PDA

View Full Version : How many loaded guns at home?

jim4065
05-16-2010, 03:39 PM
Had to stop and count. Surprising. :shock:

So how many loaded handguns, shotguns and rifles (or muskets) are in your home proper? Not the car or garage or barn or stuffed in a buried container. By loaded, I'm including "with a loaded magazine but empty chamber" but not including "loaded magazine stored separately" unless there's one in the chamber. The poll is anonymous.

Ole
05-16-2010, 03:43 PM
One. Bedside GP100. Rest are in gun safe.

dk17hmr
05-16-2010, 03:48 PM
I have 2, a 1911 with 3 loaded mags one in the chamber and my Keltec 32ACP with 3 loaded mags and one in the chamber, these 2 are my main carry guns.

There are loaded AR15 magazines in my truck in a GI mag pouch and also a stack on top of my safe, all my pistol magazines are loaded as are my speed loaders for the revolvers, the buttstock cartridge carrier on my rifles are loaded full. Pratically any gun I grab will be ready to go in moments. I am not much of a shotgunner but there are several boxes of magnum and game loads close to my 12 gauge.

NVcurmudgeon
05-16-2010, 03:55 PM
"Do ya feel lucky, punk. Well, do ya?"

mike in co
05-16-2010, 03:58 PM
at least one on each floor plus a loaded shotgun...not saying how many more

hoosierlogger
05-16-2010, 04:08 PM
.380 bersa bedside, and a Taurus 85 ultra light .38 Special ready to go where I go.

gon2shoot
05-16-2010, 04:13 PM
Enough probably, more than enough according to some folks.

Three-Fifty-Seven
05-16-2010, 04:21 PM
Can there ever be enough?:lol:

I have most of the ones not in the safe, loaded, and a few in the safe are also loaded.

One might wish that they visited my neighbors instead . . .

DLCTEX
05-16-2010, 04:26 PM
With the rash of home invasions in Amarillo I think more citizens need to arm themselves and send a message to the punks that their occupation is hazardous to their health.

GT27
05-16-2010, 04:29 PM
12 gauge pump, corner of bedroom,P64 in the nitestand...

Guesser
05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
Its like that old sign out at the salvage yard:
Premises guarded by armed guard 4 nights of each week

wiersy111
05-16-2010, 05:03 PM
To many stupid people trying to make a quick buck now a days. Almost all of my guns are in certain places for certain reasons but all are loaded or can be within a few seconds. It's pretty rural out here and the local Law enforcement is probably 20-30 minutes away.

jsizemore
05-16-2010, 05:12 PM
I use the Harry Beckwith idea of reloading your weapon. The more loaded guns you have the less time you have to spend reloading. Of course, you must be proficient with all.

miestro_jerry
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I carry one all the time, have two small safes around the house. The rest are in my gun safes.

Jerry

mooman76
05-16-2010, 05:34 PM
You tell me. In all the excitment I lost track myself!

Wayne Smith
05-16-2010, 05:40 PM
No way I'm posting that on a public forum! Let's just say enough.

SciFiJim
05-16-2010, 05:54 PM
My first thought was "All of them", but then I remembered that I am working on one at the moment. So, all but one.

TexRebel
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
Every gun i own is loaded

Harter66
05-16-2010, 05:55 PM
As my mother said to the cop " ain't much count if it ain't loaded"

Shooter6br
05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
Lets see A Sig 45acp 250 at my night stand (carry gun also"Dont leave home without it"A H&R 32 S&W Long in a metal tin box on my living room tabl( at close range is equal to 380)and an Rem 870 with # 2 buck in my upstairs room.I use a "Smartcarry holster for the Sig

GP100man
05-16-2010, 06:05 PM
All of `em !!! but I checked 10

gray wolf
05-16-2010, 06:06 PM
I'm sure the Government trolls are taking notes as we speak.
I find questions like these a little invasive, and none of anyones concern but mine.
Just my opinion.

casterofboolits
05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Enough to get the job done!

AZ-Stew
05-16-2010, 06:25 PM
Not enough. Too many grandkids who are not old enough for the proper discipline and training.

Regards,

Stew

ga_red_rider
05-16-2010, 06:58 PM
With a teen in the house All are secure except one, my 45 it resides on my hip always

MT Gianni
05-16-2010, 07:25 PM
None if you count one in the spout, loaded mag in gun ready to rack is a different story.

imashooter2
05-16-2010, 07:51 PM
My 360 daily carry, a P11 answer the door gun and a Mossberg 500 to do any heavy lifting.

