PDA

View Full Version : Cast bullets/Trail Boss

Greg M
05-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I plan to cast .379 bullets for my .375 H&H with Trail Boss for powder. Just for fun, no hunting use. I purchased a .375 die for my Saeco Lubri-Sizer. My question is will the Trail Boss create enough pressure to obturate the cast bullet enough to effectively seal the bullet in the bore?

Thanks in advance.

acsteve
05-17-2010, 10:30 PM
I love trail boss. I have been plinking with 9.3x62, a nearly full case, about 95% full with a seated boolit. the neck expands fully so the pressure is not particularly low. From the reading I have done in the Hodgden anual load magazine, the listed presures should be moderate but not particularly low either. But as some have mentioned, the velocity might be too slow to impart the proper spin for long range shooting. In my gun it is around !000ft/s. Quite fun to play with.

wallenba
05-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I love that stuff, only that 9oz bottle does not last long. You'll just have to try it to see if it does. I use the IMR formula for unlisted loads. http://www.imrpowder.com/PDF/Trail-Boss-data.pdf good plinking loads, and safe.

zuke
05-18-2010, 07:45 AM
I tried it in my Marlin 45-70. Got'em mixed up with a couple full house load's while plinking at a beaver dam.
The full house were going right thru a 16 inch poplar, no problem.Then I had one that sounded low and realized what happened. Put a couple them into the same tree and theyalso went thru the tree.
15 grains of T.B under a 350 grain Lee that I had paper patched.

Ed Gallop
05-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I picked up an IMR Trail Boss booklet with load data and have been using it in my 45 Colt for cowboy loads for over a year with no complaints. It is an unusual looking disk powder and seems to work just fine. A container doesn't last as long as Unique (or other type). Not sure if it is any better or more costly. I haven't fired it at the same time with others to compare but it does seem to shoot smoother, a little more like black powder. I could be wrong because I think my engine runs better after washing the car.

excavman
05-18-2010, 10:28 AM
I have used TB in 30-30, 30-40, 270win and 45-70. I find that using the same weight of TB as you would Unique in light plinking loads will give you about 100-200 less velocity. Pleasant to shoot but not quite as accurate as Unique in MHO.

Larry

bigboredad
05-18-2010, 10:42 AM
tb is one of my favorite powders. I use it in my .357, .45 colt, .45acp and .45/70 It works great for cast lead and I've never had a problem with leading in anything I load. 9ounces is all they can fit in a can and as others said it is quite easy to empty a bottle. but they do make bigger bottles. I'm sure it would work well for you and you should have a lot of fun and it will allow you to get to know your rifle with out beating your shoulder

JeffinNZ
05-18-2010, 06:16 PM
I still consider the burn rate of Trailboss a bit quick for what most of us want. I would like to see ADI/Hodgdon come up with a similarly 'fluffy' powder with a burn rate of H4227-H4198.

Greg M
05-18-2010, 08:16 PM
Thanks to all who posted. My supply of TB arrived and I can start making rounds with a lot more confidence than I had prior to this post. BTW, full power 270 and 300 grain rounds from a .375 H&H are a hoot to shoot when standing, but hell on the shoulder from the bench. Terminal prescription for Alaskan Moose.