PDA

View Full Version : Non Toxic round balls

Johnch
05-15-2010, 07:46 PM
I was looking on the Balistic Products site a little earlyer and saw they now are stocking 2 different sized RB's for 50 cal
ITX .50 cal non-toxic Roundball (12 balls) (http://www.ballisticproducts.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TXRB50)ITX™ .487" or .490" non-toxic roundball slug (12 balls per pkg.) 10 g/cc

Only $11.99 per 12 ....OUCH !!!!!

I guess they are for you muzzel loaders that are hunting for Condors :kidding:

John

docone31
05-15-2010, 07:50 PM
new use for zinc?

Johnch
05-15-2010, 08:08 PM
No the pellets are Tungsten based and about the same density as lead and almost as soft

As I bought some of the shot last year for duck hunting
But they were not quite as proud of it then and the price was 33% lower

John

stubshaft
05-16-2010, 06:35 AM
They look like they have a "flat" area around the circumference. I wonder how hard it would be to insure they are centered when loaded. But at that price I would not be loading and shooting very many.

northmn
05-16-2010, 09:01 AM
There was a discussion about them on another site. The "ring" around them may assist in loading as ITX is harder than wheelweight. Also the "Blackcloud" steel load uses that principle which is supposed to be more lethal on ducks. They will not expand at ML velocities as they are pretty hard (conjecture but I would be amazed if they would) thier use is best left to an area where no tox is required. Probably a result of the findings of lead in donated venison for food shelfs. the Minnesota DNR did a very good study on that and found that pure lead bullets like shot gun slugs do not contaminate meat to any extent. The contamination was mainly that of using more frangible bullets in a HV rifle. ML's using either slugs or round ball would not fragment enough to cause a problem. As to the buzzards or Bald Eagles finding lead in carcases, the same would hold. In my neck of the woods you see a lot of Eagles sitting over road kills and there has been some discussion as the effect on them as for Condors. As most deer loads blow through deer it may not be of as much concern as some would make it, especially as most of us retrieve our game.

Northmn

missionary5155
05-16-2010, 09:23 AM
Good morning
So why not just use a ball bearing ? I shoot .685 BB out of my double Fox B 12 guage using a regular plastic shot cup. I shoot straight WW out of my Muzzle loaders for plinking. A good thick patch (which you would have to use on TUNGSTUN) and you Non toxic without the high price.
Any trucking repair or industrial electric motor repair usually has a good supply in the trash barrel. A box of dounuts and out the door you go with a years supply.

frontier gander
05-17-2010, 01:31 AM
im currently testing these right now. Tomorrow i hope to shoot them again and see how they do.
http://gandersmuzzleloadingblog.blogspot.com/2010/04/tombob-outdoors-llc.html