I find that adequate in my local. If I lived elsewhere I might have more or less.

3006guns
05-16-2010, 08:10 PM
Just one........a little stainless S@W 2" loaded with wadcutters. I have a good 12 ga. "riot" shotgun that I SHOULD use, but the little Smith sits in my nightstand and is easy to get to in a hurry. Everything else sits.......oiled, waiting.

Adam10mm
05-16-2010, 08:13 PM
Just the gun I carry.

1874Sharps
05-16-2010, 08:17 PM
Well now, I have several. One for each hand and a couple just in case I learn how to use my toes!

44fanatic
05-16-2010, 10:37 PM
Two, each w/ one in the chamber and a full mag underneath. One is usually on my hip, the other in a quick access safe in the closet. To many younger kids in the house to trust one in the nightstand.

rondog
05-17-2010, 12:47 AM
Um, couple here, couple there.....

geargnasher
05-17-2010, 01:27 AM
If you show up at my house, uninvited, after hours, you'll get some idea. :bigsmyl2:

Gear

a.squibload
05-17-2010, 01:38 AM
If I told you, I'd have to shoot you...:kidding:

Including HERS: 5.

Richard B
05-17-2010, 07:36 AM
none as it is illegal to have a loaded gun in your home in Canada

swynn
05-17-2010, 08:12 AM
Only three..

One in safe on wifes side of bed,one in safe on my side of the bed......
These are the quick access safes........

One in pants pocket all the time..

Ron
05-17-2010, 09:07 AM
None, it's not legal to have guns any place but in a safe when not being used at the range. Guns in one safe, ammunition in another. Such is life when living in Australia.

big dale
05-17-2010, 09:31 AM
Let's just say the bullpup stays loaded and there is always at least one loaded handgun within reach.

Big Dale

mroliver77
05-17-2010, 09:34 AM
None, it's not legal to have guns any place but in a safe when not being used at the range. Guns in one safe, ammunition in another. Such is life when living in Australia.

And coming to a town near you soon!
Jay

jim4065
05-17-2010, 10:00 AM
Ya know - you don't have to post if you don't want. The poll is open to all members, whether or not they post. The poll is also anonymous so your response is secret. (Except maybe to admin???) (And , of course, the Evil DEA, FBI, CIA, IRS et al.)

Never even considered responses from brothers in foreign countries - kinda surprising to see all the "None" responses. Lots of work to do. :bigsmyl2:

pdawg_shooter
05-17-2010, 10:19 AM
All of them. If you know they are loaded you treat them that way. No accidents.

deerslayer
05-17-2010, 10:23 AM
I usually have my carry gun loaded and another handgun loaded and put in a strategic location for the wife and daughter if I am not home. That was always the dish towel drawer until my youngest daughter was born now it is up high. Also have a shotgun loaded and at the ready. I guess I should have read closer before I answered though the only gun that keeps one in the pipe is my carry gun when being carried only. Can rack one in quick if needed and that extra second is definetely worth my little ones safety if she did climb up and get ahold of one.

Very interesting rules from Canada and Australia interesting but very unwanted here.

BruceB
05-17-2010, 10:56 AM
Those who have never lived under the draconian regulations of such places as Britain, Canada and Australia can't imagine what it's like.

As one who lived fifty years in Canada, I can only extend my heartfelt sympathies. Even the so-called "conservatives" in these countries have no interest whatever in relaxing the harsh laws against those who desire more freedom to use their firearms.

For some years, I actually held a permit to carry my handguns in the bush due to my employment (AND knowing the local NCO commanding the RCMP detachment). It was revoked for NO REASON except "we don't issue those any more." I just continued carrying anyway.

Most Canadians in rural areas simply ignore the stupid laws and also "carry anyway" as required. However, this does nothing for those who want to protect themselves or their families in urban areas where the more-serious problems are evident.

Here in Nevada, I can carry a gun openly. I can carry a hidden gun, and also a loaded gun anywhere in my vehicle in any state of readiness I select. I don't need permits to take a gun shooting, nor a gunsafe subject to government inspection. After all those years under the Canadian jackboot regulations, I am in a shooter's Heaven.

"Legal" doesn't necessarily mean "right". "Illegal" doesn't necessarily mean "wrong". And, "concealed" means "CONCEALED". Every individual has to decide on his or her own actions....

"How many loaded guns at home?" AS MANY AS I WANT!

ktw
05-17-2010, 11:50 AM
Never even considered responses from brothers in foreign countries - kinda surprising to see all the "None" responses. Lots of work to do. :bigsmyl2:

I voted "None".

