PDA

View Full Version : How to eliminate extra steps

kbstenberg
05-16-2010, 08:24 AM
I have now progressed from tumble lubing to pan lubing. A miner irritation (to me) has been in cleaning the lube from the bottom of the cooled bullets. I have bin either just wiping the basses on a towel that has some paint thinner on it, then whipping on a clean dry towel. Or if they have a heavy coat of lube, i first lightly scrape with a razer blade then do the towel clean.
Very time consuming, tedious work.
If some one knows a short step please let me know!!
I usually use a cookie cutter to cut the bullets from the lube cake. I have thought that as i cut the still warm lubed bullets from the lube and they are still in the cutter. That i could wipe the basses on a towel, or across a hard sharp object to clear most of the excess lube from the bullet basses.
I know. If i had a lube/sizer i wouldn't have the problem! I will have one as soon as i can set the funds aside for it.
Kevin

44man
05-16-2010, 08:32 AM
My home made cookie cutter has a rod in it. I push it over a boolit, push the boolit back out a little and wipe it across a dry rag, then push it out onto the bench.
Being still in the cutter, I have the force to wipe the base clean.

kbstenberg
05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
Thank you 44man
Kevin

Bass Ackward
05-16-2010, 09:03 AM
Place a sheet of wax paper in the tray you are going to use for this that is long enough to hang over the sides so you can grab hold.
Stack / stand your bullets up so that the base is down against the container and lube can get around them good.
Pour in hot, melted lube.
Then stick the whole thing in the refrigerator / freezer until the lube .... stiffens good.
Lift up on the wax paper and the whole slab will come out in your hand and you can push the bullets straight out with your thumb.

There will be no lube on the bases. The PIA is stacking the slugs now. Always something.

Rockydog
05-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I bought a piece of 1/4 in hardware cloth and cut it to fit my lubing pan. I left a few strips of wire around the outside of the cut to hang on the pan edge to control depth. I put it in the pan and stand .223 and .243 boolits in the squares in a checkerboard pattern. No tipping over! I did have to push a tapered punch slightly into the every other square for the .243 as they were too tight. After the lube cools I pick it up first and then flip the cake over and push the bullets out. Gonna get some 1/2 in for 30 cal too. RD