PDA

View Full Version : .40 powder choice 180 tl

mlarkin_09
05-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I will be trying my hand in USPSA shooting a .40. I plan on using my Lee 180gr SWC TL mold. It has worked great with my 10mm should be good for the .40 as well.

I have on hand
Blue dot
Green Dot
Bulls eye
Power pistol
Accurate #9

Witch of these powders would be the best to use to achieve major power factor and decent accuracy?
I have a few reloading books but not a lot of data for .40 lead bullets. If you have some real world experience with any of these powders/bullet combo please share.

I may decide to shoot the production division at some point in time so if you have any minor pet loads with this bullet feel free to share them as well.

zardoz
05-12-2010, 09:29 PM
I found a great load using Blue Dot in my SW990L.

175 grain Lee TL SWC cast boolit, using 8.0 grains Blue Dot, with a Federal small magnum primer. (Stumbled on this by accident really). Lubed with 50/50 JPW/LLA

Average velocity was 995 ft/s, giving power factor of 174.

I think you could use this with some adjustment for the 180 grain, as I was not at maximum load for the 175 grain.

Edit: Oh, and welcome to the forum.

milsurp mike
05-12-2010, 09:33 PM
I use 5.3 gr. of Bullseye for the 180 gr.Cast Boolits 40's that I reload.I reload it for a S&W Sigma.I have used this load for awhile and really like it.Mike

excess650
05-13-2010, 06:54 AM
I always shot the 175gr Lyman 40143 over about 7gr AA #5 for 1000fps.

troy_mclure
05-13-2010, 07:08 AM
for me the bluedot was ridiculously dirty.

i like bullseye of what you have, but clays universal is my fave.

kawalekm
05-13-2010, 12:19 PM
I use Blue Dot for everything. I load 9.5 grain of it with Lyman's 175 grain TC. Never had any "dirtyness" issues with that load, maybe because it's hot enough to burn out.

sargenv
05-13-2010, 12:51 PM
I don't care for any of those powders, but if those are all I had, I would go with either the Bullseye or Green dot. The problem with using slower burners in the 40 is the fact that your recoil pulse will increase. That is why most of the top shooters utilize a fast burner like Clays and then seat the bullets long to give more internal volume and lower pressures to make major. My current choice for major PF with a 185 LRN is 4.4 of Solo 1000. For minor I use 3.6 gr. the lighter load hardly moves my 6.5" 610 from shot to shot. It is also fairly tame in my Para P16. The Major loads are a bit more, but still very manageable. If I were firing with Blue Dot or power pistol, the report would be substantially louder and I suspect recoil would feel fiercer (I did use Power pistol for major with 140's in 40 S&W and it was substantially louder and had a large amount of recoil in comparison to my 185's with faster burning powders).

fredj338
05-13-2010, 01:48 PM
I also do not like any of those powders for med vel lead bullets (180gr @ 900-950fps) in the 40. WSF, Unique or Universal work better, WSF is my most accurate powder so far for that vel range. If you want lighter loads, WST would be my choice, but I have heard good things about AA#2 in lighter loads too.

kirb
05-13-2010, 02:04 PM
I have shot the 40 with my 610 in uspsa all over. The powder that keep the same power factor every were and least smoke was WST. I have been using it it with a 205gr boolit and speed green lube.

Kirb

Shiloh
05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
AA#5 for the .40 Blue Dot for the 10 with that boolit.

Shiloh

mlarkin_09
05-24-2010, 06:57 PM
I loaded up 6.5 of powerpistol and it is a very accurate but pretty stout recoil it will make major pf according to my chrono.
I also loaded 3.3 grains of BE and I think it will barely make Minor pf but it is a very soft shooting load. However at that low of a charge i was getting quite a bit of unburnt powder.

These powders are just what I had from loading 10,45,9mm I will use up some of the powder i have and give something new a try.

