago, read as much as I could while waiting for my equipment and since. I'm a little leary about using lapping compound, may try it with Comet. I know I would have trouble centering a screw so that it wouldn't wobble much. My bullets drop from the mold good since my last cleanup and resmoking. Before that my last casting session produced pitted bullets, I guess grease got in the mold. It's performing like a champ today, just the out of round issue.

Dale53
05-18-2010, 07:49 PM
One of the problems with Lee two cavity moulds is that they may not properly align the mould blocks when closed. The alignment surfaces need lubricated. Most lubricants will cause serious problems in their own right (burning on and keeping the blocks from closing, etc). However, lubing with Bull Shop's Sprueplate lube on the alignment surfaces (follow the directions) will solve the alignment problems. The problem originates from the "steel to aluminum" features of the Lee two cavity blocks. They will gall, stick, and keep the blocks from closing properly.

FWIW
Dale53

DLCTEX
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Lapping a mould with the screw set off center is not a big problem. Just chuck the screw in the drill and turn slowly, letting the drill wobble to it's heart's content. The wobble of your wrist will allow the boolit to turn centered by the mould. Another thing to help with mould alignment, besides Bullplate lube, is to set the mould on a flat surface as you close it. I have a piece of 1 X 6 Ash wood that serves well to align the blocks.

stang68
05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
I used Permatex anti-seize as recommended by someone on this forum for the alignment pins, sprue plate screw, etc. Is that not a good thing? I guess I will try lapping the mold if my next trip to the range on Thursday gives me unsat results, if I mess it up they're not that expensive. Thanks to all for the helpful recommendations

MtGun44
05-18-2010, 11:33 PM
First thing is that is only .002 out of round and second that is not much of a deal, actually.
Lube, size and use or just lube and use. Probably be as good as a TL ever can be.

Bill

troy7769
05-18-2010, 11:57 PM
mold and melt is not hot enough. I had the same problem and after alot of help from the wonderful folks on this site I keep trying untill I got it right. HOT is good in my Lee mold, and my guess is it will be good in yours as well.

stang68
05-19-2010, 12:03 AM
Thanks but I'm getting some frosting so that seems to indicate that the lead is hot enough and the sprue cuts easily when I get the mold hot enough but still no change. As I said earlier and as Mtgun44 said not a big deal if they shoot well.

stang68
05-19-2010, 02:29 PM
Thanks to all for the advice, you've helped clear up a few things in my head:

1. I don't need to contact Lee about returning my mold.
2. The difference is .002 not the .003 I mentioned in my first post.
3. The bullet is more than likely round when it leaves the barrel.
4. If I decide to lap the mold, it doesn't matter if the lap bullet wobbles slightly.

This is one great forum!!

DCP
05-19-2010, 02:42 PM
So it is good that they make nice round sizers. :grin:[/QUOTE]

OK

I will bite.

I have never heard of one and a internet search didnt help

What is a round ball sizer and who makes them?

smlekid
05-19-2010, 05:56 PM
So it is good that they make nice round sizers. :grin:

OK

I will bite.

I have never heard of one and a internet search didnt help

What is a round ball sizer and who makes them?[/QUOTE]

I think he means the sizer is round and makes boolits round

jimmeyjack
05-19-2010, 07:07 PM
If I could get a Lee mould that was only .002-.003 out of round, thats all I would buy.