PDA

View Full Version : Plain base in the 35 Rem. advice

RU shooter
05-12-2010, 04:56 PM
Has anyone had any good results shooting plain base in the old 35 rem?I'm interested in what loads were used . I recently aquired a nice Saeco #351 mould ,Its a 200 gr PB design with a base section that seems like it was made for the short neck in the 35 rem. I plan on trying some light loads with Unique around 8-10 grs and 2400 ,10 grs.there abouts . Has anyone tried loads below book minimum for Jacketed bullets using medium and slower rifle powders as case cap. isnt all that large to start with? something like 4895 on the fast side and H380 on the slow and a small wad of dacron or dryer lint. Not trying to push the envelope with it but a honest 13- 1400 fps is a good goal. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated as this is kind of uncharted waters for me .

Thanks,Tim

KCSO
05-12-2010, 05:16 PM
IMR 4198 3031 and 4895 all work in the 35 Remington all the way from about 1400 to right at 1800 fps. The 1800 load of 4895 will cycle the action in my M8 fairly well. The lighter loads will run the bolt back a ways and I finish it off like a straight pull. I will have to check my note book for charge wights as it's been a while since I loaded any.

quack1
05-12-2010, 09:08 PM
I shoot the 358430 in my Rem. 14. It weighs 196gr with straight WW. My gun likes 15gr 4227 the best, right around 1400fps. Second best load is 12.5gr 2400 at around 1350fps. I have also tried Unique, Herco, PB, HS6. Around 1500fps is where I start getting some leading. My bullets are air cooled, might get a little more velocity before leading with water dropped or heat treated bullets. Hope this helps.

uscra112
05-12-2010, 10:58 PM
For what it's worth. . . .

Ten years or so ago I shot a ton of plain, bevel base semi-wadcutter pistol bullets out of my .35 Rem. Marlin 336, with the early (shallow) microgroove barrel.

I was using 4227 and XMP5744, don't remember the actual charge, but they began to get accurate at about 1700 fps. (Yes, 1700 fps!) Much below that and the group opened up to 8-10 inches. Never had any leading at all. These were commercially cast, and pretty hard. I think the hefty charge was necessary to get them to obturate enough to take the rifling, and that's why they weren't so good at lower speeds. Even at their best, however, the accuracy never got better than 2-3 MOA.

Buckshot
05-13-2010, 12:53 AM
http://www.fototime.com/347AB486CF7FA9E/standard.jpg

...........These are the only PB slugs I've ever shot in my 35 Rem, which is built on a M1894 Brazilian contract small ring Mauser. The data should be readable on the target sheet. The 358156 was shot with no GC. Groups at 50 yards, issue trigger and Lyman reciever sight.

http://www.fototime.com/89E2F2C1A9E4DC7/standard.jpg

The rifle. The 124gr Lee is the RN for 9mm's, and those WC's didn't feed worth rancid owl sweat :-) A single loading proposition only! I edited this to add that those little 124gr RN Lee's are a real pill to get seated straight in the caseneck. While none of the boolits were scaled and the powder charges were all thrown, I think the Lees might have suffered a bit of an alignment issue. Yet for what you might be shooting at at 50 yards they're fine. I also just noticed the similarity of the group pattern (shot placement) in the 358156 and the DEWC's. Almost duplicated each other :-)

.............Buckshot

jdgabbard
05-13-2010, 12:58 AM
Buckshot, have you ever given the ranch dog a whirl? I thought you had one of those babies too!

RU shooter
05-14-2010, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone for the help It'll give me a good idea where to start. One more question if I could, I have read on other posts about PB in other calibers on what a plain base boolit is capable of velocity wise if the fit is good and the right alloy used,Question is what IS the "right" alloy ? Or isnt there one for all applications? I have so far casted some of these out of two different alloy's one was straight WW and the other was 1:1 WW and lino. Can vel. be upped some(say 1500 fps) with the harder alloy or might it be too hard . Again Thanks

Tim

303Guy
05-14-2010, 10:21 PM
RU shooter

Have you considered paper patching? I get the impression the 35 Remmington is an ideal paper patch rifle. Aside from that, would you consider a slower powder that fills the case but only delivers 1800 to 2000 fps?

Nobade
05-15-2010, 08:50 AM
I've been shooting the RCBS 200gr. flatnose over a case full of Trailboss with good effect in cowboy long range silhouette matches. Very accurate and plenty of power to knock over the rams. Heat treated wheelweights, no gas check, and lubed with Lee tumble lube. I'm looking forward to getting my new Ranch Dog 190gr 6 cavity, that will keep that rifle fed even better.

And 303 guy, I do shoot paper patch out of it sometimes. The BRP 35PP mold works well, as does that RCBS bullet sized down and patched back up. Pure lead at full throttle makes it a good hunting gun if I ever went hunting. I did lengthen the throat a bit with a throat reamer, it didn't have any from the factory. Now the PP bullets fit nicely and don't get torn up when being chambered.

RU shooter
05-15-2010, 09:56 AM
RU shooter

Have you considered paper patching? I get the impression the 35 Remmington is an ideal paper patch rifle. Aside from that, would you consider a slower powder that fills the case but only delivers 1800 to 2000 fps? 303, No I never did consider that option only because of the lack of knowledge of it.But I am open minded on it and will do some more reading on it in the PP forums. BTW what makes you feel the 35 rem is ideal for PP ? as stated I lack the knowledge on the subject.Mainly these loads are going to be for practicing offhand and field shooting for deer season and lighter loads for the boys.

