PDA

View Full Version : Toy AR-15 converted to real?

Jim
05-14-2010, 05:48 PM
What I know about AR-15s will fit in a thimble. Is it true that toy AR-15s can be easily coverted to real ones?

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/06/exclusive-toy-gun-sold-easily-turned-real-thing/

DLCTEX
05-14-2010, 06:16 PM
it's still against the law to make one into a real gun. You can't stop criminals from getting their hands on guns. I remember seeing an article on guns manufactured in a Texas prison, a fully functional machine gun with ammo that worked made behind prison walls from components that were in daily use there. It was found before it was used by inmates.

giz189
05-14-2010, 06:17 PM
Somebody answer this......

EOD3
05-14-2010, 06:42 PM
IMHO, the BATFE inspector(s) that started this idiocy couldn't tell their mule from a hole in the ground. The toy gun "LOOKS" like an M4 with an orange "don't shoot me" cap on the barrel. "IF" you tear it apart and modify the lower half, you can physically attach an AR upper assembly. You could also attach the upper to a 2x4 using the same tools. If, through some miracle you could get it to fire, it'd be ONE TIME! The lower would pretty much disintegrate and the bolt carrier/bolt assembly would likely end up embedded in your shoulder.

In a nut shell, I think the BATFE inspectors couldn't tell a toy from a rifle and now they're trying to ruin someones life rather than admit their stupidity.

.02 YMMV

thenaaks
05-14-2010, 06:56 PM
while some airsoft rifles are very realistic...the inner working are nothing like those of true semi-autos. they use batteries to drive electric motors to shoot plastic bb's at up to 300fps or so. there are no trigger assemblies or bolts or anything like that. sure as heck not as easy as "drilling one hole"

this story is b.s. in my opinion

rhead
05-14-2010, 07:00 PM
I would be interested in the seeing the inspector who made the statement stand in front of a judge and be told to demonstrate that it could be done and then fire off a mag full of ammo.

EOD3
05-14-2010, 07:54 PM
I would be interested in the seeing the inspector who made the statement stand in front of a judge and be told to demonstrate that it could be done and then fire off a mag full of ammo.

If it ever comes to trial, the BATFE will probably refuse to allow inspection of the rifle (toys)... It's happened before. :evil:

spqrzilla
05-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Its a load of horse manure.

nicholst55
05-14-2010, 08:46 PM
Too bad they'll probably get away with this travesty. I guess if they have the power to determine that a shoestring constitutes a machine gun, they're capable of most anything...

edsmith
05-14-2010, 09:30 PM
if it was true,nothing like telling the whole world how to get a illegal ar. reporters are the scum of the earth.

EOD3
05-14-2010, 09:35 PM
reporters are the scum of the earth.

No truer words have ever been spoken. I could tell you war stories...

captain-03
05-15-2010, 09:34 AM
From the story: When the ATF seized a shipment of 30 of these guns in October from a port in Tacoma, Wash., it said they could be “readily convertible” to machine guns. But gun experts called that claim absurd and said the ATF was overstepping its bounds.

Now one of those critics is reversing his position, saying at least one airsoft manufacturer has taken the quest to be authentic a little too far.

It seems that all the "other" fun experts are sticking by their original assessment!! One "critic" has changed his mind ... how about all the other experts who said it was a bunch of BS?

technetium-99m
05-15-2010, 01:28 PM
The lower in an AR-15 really serves no structural purposes other than to connect the trigger, upper, magazine, and buffer assembly. As long as a few holes in the lower were reasonably correct it may be possible. I've never handled an airsoft gun.

Go to youtube and search for AR-15 made out of a cuttingboard if you want to watch an interesting video.

MtGun44
05-15-2010, 03:47 PM
It seems like if the lower were able to be attached, even by duct tape, to a real upper
and if it could hold the mag in position (same size mag well, and latch) and you could
drill holes for a real hammer and trigger, and add the buffer tube . . . . . . . .

Never looked inside one. My guess is it would be pretty hard to do unless they are
making the lowers a lot like the real thing. You could probably make on from scratch
about as easily. Seems kinda far fetched, but I'll wait until I see an airsoft lower
up close before making a real judgement.

ATF's history in this area doesn't ensure a lot of credibility. I would not necessarily
take their word for it.

BarryinIN
05-15-2010, 04:14 PM
Maybe you can do it the way some have suggested, but what difference does it make? It's still making a firearm out of something that wasn't.
It's no different from hacking one out of a piece of scrap metal or converting a hand cranked drill into a mini-gatling gun.

And if that was done, and it was sold or done by someone prohibited from owning a firearm, they broke laws that have already existed for decades.

Somebody saw an Airsoft AR15, got all scared and said "Something should be done!", one thing led to another, and this is the result.

bohokii
05-15-2010, 07:26 PM
it's still against the law to make one into a real gun. You can't stop criminals from getting their hands on guns. I remember seeing an article on guns manufactured in a Texas prison, a fully functional machine gun with ammo that worked made behind prison walls from components that were in daily use there. It was found before it was used by inmates.

wha!!! how is this any different than an 80% lower that people finish?

technetium-99m
05-16-2010, 02:35 AM
What I don't get is this.

In my home state at least (I don't know about yours), you can make firearms for personal use, it's completely legal. So what's the hubub?

You can buy 80% parts as was stated above and finish them yourself, how much work are we really talking about here?

And given the source (the BATFE) I really question whether or not this is a big deal.

nicholst55
05-16-2010, 06:04 AM
What I don't get is this.

In my home state at least (I don't know about yours), you can make firearms for personal use, it's completely legal. So what's the hubub?

You can buy 80% parts as was stated above and finish them yourself, how much work are we really talking about here?

And given the source (the BATFE) I really question whether or not this is a big deal.

A federal law passed in 1986 made it illegal to manufacture any additional machine guns for private use - the gubiment can buy as many as they want to, but you and I cannot. While it is legal to manufacture a firearm for personal use, one cannot manufacture a prohibited or restricted (Class III) firearm such as a machine gun.

johnlaw484
05-16-2010, 06:32 AM
[. reporters are the scum of the earth.[/QUOTE]

Actually, no. Personal injury lawyers are the real bottom feeders. Don't believe me? Just look at their ads on TV, "if you've ever taken this drug, been injured or lost money, contact our offices at 555-555-5555.

technetium-99m
05-18-2010, 04:07 AM
I don't think anyone was talking about making a machinegun, which can be legal as long as you file the correct paperwork and jump through the hoops.

We were talking about manufacturing an AR-15 which in most states is completely legal, I guess if it's possible to do (which darn near anything is; when you get down to it it just depends on how clever you are) is how much work it takes.

Like I said before, people have made functional receivers out of cutting boards, completely legal as long as the place you live does not care about rifles with scary features.

How did we get off track like this?

If the toy receiver matches a real one closely enough to be used without a certain amount of modification then it is considered a firearm and is subject to the laws on the books. What I don't like is the subjective nature here, the BATFE has WAY to much latitude to inspect and decide what is or is not legal with not enough accountability.

a.squibload
05-18-2010, 04:22 AM
Political correctness run amock?
Testing the waters to see how much they can get away with without losing funding due to high idiocy rating? (Even Congress
can only stand so much, and their rating is HIGH.)
No checks and balances on an agency leads to wasted taxes and no service to the citizens who are forced to support it,
in other words, are we safer now without these awful plastic toys?
How much real work was set aside for this foolishness?
Trying to eliminate "gun culture" by removing gun toys from the market?
Credibility? What about honor? How can they sleep after a stunt like this?
Etc., etc., geez, don't get me started...