PDA

View Full Version : New Member

David R
05-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Howdy Folks,
I am glad I found your web site. I have been casting boolits since 1987. I shoot handguns regularly, and an now into Cast rifle shooting too. My local club just this year made it legal to use center fire rifles for the siloette match. We have to shoot at the big center fire pistol targets, so I am hoping for some perfect scores.

I have had a contender in 32-20 for a long time that shoots 1 1/4" goups at 100 lyds with a 118 gr gc LEE mold. I tried to shoot lead out of a 1917 enfield, but not get under 2" no matter what I did. NOW I am working with a rem 700 VS in 22-250.

I am using the Lyman tapered design 55 gr gc. My first attempts were OK, but then I tried to use pure linotype and they shoot worse. I just got a .225 sizing die yesterday. I am thinking that might help. The first shot is right off the target. The gun will shoot just over 1/4 @ 100 yards with jaketed stuff, but I can't make jacket here.

Nice to meet everyone
David

Bass Ackward
05-07-2005, 06:08 PM
I tried to shoot lead out of a 1917 enfield, but not get under 2" no matter what I did.

I am using the Lyman tapered design 55 gr gc. My first attempts were OK, but then I tried to use pure linotype and they shoot worse. I just got a .225 sizing die yesterday. I am thinking that might help. The first shot is right off the target. The gun will shoot just over 1/4 @ 100 yards with jaketed stuff, but I can't make jacket here.

Nice to meet everyone
David

David,

Welcome. Check the military rifles section for the 1917. You should see improvement with the 225 die. Bet you would love a .226. But there is one way to be sure, slug the throat.

Buckshot
05-12-2005, 02:47 AM
................Hello David and welcome to the board. For the M1917 and it's lack of accuracy I'd check bedding. I assume that the barrel is in good shape and since you've been casting so long you know about boolit diamters and all that.

Since the rifle has a fairly long stock, 2 piece handguard and barrel band and noseband, there are quite a few places the barrel can bind up. I have a Remington 1917 and the barrel floats. Accuracy is very darn good. See the military board and my 'New to Me' thread. Not that floating the barrel will be the answer.

I did not intentionally float the barrel on mine. Just turned out that way. You can grab it around the nosecap and with light finger pressure the barrel can be moved around a bit. Not a great deal, but enough so you know it's not touching anything. Sometimes a bit of bedding under the barrel ahead of the action will help instead of fully floating it.

...............Buckshot

David R
05-12-2005, 04:54 PM
Buckshot,

I "sporterized" the rifle. I tossed the stuff in front of the stock. Got rid of the barrel band and hand guard. I just finished a stock, and the barrel is free floated. I just think its a lemon. I tried everything I could do. When shooting lead the front sight is drifted a loong ways to the left. It shoots things that resemble groups, but I could never get it to do what I want or expect. It does shoot 180 jacketed into about 2" @ 100 on a good day with the sight in the center.

I want a 308 anyhow. Maybe when I grow up. :)

Having too much fun with the 22-250 these days. Down to 1 1/4" or so @ 100. Going for undere 1". With lead of course.