PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Jeebus, I finally got it!!

cricco
05-15-2010, 11:03 AM
Finally! I have been trying to make my tumble lube boolits work in my Glock, and no matter what I did, I get wicked leading using alox. So I purchased a 356-125-2R mold, and a .3565 sizer die. I seated the boolits at 1.140" and used 5.6 grains of Ramshot True Blue powder. All I can say is WOW!!! The casting Gods have smiled upon me! Super accurate load, and almost NO leading from my Glock 17 with Lone Wolf barrel!! Thanks to everyone here who helped me figure this out!! I am SUPER happy about this!

HeavyMetal
05-15-2010, 11:29 AM
Are you still using the alox tumble lube?

cricco
05-15-2010, 11:39 AM
Are you still using the alox tumble lube?

Hell no! I'm using Saeco green lube, and as soon as it works it's way out of my sizer, I'll be using Carnuba Red. I think I'm all done with Alox.

HeavyMetal
05-15-2010, 02:52 PM
That answer's my question!

If it's any help to you I use the same Lee mold to cast 90% of my 9mm loads and lube with Carnuba red.

Because one of my pistols has a 6 inch Bar-Sto barrel I can get velocities that are flat scary with no leading.

I will suggest you try BlueDot if your looking for power, other wise your True Blue load will make you happy for a long time!

cricco
05-15-2010, 02:59 PM
That answer's my question!

If it's any help to you I use the same Lee mold to cast 90% of my 9mm loads and lube with Carnuba red.

Because one of my pistols has a 6 inch Bar-Sto barrel I can get velocities that are flat scary with no leading.

I will suggest you try BlueDot if your looking for power, other wise your True Blue load will make you happy for a long time!

I was thinking about trying Blue Dot, but I've got about 10 lbs of True Blue to burn up first.

geargnasher
05-15-2010, 11:19 PM
I was thinking about trying Blue Dot, but I've got about 10 lbs of True Blue to burn up first.

That'll only take about 12 bricks of primers and 250 lbs of boolit metal!

Gear

cricco
05-16-2010, 12:28 AM
That'll only take about 12 bricks of primers and 250 lbs of boolit metal!

Gear

Is that all? :P

ghh3rd
05-16-2010, 12:53 AM
Nice - my son purchased a 9mm that I will be eventually casting and reloading for (hopefully he will too), and you've answered some questions for me. Thanks for the post.

WHITETAIL
05-16-2010, 07:00 AM
Thats what the guys here are for.
Not to brag, but to help.[smilie=l:

wonderwolf
05-17-2010, 11:07 AM
I have yet to try the carnuba red in 9mm I'm still cleaning all the leading out of it from the RCBS green snot stuff and the black moly stuff from the bullets I've been using from my dad that he wanted me to use up. Have you found that CR works better with multi lube grooves or one big one? I've had mixed results...The CR works really well in 300 win mag though with factory velocity loads [smilie=1:

DukeInFlorida
05-17-2010, 12:28 PM
I've had great luck using two methods for 9mm cast bullets:

1) Lee 124 grain microgroove mold - Been using Alox/Xlox successfully with this mold. I thin the XLOX down with mineral spirits. Works fine for me. Recently, I have also been adding a small dollop of Johnsons Paste Wax (JPW) in, and that seems to help keep the smoke down.

2) Mihec 125 grain HP mold with deep "grease grooves" - For that I have been using Carnuba Red with no heat. That runs through the gun fine also.

I also just made up my own version of the green lube, using 1/2 pound of beeswax, 2 ounces of Klotz 2 cycle synthetic marine oil, and 1 table spoon of carnuba wax flakes (from the recent group buy). I was hoping for a red lube since the Klotz is a red synthetic oil. However, the bees wax over powered the coloring, and it came out a darker than bees wax brown. Filled up my lubricizer while it was still melted. The stuff that re-solidified feels great, and I expect that it will work fine.

The success of the thing somewhat relates to using the right kind of lube for the grooves. Microgrooves use Xlox/Alox, and the deep grooves use the stick stuff in a lubricizer.

And, almost more importantly, the sizing that the bullets get is a key factor in success with cast bullets. Try sizing them .001 larger than you do now, and see what happens.....

Colorado4wheel
05-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Finally! I have been trying to make my tumble lube boolits work in my Glock, and no matter what I did, I get wicked leading using alox. So I purchased a 356-125-2R mold, and a .3565 sizer die. I seated the boolits at 1.140" and used 5.6 grains of Ramshot True Blue powder. All I can say is WOW!!! The casting Gods have smiled upon me! Super accurate load, and almost NO leading from my Glock 17 with Lone Wolf barrel!! Thanks to everyone here who helped me figure this out!! I am SUPER happy about this!

What size are they before sizing?

cricco
05-17-2010, 01:38 PM
What size are they before sizing?

I don't know. I will have to check the next time I cast them.

Colorado4wheel
05-17-2010, 06:40 PM
Congratulations anyway. I found a similiar thing. I needed to

1) Water Drop them
2) Size them over .356
3) Lube with anything but Tumble Lube.

MtGun44
05-17-2010, 09:29 PM
Colorado4wheel,

Try just air cooled, you will probably still be OK. Use about .357 or .358 if it will chamber.

The orginal poster is another example of why I usually recommend going to a conventional
design with a known good lube and size large enough when someone has repeated
failures with the Lee TL designs and mule snot. The TL boolit has to consume more
bandwidth on this site than anything other than "why is my 9mm tumbling?".

Bill

Colorado4wheel
05-17-2010, 09:40 PM
Colorado4wheel,

Try just air cooled, you will probably still be OK. Use about .357 or .358 if it will chamber.

Bill

I would like to try a .357 or larger but I can't with out buying a new die. Using water dropped bullets and my current die works fine. I may try and lap it out .001" but you can't go back after doing it so it seems like a lot of trouble for very little gain.

chris in va
05-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Man, I had to go .003 over to get a well behaved 9mm. Thought I'd never find the formula.