PDA

View Full Version : model 64 stumper

jballs918
07-31-2006, 06:44 PM
ok guys, i got a good one for you older guys. my dad gave me a model 64 winchester in 32ws. well here is the stumper. i called winchester today and tried to get some info on it. the reason i was wondering is becuase talking to a gentleman i found out that i may have a traper model becuase of the lyman peep site that was on it. well glenn at winchester was very peasant to deal with and we started talking about the model i had. he said all the records where lost in a fire. now here is where it takes a twist. my winchester only has a 16 inch barrel. no such thing per glenn. but it has the orginal ramp site still on it. if this was a cut job this was done very very well. by a gunsmith that know exactly what he was doing, i'm talking old school stuff here. now my question is how can i tell if this was a cut job or it was a custom. i know this will effect the value but good or bad. please chime in and tell me what you all think. it really stinks that i cant figure out the value of this rifle. i need it for insurance reasons. thanks guys. also if anyone know maybe a good site where i also could post this, that would be great also.

StarMetal
07-31-2006, 09:31 PM
Well for one thing you'd have to have another original to compare the crowns. More then likely if a smith did cut the barrel it would be alittle work to match the crown on the original. Not saying that it couldn't be done. Next if it was cut back wouldn't the muzzle then appear thicker then the original since the barrels are tapered? Down the face of the muzzle look pretty thick? I know on the current run of trappers the muzzle are thin. Another thing is comparing how far back from the face of the muzzle the sight is with the original.

Joe

jballs918
07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
well joe thanks for the info. i made a mistake on the lenth, it was 20 inch barrel. which coinsides with what glenn said. so this it what i found out today. it is a winchester model 64 trapper with the 20inch carbine barrel made in 1935. the gun is all orignal equipment on it except for the site screw on the lyman peep site. not a problem they still make thise i will get it replaced. the value on the gun is about 750 to 800 or so they said. so it will go back in the closet where it belongs for a nice sleep until i get the ich to shot it agian. now if i can just come up with a name for it. i assume its a her. any ideas guys

StarMetal
07-31-2006, 10:02 PM
Names:

Willene, Windy, Winnie, Winona, Wynona, Willa, Waneta, Wanda,

Paul B
08-04-2006, 03:51 PM
I think what you have is a Model 64 CARBINE. They are a bit more scarce than the standard rifle. Like the standard rifle, they came in two versions, STANDARD and DELUXE. The Standard had a plain stock and no checkering while the De Luxe was checkered, nicer wood, and factory installed sling mounts. (I won't call them swivels as they don't swivel.) Also, a nice leather sling cam with the fancier model.
Currently, I have one each Standard and De Luxe versions of the M64 in rifle form. Mine are chambered to the 30-30. I'm still kicking myself for not buying an M64 De Luxe in .219 Zipper that was selling for the ridiculously low price of $500.
JMHO, but of all the rifles Winchester made based on the Model 94, I belive the M64 in 24" barreled rifle form has to be one of the best balance rifles ever made. Interesting point; The stock and forearm of the M64 were designed by Col. Townsend Whelen. He also designed the stock and forearm of the Winchester M71. I'd dearly love to find another one of those.
My Stanard M64 was made in 1951 and the de Luxe was made in 1938.
Paul B.

9.3X62AL
08-04-2006, 07:17 PM
Another vote for the "Carbine" nomenclature over "Trapper". It would be a plain shame to turn that fine little rifle into a closet queen--and 32 WS brass is easy to make from 30-30, if scarce ammo becomes an issue.

PatMarlin
08-05-2006, 02:26 AM
Call her Elizabeth H. ......:mrgreen: