PDA

View Full Version : Levergun rebarreling

Marlin Junky
07-30-2006, 07:19 PM
I'm looking for a good levergunsmith in the Yellowstone area to rebarrel a .444 to .356. I only shoot poured projectiles.

Any input?

MJ

Jumptrap
07-30-2006, 07:23 PM
I'm looking for a good levergunsmith in the Yellowstone area to rebarrel a .444 to .356. I only shoot poured projectiles.

Any input?

MJ

Yeah...Dennis Olson in Plains Montana. Can't be beat. has the personality of a stump but a fine 'smith. He rebarreled a 95 winchester from '06 to 35 whelen for me and it looks like factory work. Your pockets ought to be semi deep though.

Marlin Junky
07-31-2006, 03:00 AM
How much are we talkin' about here? Less than the cost of a new rifle, right?

MJ

Char-Gar
07-31-2006, 07:50 AM
My first centerfire rifle in 1955 was a Winchester 94 takedown rifle in 30-30 WCF and I have been fond of them since that time. I also have bolt, single shot, pump and autoloading rifles, but the lever is well represented.

I had it drilled into my head as a young shooter that what mattered was that one well placed shot. Windage and elevation, breath control, sight pictre and trigger squeeze for that one shot were the mantras. All rifles were single shots, no mattere wht type the action and the magazine, if any, was just a handy place to carry extra ammo. I have never been able to make the break from that thinking and I still do understand folks who more or less use their rifles as noise makers.

The front row of the gun safe is mostly filled with levergun, but there are some bolts there as well.

Paco's site (levergun.com) is a good one although Paco seldom posts anything and the politics and social commentary can get very thick. Hyper left wing thinking seems to be the predominate thinking over there. However that is probably true of most gun related sites.

I like the the try and stick to guns and bullet casting here. I don't need any more disagreement in my life. I have enough of those with my wife, whom I love dearly,

Char-Gar
07-31-2006, 08:46 AM
In re the post above... ERRATA --- make that hyper right wing.

Four Fingers of Death
07-31-2006, 09:34 AM
Always fancied those take downs and got the hots for those take dwns that came (and went) in the 2006 Winchester cattledog. :-( Mick.

Marlin Junky
07-31-2006, 06:20 PM
Jumptrap,

Is this the smith you're talking about?:

Dennis Olsen, Box 334, 500 First Street, Plains, Montana 59859

Do you have a phone number or email?

MJ

frank505
07-31-2006, 06:36 PM
try Ben Forkin in White Sulphur Springs, he used to work for Hamilton Bowen but got tired of Tennessee. Shop phone is 406 547 2344

LET-CA
07-31-2006, 07:49 PM
In re the post above... ERRATA --- make that hyper right wing.

I was scratching my head before I saw your correction. I've always thought of myself as being fairly conservative, but if that site represented the far-left. . .

:-D

omgb
07-31-2006, 07:58 PM
There's a smith operating out of West Yellowstone that does good work. I wish I could remember his name however, he is the ONLY smith with a shop in West Yellowstone. He does a lot of work on Olympic target rifles but IIRC, he knows his way around a LA as well.

beagle
07-31-2006, 11:36 PM
Not Jumptrap but here's Dennis's e-mail. He's done 4 rebarrells for me on levers and I've been happy with them all. Does damn fine work. He normally uses Douglas premium grade barrels and the work on a lever runs around $400 which includes the barrel. Not bad coinsidering a lever job normally involves about 3 dovetail cuts, a relief mill for the magazine tube and a blue job. This will vary depending on what you want I reckon./beagle

Dennis Olson
dgolson@plainsmt.net
P.O. Box 337
500 First Street
Pla.ins Montana 59859
Phone: 406-826-3790
Company: Olson Gunsmithing

Jumptrap,

Is this the smith you're talking about?:

Dennis Olsen, Box 334, 500 First Street, Plains, Montana 59859

Do you have a phone number or email?