Thanks for all the info guys

mlarkin_09
05-24-2010, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=sargenv;894454]I don't care for any of those powders, but if those are all I had, I would go with either the Bullseye or Green dot. The problem with using slower burners in the 40 is the fact that your recoil pulse will increase. That is why most of the top shooters utilize a fast burner like Clays and then seat the bullets long to give more internal volume and lower pressures to make major. My current choice for major PF with a 185 LRN is 4.4 of Solo 1000. For minor I use 3.6 gr. the lighter load hardly moves my 6.5" 610 from shot to shot. It is also fairly tame in my Para P16. The Major loads are a bit more, but still very manageable. If I were firing with Blue Dot or power pistol, the report would be substantially louder and I suspect recoil would feel fiercer (I did use Power pistol for major with 140's in 40 S&W and it was substantially louder and had a large amount of recoil in comparison to my 185's with faster burning powders).[/QUOTE

You mention Clays is there much difference between that and UNIVERSAL CLAYS or INTERNATIONAL CLAYS.

Im assuming you meant just original clays but just wanted to make sure.

DevilDog83
05-24-2010, 07:05 PM
I use HS-6 for the same bullet in both my son's limited guns, very accurate, consistant and clean, 7.0 grs is the charge we use

82nd airborne
05-24-2010, 07:15 PM
[QUOTE=mlarkin_09;893937]I will be trying my hand in USPSA shooting a .40.

ive never shot uspsa, but wouldnt you want great acccuracy and low recoil for fast followups?

BLTsandwedge
05-24-2010, 07:17 PM
6g Power Pistol under Lyman's 401638 (177g 20/1 WW-zn) shot through a 6" S&W 610 and .40 brass produced for me 1008fps (average of 20 rounds) and a SD of 9.23. Excellent accuracy.

Tom

That'll Do
05-24-2010, 07:32 PM
<edited>
You mention Clays is there much difference between that and UNIVERSAL CLAYS or INTERNATIONAL CLAYS.

Im assuming you meant just original clays but just wanted to make sure.

There is a substantial difference between International Clays, Clays, and Universal Clays. They are all part of the "Clays Technology" line of powders, but they have vastly different burning rates, and one cannot be substituted for another.

The most commonly confused powders of the three are Clays and Universal Clays, which is sometimes referred to simply as Universal, or other times Universal Clays. Hodgdon's website still calls it Universal Clays.

It made my head spin trying to differentiate between the two when I first started reloading, but I have them figured out now. I use both Clays and Universal Clays, and they're both excellent powders.

Personally, I'd use Universal Clays in 40 S&W, as I find Clays to be a bit too fast for such a high-pressure cartridge. That being said, out of all the powders you listed, I've had the most success with Power Pistol–it meters well and provides decent "oomph".

mlarkin_09
05-24-2010, 07:48 PM
[QUOTE=mlarkin_09;893937]I will be trying my hand in USPSA shooting a .40.

ive never shot uspsa, but wouldnt you want great acccuracy and low recoil for fast followups?

Yes im just trying to figure out a powder that will give the best of both worlds

mlarkin_09
05-24-2010, 07:55 PM
There is a substantial difference between International Clays, Clays, and Universal Clays. They are all part of the "Clays Technology" line of powders, but they have vastly different burning rates, and one cannot be substituted for another.

The most commonly confused powders of the three are Clays and Universal Clays, which is sometimes referred to simply as Universal, or other times Universal Clays. Hodgdon's website still calls it Universal Clays.

It made my head spin trying to differentiate between the two when I first started reloading, but I have them figured out now. I use both Clays and Universal Clays, and they're both excellent powders.

Personally, I'd use Universal Clays in 40 S&W, as I find Clays to be a bit too fast for such a high-pressure cartridge. That being said, out of all the powders you listed, I've had the most success with Power Pistol–it meters well and provides decent "oomph".

I agree after shooting 600-700 rounds of pp it seems to work exceptionally well there appears to be no leading. I suppose I need to see if I can find that powder burn rate chart again and compare a few powders that I have in mind.

Adam10mm
05-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Of those you have, Power Pistol. But just get WSF and be done with it.