Tim

Blammer
05-15-2010, 09:47 PM
I like 10gr of Unique and a plain base 200gr boolit out of my contender.

It's nice shooting and accurate for me.

Ben
05-15-2010, 10:08 PM
I wonder how these would shoot in the 35 Rem. Erik in OR recently took my RCBS 35 cal. 200 gr. FN mold and HP'd the front cav. and plain based the rear cav. Might be just the ticket ? ?

I have some loaded in my 358 Win. and I'm anxious to try them out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v494/haysb/RCBS%2035%20cal%20200%20gr%20PB%20%20HP/PICT0007.jpg

Buckshot
05-16-2010, 02:40 AM
Buckshot, have you ever given the ranch dog a whirl? I thought you had one of those babies too!

.............Nope. I've never even seen it.

.............Buckshot

303Guy
05-16-2010, 03:18 AM
... what makes you feel the 35 rem is ideal for PP ?The case capacity is moderate, the bore is quite substantial and it has a favourable expansion ratio to fire a heavy boolit. Operating pressure is moderate. The neck holds most of the boolit, protecting the patch. All seem to indicate a good PP cadidate. Then there are reports from folks who have done it.

I don't remember who posted these pics but the rifling marks were done by a pencil to the leade, for my benefit.

http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/35Rem-1.jpg
http://i388.photobucket.com/albums/oo327/303Guy/35Rem2-1.jpg

jdgabbard
05-16-2010, 04:21 AM
.............Nope. I've never even seen it.

.............Buckshot

Here you go. I thought for sure you'd have one of these babies!!! You might contact Ranch Dog and see if he has any extras being cut by Lee if you're interested. I know he had a group buy going on, or did...

RU shooter
05-16-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the help again guys. Heres my first go with cast PB in my little model 600, all boolits were shot as cast at .359 WW/lino mix, range was only 60 yds to see whats what but judging by the load using 12.0 of 2400 and a wad of dryer lint I'll be moving back to 100 yds next time. The load of 9.0 gr Unique didnt impress me to much on the bottom right was a decent plinker load using 5 grs of Bullseye and a lee 158 FP.

Ben That sure is a nice looking bullet ! that base looks three times thicker than mine and was wondering if that would make any difference in the results as it is rather thin and a really wide lube groove for a PB design ,I guess not!

303guy You really do have my interest piqued on the PP idea.I'll need to get some sizers and do some more reading first.

NHlever
05-16-2010, 04:25 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but every time I see a bolt gun in .35 Rem, I wish someone would make a reasonably priced bolt carbine in that caliber! Lighter, and a bit stronger than the 336 would be a good thing!

jlchucker
05-16-2010, 09:35 PM
Don't want to hijack the thread, but every time I see a bolt gun in .35 Rem, I wish someone would make a reasonably priced bolt carbine in that caliber! Lighter, and a bit stronger than the 336 would be a good thing!

Yeah-I agree. It ought to look a lot like the picture of that one that Buckshot posted a few replies ago. Nice and handy, and from looking at his targets, a good shooter to boot!

Buckshot
05-17-2010, 12:05 AM
Yeah-I agree. It ought to look a lot like the picture of that one that Buckshot posted a few replies ago. Nice and handy, and from looking at his targets, a good shooter to boot!

Not to hi-jack the thread, but it IS a pretty good shooter.

http://www.fototime.com/E6920B222E6BC60/standard.jpg

4 loads with 35 Rem using Saeco # 356, 200gr FNGC and WC846. 39.0 = 2140, 40.0 = 2271, 40.5 = 2272, 41.0 = 2334. Range 50 yards, issue trigger and apurture sights. Visually inspected boolits, thrown charges. That 41.0 gr load is basically a full caseload as the boolit is sitting on the charge, but the velocity is pretty good for a 35 Rem as it is.

................Buckshot

303Guy
05-17-2010, 05:14 AM
Those are not exactly cat sneeze loads. A 200gr cast boolit doing 2334fps!

My Father used to hunt Cape buffalo with a 35 Remington pump action. Once he killed one with a heart shot but the bullet passed between the ribs and hit another buff behind and broke its shoulder - he had to finish it off. The 35 Reminton is not a puny cartridge! (I'm not sure whether my Dad was just plain nuts, fearless or simply knew what he was doing. He made 90 this year so it obviously didn't do him any harm!:mrgreen: Oh yes - he had to get up real close).

Bret4207
05-17-2010, 06:53 AM
Thanks everyone for the help It'll give me a good idea where to start. One more question if I could, I have read on other posts about PB in other calibers on what a plain base boolit is capable of velocity wise if the fit is good and the right alloy used,Question is what IS the "right" alloy ? Or isnt there one for all applications? I have so far casted some of these out of two different alloy's one was straight WW and the other was 1:1 WW and lino. Can vel. be upped some(say 1500 fps) with the harder alloy or might it be too hard . Again Thanks

Tim

IMO the right alloy is the one you have easiest access to. I say work with what you've got until you decide you want to change.

I have found that there are practical limits to lead alloy, for me at least. To me they seem to be more dependent on boolit design and fit than Bhn. With the proper fit and a design the barrel likes you can get into the 1500 fps area +/- 150 fps or so. No matter how hard or tough or expensive your alloy there's no telling just when it'll call it quits or where you can go. I've seen too any "it can't be dones" get done to say there is a rock solid limit or threshold.