PDA

View Full Version : Handi Rifle Barrels

dk17hmr
07-30-2006, 12:16 PM
Got my frame and stocks all packed up today with a check so I can send it out tomorrow. Im getting a 24" bull 243 barrel and a 32" 45-70 barrel. Im going to scope both and probably use the 243 for deer hunting this year if I get it back in time. The plan is to scope the 243 with a 4-12x40mm that I already have and probably get something close to that for the 45-70.

The 32" 45-70 barrel is going on the lathe and knocking 2" or so off to get rid of the front dovetail then its getting a crown and reblued.

The plan is to shoot cast out of the 45-70 I have 2 Lee molds one is a 405gr hollow base the other is a Pointed 500gr.

But the 243 is getting J-bullets. Walmart had a sale to get rid of thier ammo $5 a box of 20 I bought 100 rounds of Federal 100gr PSP. Which will get me enough brass to get a good handload with Nosler Ballistic Tips.

H&R says 4-6 weeks before I get my gun back so I will be without a Handi rifle for a month or so but I have a few other rifles to take its place if need be.

Anyone else like Handi rifles?

Jack Stanley
07-30-2006, 05:48 PM
Yep , I found an old "Topper" while I was looking for a Savage 219 single shot . The H&R I found has a straight grip , a short twenty guage barrel and a 30-30 barrel . It fouled horribly when I first got it and still ain't all that sweet but it is getting smoother and easier to clean . When it finally gets smooth enough to shoot cast , I got a 311440 bullet I want to try in it .

Jack

hpdrifter
07-30-2006, 11:28 PM
I know all of these decisions are a personal thang, but if your gonna scope it, why not the 22" barrel?

dk17hmr
07-31-2006, 12:40 AM
I like the longer barrels. I know velocity is barely faster and its going to be a touch heavier. Also only like $10 more for the extra 2" in Bull Barrel. So yea pretty much just personal preference.

Four Fingers of Death
07-31-2006, 12:56 AM
Thats a bit much scope for a 45/70 isn't it? MIck.

dk17hmr
07-31-2006, 01:33 AM
Nah...I like big scopes
My 17hmr has a 8-32x44mm on it, one of my AR-15's has a 4.5-14x40 and my 25-06 has a 8.5-25x52 on it.

I think I will put a 3-9x40 on the 45-70 barrel if I can find a deal.

Dutch4122
07-31-2006, 04:00 PM
I have the Ultra Rifle in .450 Marlin and have just started to work with it. Definately showing a lot of promise with the Lee C457-500-FN. Still working up loads with RE-7. Got the load data off Greg Mushial's site. This Ultra Rifle came with a factory installed Weaver rail and I've mounted my trusty old Williams Twilight fixed 4X on it. I figure that 4X should be plenty of magnification for this round and the ranges I'll be shooting it. Plus, fixed magnification scopes seem to be a bit more durable on the hard kickers in my opinion.

Would be cool to see those big holes in the paper on 9X magnification, though:)

MtJerry
07-31-2006, 04:08 PM
I think I will put a 3-9x40 on the 45-70 barrel if I can find a deal.

You better get one with a Looooooong eye relief.

Bucks Owin
07-31-2006, 04:26 PM
Yep , I found an old "Topper" while I was looking for a Savage 219 single shot . The H&R I found has a straight grip , a short twenty guage barrel and a 30-30 barrel . It fouled horribly when I first got it and still ain't all that sweet but it is getting smoother and easier to clean . When it finally gets smooth enough to shoot cast , I got a 311440 bullet I want to try in it .

Jack

Hmmmm...

That's kinda odd, seems to me that H&R (or NEF or H&R 1871 or...) won't put a "rifle barrel" on a "shotgun or black powder (Huntsman) reciever".....

Maybe you should check that out or load that .30/30 pretty light!

Hey DK, that's cool! Wish I had the longer barrel on my HR .45/70. But it shoots so well with the short one that I think it's next barrel will be for a .22 Hornet instead....(with an eye to a "K" conversion at some point)

I like Handi rifles just fine....(with a little very patient trigger work) And the .243 Win is an all time great IMO, and I've had a M-70 for 40+ years in that persuasion and besides a bargeload of varmits and deer I even killed a moose with it once!

You'll like it...

Dennis

Duh...It's probably a "rifle reciever" with a shotgun barrel fitted huh Jack? :roll:

dk17hmr
07-31-2006, 06:09 PM
You better get one with a Looooooong eye relief.