MJ

Jumptrap
08-01-2006, 12:42 AM
How much are we talkin' about here? Less than the cost of a new rifle, right?

MJ

Hehehehehehehe.....that was a joke, right?

I told you your pockets ought to be semi-deep! it cost me $500 to have the new 95 rebarreled, blued, D&T'd for a peep and a new frnot sight installed. Seems like he slicked the action a bit too. This was....oh, 4 or 5 years ago. Barrel is a Douglas. I have no regrets. But, I wanted something that couldn't be bought. If I wanted something common, i wouldn't waste my money. The only thing I dream about having done now, is a marlin in 25-35....the safe needs a new queen.

Marlin Junky
08-01-2006, 05:37 AM
Jumptrap/Beagle...

No joke... 5 clams is less than the cost of a new 336 and 3 plus clams less than the cost of a used factory 336 in .356 Winchester... assuming one can be found for sale.

Thanks for the assistance.

MJ

waksupi
08-01-2006, 09:03 AM
I do know that Dennnis recently took on a new man, who is a hell of a detail man. Probably equal or above Dennis in many areas. So, the wait period should be a bit less than in the past. The new guy doesn't like talking on the phone anymore than Dennis does. If you call and start bending thier ear on non-business related chat, expect your project to not only be set back, but more expensive!

Jumptrap
08-01-2006, 02:38 PM
I do know that Dennnis recently took on a new man, who is a hell of a detail man. Probably equal or above Dennis in many areas. So, the wait period should be a bit less than in the past. The new guy doesn't like talking on the phone anymore than Dennis does. If you call and start bending thier ear on non-business related chat, expect your project to not only be set back, but more expensive!

Ric,

I think the main difference is the fact that those of us south of the Mason-Dixon are natural born ********ters and we like to get to know a feller a bit, espeically if we are doing business with them. Southern etiqutte is being friendly, talking the time to talk and be helpful. But, I realize everybody isn't like us and if they have no personality...no big deal, just do the work and do it well...the end is all the same. Olsen does good work.

Marlin Junky
08-01-2006, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the tip... I'll send Dennis an email to get the ball rollin'.

Personally, I don't like talking' on the phone either when there's work to be done. I guess that makes me a Northerner even though I've got Virginian blood.

:-D

Thanks again,
MJ

Four Fingers of Death
08-01-2006, 08:49 PM

I was in business a long time ago and can appreciate that time is money, when I was listening to someone bend my ear, I stopped earning.

When I speak with a gunsmith (or other tradesman for that matter) I write a note (even if I am visiting the shop), first to make sure I cover all of the points that I wanted to cover and stick to the point making the call or visit as quick (and as effective) as possible. I usually follow up by sending a written summary of the conversation as well. I also point out that they are not to take shortcuts to save money, but are to contact me if they don't feel that they should proceed. I had trouble with a gunsmith who was doing up my wife's old 22 Browning medallist. It took awhile to convince him that I wanted it restored for her and didn't care that the job was going to cost as much as a good second hand one. He was convinced that I should replace the buggered springs and sell it off. But this was my wife's first and only pistol and she loves it dearly. Once he had it in writing, he was happy to proceed as per my instructions.

This rifle will be yours and yours alone and by being a piece individually crafted for you will give you enormous satisfaction. Dn't spoil it by skimping, even if you have to spend more time saving up for it.

Keep us posted.

Mick.

Marlin Junky
08-02-2006, 06:03 AM
I sent Dennis an email yesterday and told him I was a bullet casting hobbiest. I ask how much it would cost for blah-blah-blah and what options do I have for bore and groove diameters, barrel quality and throat geometry. I said I'd like to drop the gun off in early October. I forgot to ask about twist!

About twist... I want my .356 to drive tacks with 150's to 250's but I'm leaning towards a 14" twist 'cause in reality, a more suitable boolit weight range may be 180 to 250 grains or maybe a bit more on the top end.

MJ

Beagle,

The email address dgolson@plainsmt.net does not work. I'll just give him a call.