PDA

View Full Version : castor oil / mineral oil

hiram
07-31-2006, 04:47 PM
As an ingredient for a bullet lube, what do you think is preferred -- castor or mineral oil?

felix
07-31-2006, 06:49 PM
Both have different uses and properties. When both are used together, then they must be cooked together. You can use castor oil without cooking it only when there is no petro products included within the lube. ... felix

StarMetal
07-31-2006, 09:26 PM
Felix,

Isn't it the castor oil that has the amazing ability to flow towards heat then away from it? I'm talking about real castor oil, not Castrol motor oil.

Most all the equipment aboard the destroyer I was on during my Naval duty ran on real mineral oil. Never had a problem with anything do to oil.

Joe

felix
07-31-2006, 09:44 PM
Correct, Joe. Castor oil provides heat protection not required when water cooling is always 100 percent effective. Nowadays motor oil uses petro polymers (additives) instead of the real thing. The real thing will get gummy after being heated so long as in an engine, especially during an Indy race. The "motor oil" had to be drained immediately after the race in those days. If adding pure castor oil to motor oil, which should not be done anymore, the max percentage should only be 2 to 3 percent by volume. ... felix

carpetman
07-31-2006, 09:47 PM
I think both castor oil and mineral oil will prevent constipation.

waksupi
07-31-2006, 10:55 PM
I think both castor oil and mineral oil will prevent constipation.

Ray, they will definitely cure a cough. You don't dare, after a dose!

GP100man
07-31-2006, 11:23 PM
my grandma (bless her in every way)had a what she called 3/4 table spoon,when Isaw her go to special hiding place for it, all I could think about was run & fast!!!!she al ways got me though

fatnhappy
07-31-2006, 11:40 PM
my grandma (bless her in every way)had a what she called 3/4 table spoon,when Isaw her go to special hiding place for it, all I could think about was run & fast!!!!she al ways got me though

lucky you. we got cod fish oil.