PDA

View Full Version : Primer residue by maker.

JeffinNZ
05-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Team.

I have been prepping .243 brass for my brother today and observed this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v505/JeffinNZ/Shooting%20stuff/DSCN1633.jpg

The Selliers & Bellot (sp) primer pockets are clean, the Winchester are filthy. All once fired factory.

Johnch
05-15-2010, 08:16 PM
Interesting !!

By chance , were the Winchester cases allowed to sit around a while ?
As I have had cases that sat around in my basement look like the Winchester's
But cases out of the same lot , that were drprimed soon after being shot
Didn't display the crud

I have never used Sellier & Bellot 243 cases
But I love their 303 cases
I just neck size , but I have only had 1 case need to be pitched in a number of reloads

John

shooting on a shoestring
05-15-2010, 11:15 PM
This sort of thing is great entertainment. One of the reasons I love reloading. So much to explore, learn, see, wonder about. Much better than guessing which way the murder plot is going to play out on some TV show.

To the point, I would expect primers to leave varying amounts of debris/fouling depending on primer composition. However, there's lots of by-products during the powder combustiion that I would expect to also inhabit the primer pocket. Thats assuming the primer burns out before the powder charge burns out. So, it could well be that fouling is dependent upon the powder/primer combination, and I'll bet that lower pressures favor more crud.

JeffinNZ
05-16-2010, 12:54 AM
Well judging by the flattened primers on S&B factory rounds they are not loading squibs. Good point SoaS.

44man
05-16-2010, 07:44 AM
A lot of this is from the powder. I use the same primers in a lot of cases. The .44 to .475 will have filthy pockets but the 45-70 using 4759 never has any carbon at all in the pockets and even the entire case is clean. They can be loaded without even tumbling, I have never seen brass stay so clean.
Since you don't know what powder was used in the factory loads, you can't pin it down.
It would be interesting to see results with different powders from other fellas.

dale2242
05-16-2010, 05:30 PM
I`m with 44man. I`m guessing the powder is producing the crud. I would suspect the primer manufacturers are pretty much using the same priming compound. I f any one knows differently, let us know. Very interesting thread....dale

lwknight
05-16-2010, 09:08 PM
When you knock the primer out of Speer cases they look new like never fired inside and out.
They have super clean powder. At least in the 9mm and 40s that I pick up on the range

JeffinNZ
05-16-2010, 11:44 PM
Maybe the culprit is ball powder then. Anyone carry a M16A1 in the late 60's?

WallyM3
05-16-2010, 11:54 PM
Nope, we still had M-14s in the 70s. (LOL) And Garands.

The latest pistol brass I've been processing has produced shining primer pockets in Federal ammo.

Changeling
05-17-2010, 03:55 PM
FWIW, I performed a test several years ago as controlled as I could get it with Remington 700 actions custom barreled with Lilja barrels in 243, 6mil Ackley, and 6mil Remington. The test involved several different things I wanted to find out at the time. As for primers I found Federal primers to be better across the board than all the rest. Just thought you might want to know.

JIMinPHX
05-17-2010, 04:27 PM
The brass in Win NT factory loads comes out super clean when you fire them. Not all Winchester stuff burns dirty.

JeffinNZ
05-17-2010, 06:21 PM
Nope, we still had M-14s in the 70s. (LOL) And Garands.

Probably for the best. A friend of mine said he wouldn't part with his M-14 even when the M16A1's were issued.

Cherokee
05-18-2010, 06:20 PM
Since I clean all primer pockets for rifle or pistol, I have noted that usually CCI will leave a much cleaner primer pocket than Winchester. I'm talking identical pistol loads except for the primer. Federal and Wolf are also usually cleaner than Winchester.

mtnman31
05-19-2010, 11:30 AM
The brass in Win NT factory loads comes out super clean when you fire them. Not all Winchester stuff burns dirty.

Agreed, I had a case of some 9mm NT rounds that were unbelievably clean after firing. The primer pockets had a small black smudge and the inside of the case was clean, not shiny, but still clean. They were reliable and I don't recall any problems with faulty rounds. I sure would like to know what powder and primer combo that batch of ammo used. The primers were not silver nor brass colored, they were almost a copper color.

Bad Water Bill
05-19-2010, 11:56 AM
My Wolfe primers are copper colored

Gee_Wizz01
05-19-2010, 01:35 PM
I also agree that Speer cases come out cleaner than any I have ever seen. The 45ACP Speer brass looks almost new after firing. The inside of the case has a very slight grayish cast, but it still looks almost unfired.

G

felix
05-19-2010, 01:52 PM
The case brand has little to do with it. The material used by all case vendors is from smelters making slugs for the caliber, and those slugs will have some junk material other than 70 percent copper - 30 percent zinc. Nobody could afford a pure lab grade composition for guns. Anyway, the cases made are pure enough which implies the corrosion comes from other outside chemicals first and foremost. ... felix