PDA

View Full Version : Good sources for Tin??

ANeat
07-27-2006, 08:23 PM
Hello; I was wondering where everyone gets Tin?? I like most shooters/casters/reloaders am always looking. Ive used lead free solder, 50/50 bar solder in the past. Ive noticed that Midway sells tin. Several guys on Ebay sell it from time to time as well. I was looking at Taracorp website http://www.taracorp.com/products_alloys_industrial.php?taracorp=f397707091 125c9b10bbbfd0b559a1c8
and they list tin ingots. I will probably contact them to see what they charge for tin.

Any good sources???

Adam

wills
07-27-2006, 08:52 PM
A discussion on the old board

http://www.aimoo.com/forum/postview.cfm?id=514616&CategoryID=228143&threadid=1400992&highlight_key=y&keyword1=tin

Bullshop
07-27-2006, 09:30 PM
John Walters of Walters wads.
BIC/BS

Lloyd Smale
07-28-2006, 06:09 AM
I have two sorces. One is a buddy who works at a paper mill that has alot of babit laying around and when they pour bearings they save the left overs for me and its netted me about 300 lbs over the years. Another is the local radiator shops. Most will give me there solder drippings from boiling out old radiators. Its as messy as smelting wws but gives you free 60/40 solder. I hit them once a year and usually get about 100 lbs from each. Ive found babit at the scrap yards to but i dont have the knowlege to tell lead based babbit from tin based babbit so i passed on that oppertunity. I guess if i was hard up i would have took a chance on it. But at the time had about 300 lbs of tin on hand.

Beau Cassidy
07-28-2006, 07:04 AM
Be careful on the babbitt from the scrapyard. Get a small piece first and take it home to try it before you buy the whole kitty. I thought I hit the motherload a few years ago and bought 700 lbs. They set it in the back of my truck with a forklift. Luckily I didn't unload the whole lot before I tried a piece by putting it in my melting skillet and trialing it against a ww. It didn't melt and the ww did. That told me it wasn't what I wanted. Luckily the scrap metal folks were pretty cool because I buy a lot from them. They took it right back and gave me my check back. It could have been an expensive lesson.

Beau

vp146b4
07-28-2006, 09:22 AM
Aneat, I have a good source for pure tin at $5/lb, plus shipping, and with the Post Offices bulk box, you can ship up to, I think, 70# for $8.50. The tin is pure, and comes in 1lb bars that are easy to cut. If you order larger quantities, the price can be improved. Let me know if your interested. This is good stuff
Bill