PDA

View Full Version : Ratio Of linotype to WW for .40 Cal

mlarkin_09
05-13-2010, 04:18 PM
I am thinking I can use straight wheel weights but I have ALOT of linotype maybe 1000 lbs and only 100lbs of wheel weights. Also I have access to Linotype cheaper (.50 per LB) than I can get wheel weights.
I will be shooting 180gr LSWC TL bullets at just over Major power factor.
I am new to the casting world and these will be the first bullets I cast for a .40.
I am sure a 50/50 blend would be overkill but It would be easy to mix up.
Thanks for any suggestions you may have.

ANeat
05-13-2010, 04:47 PM
You could probably trade the lino to your benefit for more WW. 2 to 1 perhaps

Straight WW would be enough for 40's

Tell us where youre at and perhaps someone local will chime in and do some trading with you.

NuJudge
05-13-2010, 05:07 PM
I use straight wheelweights, plus a little Tin, dropped into a 5 gallon bucket of water, and even with poor lubricants it gives only a hint of Leading.

CDD

Shiloh
05-13-2010, 06:09 PM
I use range scrap, or if needed cut with WW. No lino at all. works fine.

SHiloh

HammerMTB
05-13-2010, 08:17 PM
I hope yer around the Pacific NW somewhere. I have lots of WW and would be willing to do some tradin'
I use straight WW air cooled with fine results. I also shoot 175's at just over major PF
Where ya from?

TCLouis
05-13-2010, 08:33 PM
Why we need to have at least the state we are from posted sometimes things are co-located and sometimes the interested parties are clear across the country. I t would be nice to know right up front.

mlarkin_09
05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
I am from North west missouri and yes I would entertain a trade offer is someone was close by.
I cast a few tonight 60%ww/40%lino

MT Gianni
05-14-2010, 04:51 PM
I would at least start to shoot cast in a rifle. Lino would be great for 22 centerfires.

fredj338
05-15-2010, 12:35 AM
It depends on your load, but you can have a good shooting bullet in the 40 cast from straight lino. It's not needed, but will work. I shoot pretty much AC ww, sometimes I sweeten the 19#+ w/ 1/2# of lino depending on the mold used.

mlarkin_09
05-24-2010, 07:59 PM
I have been shooting a 2/1 ratio or 67% WW 33%lino I have had very good accuracy and very little lead after aprox 1500 rounds. However I have exhausted my WW stash and now I only have straight lino. I guess its time to go dig in the berm at the range

skimmerhead
05-24-2010, 08:53 PM
hi mlarkin if you would like info on mixing lino and lead, go to www.lasc.us click on cast bullet alloy-alloy maintenence. their is a world of info on this site, you won't regrett it.

skimmerhead

Lead Fred
05-24-2010, 09:39 PM
You can sell me 50lbs of Lino at 50 cents a lb, and buy local WW

sqlbullet
05-25-2010, 02:44 PM
As you can see, lots of guys would be willing to trade you. I should be added to that list. Utah is a bit far away, but I will be traveling east in a few weeks to visit family. Of course, if I bring this hobby on vacation, I might have to leave my wife home:-)

If you can get a near unlimited supply at that price, do it. Plenty of guys here would trade 2:1 and pay shipping even. Once a couple validate it as being what it is purported to be, many would gladly pay $1.00 or more a lb for it shipped. Next thing you know, shooting and buying guns is 'free'.

mlarkin_09
05-25-2010, 10:38 PM
As you can see, lots of guys would be willing to trade you. I should be added to that list. Utah is a bit far away, but I will be traveling east in a few weeks to visit family. Of course, if I bring this hobby on vacation, I might have to leave my wife home:-)

If you can get a near unlimited supply at that price, do it. Plenty of guys here would trade 2:1 and pay shipping even. Once a couple validate it as being what it is purported to be, many would gladly pay $1.00 or more a lb for it shipped. Next thing you know, shooting and buying guns is 'free'.

Well that’s the problem I would love to make a 2 to 1 trade with some one on here. Problem is I don’t have quite enough posts to place an add in the Selling forum no big deal im not in any big hurry.
I sold around 500 lbs of the lino on ebay this winter and got around a 1.30 a LB for it with the intention of buying wheel weights off there with the proceeds.
Crazy thing is the WW lead seems to be brining the same price as pure linotype on there.
As far as the question of it being pure lino I am not 100% as I don’t have a hardness tester. However it is still cast into the 25lb ingots with the loop on one end whatever that’s worth.
I will check next time I stop in and see exactly how much the guy has. I am sure that since he is getting away from using the linotype print machine that there will be a finite amount of lead and when it is gone its gone.

XWrench3
05-26-2010, 12:42 PM
if your supply of linotype is going to slowly disapear, you should buy all you can, and stash it. once it is gone, you will have to pay the big bucks for it like everyone else. as for wheel weights, 1) the prices on fee-bay for any lead are outragous. and 2) you probably need to find a good tire store to buy them from. you are probably going to have to find a mid to small size shop, all of the big companies have contracts with battery makers for the lead. also, try going in the second and third week of the month. a lot of us that are on s.s. , go looking when we get our checks from uncle sam around the first of the month. if you find a good source for soft lead, treat it like it was gold. the only place i can find it is on fee-bay, or a specialty place. i hope this helps you.