1stSkink
05-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I came across this earlier:

WWVA lube;
4 oz. paraffin
4 oz petroleum jelly
2 oz. Lee Liquid Alox
2 heaping tablespoons Johnsons Paste Wax [carnuba wax]

I am a cheap kinda guy, so I was looking for lubes with out beeswax ($$$). Will thsi work for <1000fps pistol boolits>

thanks,
skink

Ben
05-17-2010, 11:06 PM
Almost any lube should work in that speed range. Give it a try and report back to us on how well it works.

prs
05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
Soy wax is relatively inexpensive and subs for beeswax at least fair.

prs

Bass Ackward
05-18-2010, 01:30 PM
I came across this earlier:

WWVA lube;
4 oz. paraffin
4 oz petroleum jelly
2 oz. Lee Liquid Alox
2 heaping tablespoons Johnsons Paste Wax [carnuba wax]

I am a cheap kinda guy, so I was looking for lubes with out beeswax ($$$). Will thsi work for <1000fps pistol boolits>

thanks,
skink

Paraffin and petroleum jelly are mainstays in LBT Blue. Add more vasaline and you get Blue Soft. I like to add carnuaba to everything, but it isn't that high in JPW so I don't know how much that is going to do for ya. Bet that you may be OK from those three components. Maybe some ivory soap to bind it up so that it doesn't run when it gets warm or sits.

Not sure how the LLA is going to work in / help there.

1stSkink
05-18-2010, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the replies. btw what does LBT stand for?

skink

stubshaft
05-19-2010, 02:27 AM
Thanks for the replies. btw what does LBT stand for?

skink

Lead Bullet Technology One of the pioneers of custom mould making.

Your recipe resembles a modified Emmerts lube. The funny thing is that I can get Beeswax cheaper from RandyRat then I can get paraffin locally!

Good luck on your lube making![smilie=s:

Pirate69
05-19-2010, 06:27 AM
I substitued a new toilet wax ring for bees wax in my wax ring/paraffin/STP mixture. Seems to be working with 44 mags, 30-06 and 303. Looks like my mix melts around 140 F.