PDA

View Full Version : Lubing an 8MM 326407

Bob J
05-18-2010, 08:23 AM
Ok, so my son bought a mauser and I thought this would be a great boolit for it.... The question I have to ask is how do you guys lube something that has all these (6) lube grooves? Everything I have cast up to now only has a couple at most..... Does this lube any different on my star or do I have to do something different?

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=64602

Would much appreciate the benefit of your experience here.....

Calamity Jake
05-18-2010, 08:31 AM
On the lovern style boolits I just lube the bottom 4 grooves(includes the area above the GC)
and it seems to be plenty of lube. If your star will let you do that go for it, if not you may need to pan lube or get some one to add a couple of lube holes in your star die.

dragonrider
05-18-2010, 08:50 AM
I made a die and punch to fit that boolit for my Star.

jonk
05-18-2010, 09:01 AM
While I don't have that mold in particular, with the molds with many grooves I too just lube a few of them. This may impact accuracy. I have 1 that for gun A I lube only 2 of 6, another where I lube for gun B 5 of 6.

I don't have a star so I can't help there, but with my RCBS unit it will lube all 6 if I want.

Bob J
05-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Thanks guys! Sounds like I should have the die made to potentially lube all the grooves and then plug the fill holes as necessary to get enough lube.....

Much appreciate the help!

Blammer
05-18-2010, 02:02 PM
I lube all of them except the top two. Easier and less thinking required on my part. :)

Bob J
05-18-2010, 03:31 PM
I lube all of them except the top two. Easier and less thinking required on my part. :)

Thanks Blammer!

One quick question..... Do you use a lubrisizer or do you pan lube? Also, if you use a lubrisizer, do you have fill problems with all these little lube grooves?

Blammer
05-18-2010, 04:58 PM
I use a lyman 450 and no, i don't have problems filling all those grooves. I throw a tad of heat to my lube if it's not filling out all the way.

Bob J
05-19-2010, 06:50 AM
Thanks everyone...... Much appreciate the help and insight!

runfiverun
05-19-2010, 11:49 PM
if i want all the grooves filled on a loverign i just melt the lube dip the g/c'd boolit in it and run through the apppropriate sizer it'll scrape the lube off for you.
i usually end up wiping a few grooves empty before it's all said and done so i just fill the bottom few and leave it at that.
it's faster with the star that way and is all the lube i need most of my rifle designs only have one lube groove anyways.
and filling five with that much more lube is usually a hinderance in the accuracy dept.
if i want less bearing surface i dip , size , wipe.
if i want more i seat the check and dry size then lube.

1Shirt
05-20-2010, 12:04 AM
I lube all the grooves cause they look good and I don't intend to get them in the dirt. Lube is cheap!
1Shirt!:coffee:

Blammer
05-20-2010, 08:24 AM
I figure a little dirt and lint with the lube will help polish the bore nicely. :D

Char-Gar
05-20-2010, 02:52 PM
On Loverin style bullets I lube only the grooves in the case neck providing that is at least three. I have never had a problem doing this.