PDA

View Full Version : what was I thinking??

jhalcott
07-31-2006, 09:32 AM
I found a bag of steel balls from bearings "procured" when I was employed. they are quarter inch in diameter. I used them for cat chasers with my wrist rocket sling shot. I had a thought about dropping them into a 35 cal mold so I wouldn't have to have the mold modified. After sleeping on the idea, I remembered steel is lighter than lead!:confused:

Buckshot
08-01-2006, 01:23 AM
...............Yeah, but you're THINKING! Maybe if you held it down with a toothpick when you poured in the lead? Put a big ole magnet on the bottom of the mould?

.............Buckshot

georgeld
08-01-2006, 02:07 AM
use it in melted parafin wax in shotgun shells. as kids we used them and glass marbles to blow hole's thru tie fence posts!

The wax keeps them away from the bore, those days we used the old felt type wads, nothing was plastic then. It started coming along in other products about that time, or a few yrs later.

Man, that was a long time ago huh? Before plastic?? Before TV? Gas was a dime or 15 cents half the time and 17 the rest. New tire's best made were $20, recaps $8-10 depending on size and whether you furnished the carcass or not.

Ahhh, guns were $10-40 too. Powder 50 cents, or ten bucks for 25lbs in a wood keg. Primers 35cents/100, .22's $5 a carton.

Anyone else old enough to remember those days in the 50's?

XBT
08-01-2006, 09:58 AM
George, you’re an ooooold guy! I can’t remember any of that stuff.:mrgreen:

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y9/retiredBT/bs.gif

Bullshop
08-01-2006, 12:34 PM
I have two old Herters molds for very pointy 25 cal boolits. I wanted to make them more usfull for small game. I kind of use your idea with air gun BB's. I put a plate on top of the pot and pree heat the BB's in a tuna can.
They block off a portion of the nose and lighten the weight a bit. Most of them fall away when the boolit drops from the mold leaving a fat hollow point. I never had any trouble with the BB wanting to swap ends in the mold when pouring. Might be cause I never thought of it, suppose?
BIC/BS

felix
08-01-2006, 12:38 PM
BB's are cold, right? Should be. The lead freezes too fast for the BB's to rise. ... felix

1Shirt
08-01-2006, 02:01 PM
I feel sorry for those who can't remember the old(er) days, w/less laws, more freedoms, no PITA, no Libs, more common sense.
1Shirt!:coffee:

45 2.1
08-01-2006, 02:12 PM
I feel sorry for those who can't remember the old(er) days, w/less laws, more freedoms, no PITA, no Libs, more common sense.
1Shirt!:coffee:

Ain't that the truth!

Bad luck Bill
08-07-2006, 11:59 AM
Hell! I'm only 34 and I can remember better days! Back when I was a kid you could still light fires in parks and stay all night if you wanted. Nowadays the cops come and chase you away, of course before they do they try and search/put there dick beaters through all yer stuff! It's few and far between when you get a cop that remembers what he's here for...to protect and serve...not to act like a jack-booted thug! I still meet up with some of the older officers who tend to be a lot more respectful and aren't trying to make Captain in their first year! I wish we wern't losing so many of the good ones, seems like most of the younger ones have all been brainwashed!

jhalcott
08-07-2006, 01:23 PM
well it kinda worked. the balls did not stay centered though.Some times they were half covered and fell right out after cooling.Many were almost 3/4 covered and trapped in the nose.I could cut them out leaving an off center HP. Maybe I have to send the mold to buckshot for a pin job. But then I can't go back to a RN>