PDA

View Full Version : Problem with Lyman 323470?

Shakey Jakey
05-15-2010, 09:28 PM
Just finished casting a batch of boolits for my Yugo 48A. Lyman 323470 mold, straight wheelweight alloy, water drop. Everything looked great until I put the calipers on the boolits and found them to be .323 at the parting line and .3185 at 90 degrees from it. Do I have a bad mould or a problem with my delivery? From my studies on the board most claim to get .3235 to .325 from the same mould. I sized a few and the .323 sizing die polished up the parting line area only, as would be expected with those measurements. Insight and advise would be great. Thanks in advance.

beagle
05-15-2010, 11:07 PM
Looks like you got a small one. Mine runs a bit over .325"./beagle

Shakey Jakey
05-16-2010, 12:23 AM
After posting I did a search and discovered that Lyman quality isnt what it used to be. I have 2 other Lyman moulds from the early 80's and they are perfect. I bought it about a year ago so not much chance of sending it back to midsouth. Will I get anywhere sending it to Lyman?

largom
05-16-2010, 06:29 AM
I bought mine from Midsouth about a year ago and it drops at .325. I would send the mould back to Lyman.

Larry

Larry Gibson
05-16-2010, 08:55 AM
After posting I did a search and discovered that Lyman quality isnt what it used to be. I have 2 other Lyman moulds from the early 80's and they are perfect. I bought it about a year ago so not much chance of sending it back to midsouth. Will I get anywhere sending it to Lyman?

Before you give discredit to Lyman let me suggest that you recast some more bullets. Add 2% tin to your alloy, make sure mold is clean and the vent lines are clear and cast a bit hotter. If you are using a bottom pour furnace adjust the spout to allow the alloy to come out quicker. It sounds to me more like the mould is simply not filling out.

Larry Gibson