Nah...That long barrel is going to have some ass to it and I have a "Sissy Stick" I made. "Sissy Stick" is a 3/4" copper pipe that is about 10" long filled with lead, adds about 4 pounds to the rifle. Rifle should weigh in at 10-12 pounds with the 45-70 barrel, also has a 1" rubber recoil pad.

Im pretty excited I dont know how Im going to be able to sleep for the next 4 weeks....maybe I will tire myself out casting big bullets.

Jack Stanley
07-31-2006, 06:41 PM
Dennis , that's what I'm thinking it might be . I'm sure the straight grip is a tip-off of some kind ... just don't know what :-D It strikes me as being an older rifle , before the NEF etc. business .
Gee , maybe they'd fit a twenty inch forty-five seventy to it for me too huh? :roll: I've seen the new long barreled ones and wondered how bad they'd hit ya . I really wish they'd spend a little more time making a smoother finish on the inside of their barrels , every one I've seen so far fouls quick and takes a while to clean .

Jack

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 12:44 AM
Dennis , that's what I'm thinking it might be . I'm sure the straight grip is a tip-off of some kind ... just don't know what :-D It strikes me as being an older rifle , before the NEF etc. business .
Gee , maybe they'd fit a twenty inch forty-five seventy to it for me too huh? :roll: I've seen the new long barreled ones and wondered how bad they'd hit ya . I really wish they'd spend a little more time making a smoother finish on the inside of their barrels , every one I've seen so far fouls quick and takes a while to clean .

Jack

Jack, my old H&R .58 "Huntsman" had a straight grip FWIW...

Their stocks in general aren't anything to write home about as to fit, finish or style IMO. "Someday" I'd like to restock mine. The "schnable" fore end on mine looks ridiculous and "chintzy" to me....(I saw it referred to someplace as looking like it "was done with a chainsaw" and I agree!!!)

If your's is a "rifle reciever" then I don't see why "H.R. & NEF 1871" couldn't fit a .45/70 tube on it. I think you can tell "something" by your rifle's serial number at their website where the barrel "program" is discussed. Seems to me that the short .45/70 barrel is something like $80 which ain't so bad...

My NEF barrel seems smooth enough and quite accurate with WW 300 gr factory ammo at 1850 fps. Recoil isn't bad at that level, but not really a "500 rds per day plinker" either. I'll have to get back to you in regard to cast boolit fouling....

Best amigo,

Dennis

Hey DK...

BTW about your .45/70....12X scope? 10 or 12 lbs? That should be for the .243 Win setup! The .45/70 ain't no varmint rig....(well, maybe "varmint mortar" shooting....) :D

Four Fingers of Death
08-03-2006, 05:33 AM
Nah...That long barrel is going to have some ass to it and I have a "Sissy Stick" I made. "Sissy Stick" is a 3/4" copper pipe that is about 10" long filled with lead, adds about 4 pounds to the rifle. Rifle should weigh in at 10-12 pounds with the 45-70 barrel, also has a 1" rubber recoil pad.

Im pretty excited I dont know how Im going to be able to sleep for the next 4 weeks....maybe I will tire myself out casting big bullets.

Nah! Just carry that rig around for a few hours, you will sleep, but maybe your arms will hurt enough to keep you awake. :-) Mick.

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Nah! Just carry that rig around for a few hours, you will sleep, but maybe your arms will hurt enough to keep you awake. :-) Mick.

Yeah and besides DK, "if you can't take the kick, don't shoot the stick".....

(Sorry, I made it up myself) :roll:

Dennis :-D

PS: Whenever the kids play the video game "Donkey Kong" (DK) it makes me think of you. Is there some connection in your "handle"?

dk17hmr
08-03-2006, 06:58 PM
LOL...the "Sissy Stick" is ment for shooting off the bench. I made it to tame my muzzleloader barrel a bit although recoil is mild to start with. I when I get to shooting off the bench I like to shoot 20-40 rounds.

The 243 is getting the 12x scope I have already, Ill be looking for a 3-9 Leupold soon for the 45-70 barrel.

Still young and dumb, in pretty good shape a 12 pound rifle only gets old after a 15mile
hike up hill...lol..I hunt a stand most of the time when I deer hunt.

DK is acutally my initals. Although I have been known to play some Donkey Kong from time to time.

Bucks Owin
08-03-2006, 07:14 PM
You're a good "dude" DK!

I like seeing a young man into the shooting sports these days and wish there were more of 'em! I remember when "firearms 101" was on the agenda of all young Americans at some point it seemed. (And I mean YOUNG!) At least all my pals occasionally had a .22 of some kind strapped to their bicycle and a pocketful of ammo "back then"...(especially after Christmas)

Ah traditions...

sigh,

Dennis