PDA

View Full Version : -Oatmeal as a filler ? And LBT Blue Soft.

christian
05-16-2010, 03:44 PM
Hallo Guys.

I have a .500 A-Square rifle.

-And I have a problem with a cast bullet sticking down into the powderspace.
(And "No",- I can't increase overall lengths on this load.)

-I plan on using a filler.

1. -How do you guys feel about using oatmeal as a filler?

2. And on to something a bit different,- Any problem melting LBT Blue Soft, and use
it to dip or roll castbullets in ?!

Thanks for all info.

Chr.

hansumtoad
05-16-2010, 03:52 PM
What bullet and what powder are you comtemplating using?

35remington
05-16-2010, 04:03 PM
A filler that is rather heavy and moisture absorbent (oatmeal) can be improved on by a great many other possibilities, including dacron and poly filler.

Forget oatmeal. There's a reason why you haven't heard of it being used very often.

leadman
05-16-2010, 07:31 PM
Cream of Wheat is similar to oatmeal in consistency. I have used it but do not recommend it as it raises pressures quite a bit in my experience.
I have used poly fill successfully. The shotgun fillers like Grex are supposed to be good but I have not used them.

LBT Blue Soft is an excellent lube. It can be applied by rubbing it on the lube grooves if you do not have a luber sizer. Be aware it is sticky and will make you fingers blue so wear gloves.
It does not allow the lead to solder to the bore so if you see any leading in the bore it should push out with a tight patch.

44man
05-17-2010, 08:24 AM
A bag of garnetted fiberfill will last a lifetime and is dirt cheap.
I would never use a filler that can absorb moisture or pack into a plug. I have seen some fillers pack so hard they can become a secondary projectile. These add to boolit weight and make working loads difficult.