Firearms are my hobby. I am not the least bit concerned about the possibility of home invasion. I don't feel compelled to get a concealed carry permit for the purpose of self defense. I have never purchased a firearm for the purpose of self defense, yet I have a fair number of them.

Unless you lead a bachelor/hermit lifestyle, I consider having loaded firearms laying around the house to present a much greater risk of someone getting hurt than the possibility that a stranger will break in with the intent to do bodily harm.

This doesn't constitute a political position as to whether or not other people should be allowed to. If, for some reason, I felt there was a significant risk of being attacked I'd probably have a different view on it.

-ktw

KCSO
05-17-2010, 12:06 PM
As far as we are concerned all guns are always loaded. If I open the safe and hand a rifle to my grandson he will crank it open and check the chamber and he's 8. We train 'em young.

badgeredd
05-17-2010, 12:17 PM
NUNYA

Edd

Changeling
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
House guns stay loaded, if not they might as well be a rock!!! All friends KNOW they are loaded.

chief3
05-17-2010, 03:53 PM
I agree with KTW . Where I live there is no need for a loaded gun in the house. Having said that , I support the right of others to have whatever they need to protect themselves.

rb dave
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
I have three loaded most of the time and wife has 1 loaded at all times where we know they are. All locked in quick safes. We respect all firearms as loaded at all times!! Safety first you know

NSP64
05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Always at least 1.

I have a spare tire for my car. I don't ever plan on using it, but I still have it.
A gun is a tool, better to have and not need, than to need and not have.

Charley
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
Carry guns are always loaded, discretely stored, but available. No children or grandchildren to worry about. House guns are ready as well, but not obvious.
Home invasions aren't common here, but do happen.

Bloodman14
05-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Geargnasher, +1!

excavman
05-17-2010, 07:22 PM
I beleive it was Jeff Cooper who had the three code colors of readiness. White was "fat, dumb and happy" ready to become a victim if the situation presents itself. Yellow was "moderate level of awareness" ready to take action if need be. Red was "aware of surroundings, alert for dangerous situations" armed and ready for just about anything. I like to stay at the yellow alert even in my own home and be ready to go red with a loaded gun within reach. Even an inocent knock on the door in the middle of the day could be dangerous in some areas of the country.

Larry

Leadforbrains
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
None. I have only one boolit and I keep it in my shirt pocket.

excavman
05-17-2010, 07:46 PM
As a volunteer firefighter I hear other firefighters squawk about guns and ammo in a burning house. I tell them exploding ammo and smokeless powder won't do them any harm, even ammo in a magazine. Where the real problem might be is when someone has a loaded gun with a round in the chamber, heat could set it off sending the bullet in a dangerous direction at full velocity. My pump shotgun is loaded but nothing in the chamber. My auto pistol has a full mag but an empty chamber. My revolver has an empty under the hammer. No unpleasant surprises for the fireman.

Larry

Bulltipper
05-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Cant seem to find it in my heart to leave those handguns go hungry...

WallyM3
05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
I guess you could say that I have the usual bed-side greeter. In addition, I have, from time to time, other guns in company with speed loaders salted here and there. These don't count in the survey. They do count in the extreme.

Bkid
05-18-2010, 12:40 AM
Well it is over 10 that is for sure.LMAO

deerslayer
05-18-2010, 11:54 PM
As a volunteer firefighter I hear other firefighters squawk about guns and ammo in a burning house. I tell them exploding ammo and smokeless powder won't do them any harm, even ammo in a magazine. Where the real problem might be is when someone has a loaded gun with a round in the chamber, heat could set it off sending the bullet in a dangerous direction at full velocity. My pump shotgun is loaded but nothing in the chamber. My auto pistol has a full mag but an empty chamber. My revolver has an empty under the hammer. No unpleasant surprises for the fireman.

Larry

I agree Larry I am also a volunteer firefighter and you are absolutely right the only time a bullet poses a danger in a fire is in the chamber.
This brings us to are they poited in a safe direction even when in wait.

missionary5155
05-19-2010, 05:10 AM
Good morning
One revolver in every end of the house and high use room plus a 44-40 for me and a 12 mossy for my wife. When stuff happens it is always unsuspected, fast and if something is not handy you may not have time to run anywhere.

SCIBUL
05-20-2010, 04:09 AM
Only one : my duty pistol.

alamogunr
05-20-2010, 11:29 AM
I just voted. That is all that counts!

