PDA

View Full Version : Sporting Clays

dk17hmr
07-29-2006, 01:44 AM
To start this off I want to tell ya'll that I work Construction anything and everything name it will build it remodel it, anything. I work for a small time Contractor so small that it is just me and him working.
Well the big project this week was a remodel of a bathroom we finished up yesterday and when we were done I ask "Shep" my boss what the plan for today was going to be. He said "I have a little bit of running to do in the Morning, but how about late morning early afternoon we head over to the Lost Arrow, they have a Sporting Clays shoot and we should give that one a try since we are all caught up for the week." I agreed and offered to drive us there, about 60 miles round trip.
So this morning got a call about 9 oclock sayin we are on for 11:15 at the Lost Arrow.

Never having shot Sporting Clays before I was pretty stoked. I loaded up my pump Mossberg 12 gauge, 2 boxes of shell and some water in my Danger Ranger and headed off to pick Shep up.

The deal with this course is $20 a person for 50 clays or $30 for 100 clays, they even send a guy with you to run the machines.

What a riot. If ya'll havent tried this find somewhere to go shoot one. Shep and I got almost even scores, I shot a 26 out of 50 he shot a 27 out of 50, he has shot a few courses before I havent.

The high light of the day I think was on one stage I broke all the singles and then broke Double with one shot. I actually did it twice because one of the stages was down (lack of rabbit clays) and we got to shoot one of the stages again, sure enough broke the singles then broke the double with one shot.

Im addicted now I can see me getting into it big time!

cabezaverde
07-29-2006, 07:16 AM
Be Careful - if you really get into it, pretty soon you will be figuring out ways to buy a $10,000 over and under and all kinds of logo gear.

We have a travelling winter league around here, and it is a great way to spend a winter weekend morning. Out to breakfast with your group, and then go shoot clays.

fatnhappy
07-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Be Careful - if you really get into it, pretty soon you will be figuring out ways to buy a $10,000 over and under and all kinds of logo gear.

We have a travelling winter league around here, and it is a great way to spend a winter weekend morning. Out to breakfast with your group, and then go shoot clays.

Wednesday mornings at Rochester-Brookes?

cabezaverde
07-29-2006, 01:41 PM
Hunters Tour during the winter.

dk17hmr
07-29-2006, 02:47 PM
I dont know about a $10,000 shotgun. I would love an Over Under though. I was eyeballing a Winchester a few months ago at a yard sale for $275, but I bought a 1903 Springfield instead. Maybe some day I will have a nice Over Under....not anytime soon still being in college.

Bigscot
07-29-2006, 10:23 PM
Shotguns were the first guns I ever shot and have have been shooting them since. I got a 20 ga. 870 Wingmaster when I was 12 and have been shooting it since. I used to some trap and skeet and have shot some 5 stand for fun. The shotguning sports are alot of fun. I started reloading in highschool with shotgunning and progressed to metalic and now to cast. I just enjoy shooting no matter what. I am wanting to shoot some skeet to get ready for dove season. I just wish I could find a surplus powder for shotguns.

Bigscot

Blackwater
07-31-2006, 01:16 AM
Dk, the big advantage that doubleguns have over pumps or autos is that they can use 2 different choke tubes. I don't know how they had the course set up, but a favorite (and not uncommon) "trick" the guys who set up a course like to use, is in doubles to have one bird coming AT you while the other is going away, and FAST, too. A minus .005" choke, or whatever your most open choke is, can really help with that closing one, and you need to shoot ASAP on that one. Meantime, the second, outgoing bird gets further and further every 1/10 of a second, and it'll take more choke to reliably break it. It may also be flying through some trees, too, which really makes things interesting.

Sporting clays is one of the very best and most interesting and challenging shooting games I've ever had the pleasure to "play." As you've discovered, quite addicting, too. Sooner or later, you're gonna' HAVE to have an over and under, and from what I'm hearing, the Ruger Red Label is the cheapest/best deal going. It stands up to the heavy use that SC shooters give their guns, and like a Timex, takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'. FWIW, when the time comes?