John
W.TN

leftiye
05-20-2010, 07:43 PM
I'll never tell (let it be a surprise).

clong
05-22-2010, 11:04 PM
All of them.

shooterg
05-23-2010, 11:27 AM
3 when I'm home(counts the .380 always in my pocket)

jim4065
05-25-2010, 01:20 AM
Hooray! Someone finally said 9. I was afraid Obama'd have to announce another Stimulus Plan.

Suo Gan
05-25-2010, 01:25 AM
My goal is to have one round available to be busted for every criminal and sex offender in my area...I am losing ground and must buy more clips soon.

a.squibload
05-26-2010, 01:40 AM
Hooray! Someone finally said 9. I was afraid Obama'd have to announce another Stimulus Plan.

In the interest of public safety and to further stimulate the economy the fedral gummint announced today
it will be issuing checks to any disadvantaged gun owner who owns less than a dozen firearms.
Acceptance of these checks requires a commitment to purchase a minimum of three new or used firearms of any type,
style, or manufacturer, and ammo for each. We know it's tough but ya gotta do it for your country.
Also henceforth by prezidental decree all reloaders are appointed official lead recyclers.
The Natural Gaurd will begin free deliveries in your area next week...

SciFiJim
05-26-2010, 02:04 AM
In the interest of public safety and to further stimulate the economy the fedral gummint announced today
it will be issuing checks to any disadvantaged gun owner who owns less than a dozen firearms.
Acceptance of these checks requires a commitment to purchase a minimum of three new or used firearms of any type,
style, or manufacturer, and ammo for each. We know it's tough but ya gotta do it for your country.
Also henceforth by prezidental decree all reloaders are appointed official lead recyclers.

Dang, that would just about take care of all of the preamble to the Constitution.

establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity,

Where do I sign up?

a.squibload
05-27-2010, 05:33 AM
I was watching TV, saw that on CNN...

then I woke up.

Jbar4Ranch
05-27-2010, 11:19 AM
I checked six, but thought of another one afterward, so I'm in for seven.

RP
06-11-2010, 09:01 PM
no loaded guns you guys must not of heard its the unloaded guns that kill people.

EOD3
06-12-2010, 10:23 PM
OK, where did the "all of them" selection go? :-P

EOD3
06-12-2010, 10:27 PM

So it'll be like welfare mixed with the book of the month club? :?:

a.squibload
06-13-2010, 12:50 AM
What's a "book"?
:>)
I guess it would be easier for me to swallow the idea of an income tax if there was a program like this.
I guess I'm needy/greedy/selfish but would like to get some of it back instead of having it all go to liberal social engineering.
Also thinking about a "government whiskey" program but expecting some resistance...

EOD3
06-13-2010, 09:59 PM
I guess it would be easier for me to swallow the idea of an income tax if there was a program like this.
I guess I'm needy/greedy/selfish but would like to get some of it back instead of having it all go to liberal social engineering.
Also thinking about a "government whiskey" program but expecting some resistance...

Nothing greedy about keeping the fruits of your labor. If we kept more of our money, the pin-heads would have less to give away to the "hate America" countries and every illegal alien with a sense of direction. The "legitimate" functions of the goober-ment could be easily funded by import duties.

They don't call me Grumpy for nothing, you know. :x

bearcove
06-13-2010, 10:13 PM
Guns?

I'm just here to study the theoretical relationship between primitive projectiles and modern firearms that Ruger, Freedom Arms, Marlin,... manufacture. I purchase these modern marvels of machine tool art for their asthetic values. The idea that I would keep a loaded gun in my home is.... ..well

Well maybe a few.

WRideout
06-13-2010, 10:38 PM
What's a "book"?
:>)

In our blessed commonwealth, you can only buy whiskey from the state. Unless of course you live in SW PA, aka Pennsyltucky (the product is a little more clear, though).

Wrideout

Razor
06-13-2010, 10:43 PM
a .45 Vaquero 'n a 12ga pump 7 rd scattergun

06-13-2010, 11:24 PM
1955 wingmaster 12g by the bed after the baby starts walking and getting into things, it will be a handgun in safe by the bed.

a.squibload
06-15-2010, 05:10 AM
In our blessed commonwealth, you can only buy whiskey from the state. Unless of course you live in SW PA, aka Pennsyltucky (the product is a little more clear, though).

Wrideout

+1 on the clear stuff, I figure "aged" was forgot in the basement!

Oops, end of thread hijack...