PDA

View Full Version : drippy lee pot, i searched!

troy_mclure
05-10-2010, 07:39 AM
yes i searched, but couldn't find the thread on how to de-drip the lee bottom pour pot.

mines gotten pretty annoying.

and yes i cleaned it.

docone31
05-10-2010, 07:56 AM
What size is it?

dromia
05-10-2010, 08:08 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=66981&highlight=Lee+pot+drip

Through the search function I got this in less than a minute, enjoy.

.30/30 Guy
05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
The only sure cure is to buy a RCBS.

05-10-2010, 10:49 AM
Troy,
Here's what I did to my Lee 10-pounder:
Applied lapping compound to the rod and lapped the inside of the spout.
Attached a spring between the handle and base.

Not a 100% cure, but a vast improvement.

EMC45
05-10-2010, 01:46 PM
I just give it (the stem/screw) a judicious tap with my sprue knocker or "adjust" the screw on the stem's top. This is for a 10lber of course.

cheese1566
05-10-2010, 02:08 PM
For a 20 pounder, unscrew the wood knob- slide on several large fender washers (big washer with little hole), screw wood knob back on. This will a little weight to the plunger.

troy_mclure
05-10-2010, 07:45 PM
mines a 10lb pot. ill try some of the suggestions thanks.

(i didnt put the "+" in the search)

Recluse
05-10-2010, 08:36 PM
The only sure cure is to buy a RCBS.

My ProMelt drips every bit as much as my Lee pots. It's just a "classier" drip since it cost four times as much as the Lee. Thankfully it doesn't drip four times as much. . . But it sure doesn't drip four times as less. :)

Bottom pour furnaces are going to drip from time to time. Comes with the territory.

:coffee:

Shooter6br
05-10-2010, 10:27 PM
I use a spring attached to the handle to the base slows the drips down quite alot i will send pic

Shooter6br
05-10-2010, 10:34 PM
spring from Home depot

DLCTEX
05-11-2010, 12:29 AM
I just clamp the small vice grips on the valve rod. Also makes it easy to twist the rod if drips start. I have very little dripping with my Lee 10#.

mdi
05-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Another thought is to keep the melt as lean as possible. It doesn't take much to cause a drip; a very small piece of crud in the valve will cause a steady drip. My Lee pot (20 lb.) doesn't drip very much but I installed the handle weights just in case.

redneckdan
05-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Check for clearance between the rim and the draw bar for the pour valve. Pretty much the only thing holding the crucible up in the Z axis is the think piece of aluminium plate on the bottom of the outer covering. Over time I've found that from the heat and the weight of the crucible the plate will bend allowing the crucible to slide down in the heating coil....effectively making the distance from the valve seat to the draw bar longer. Eventually this distance will increase to the point that the draw bar is resting on the top rim of the pot, thus holding the valve slightly open. :veryconfu I've found the best solution is to take the bottom aluminum plate off, shove the crucible back up where it belongs, put three conviently sized rocks in the bottom between the crusible and the bottom plate and position each rock near one of the three screws that retains the bottom plate.

Now not just any rocks will do....for $14.95+$20 shipping, handling and beer money I will send you three perfectly sized pieces of Porcupine Volcanics Basalt. Now these aren't just any rocks.....they come from over 9000' feet under lake superior....thats how you know they are good. Better hurry though...when Ric's Lube Groove Emporium hears of this amazing new technology they will surely pursue a hostile corporate takeover....with a definite increase in price...act fast now... :kidding:

SP101GUY
05-11-2010, 01:20 PM
Some how I got lucky, my 20# pot came with the steel handle for the 10# pot. Hardly ever drips as long as I keep it clean. The handle gets nice and hot though. But thats what welding gloves are for.

AJ

SharpsShooter
05-11-2010, 02:30 PM
I lapped my 20 pound Lee first thing out of the box. It almost never drips. Clean your alloy before it gets to the pot and problems just do not occur.

SS

Bob in Revelstoke
05-12-2010, 12:30 AM
I look at it this way, Lee bottom pour pots leak. Like death and taxes it is a fact of life.

As it drips and forms a column sometimes it is quite artistic. The drips harden and form unique shapes. I have saved some and have used them for miniature paper weights or, have just kept them on a shelf. Always draw comments from visitors to my casting area. If I get tired of them I just put them back in the pot.

Phat Man Mike
05-12-2010, 01:50 AM
mine go so bad I boxed it up and sent it back ! they fixed it and work's great!! (and yes I cleaned it 3 times before I sent it back)

Dan Cash
05-12-2010, 04:19 PM
Remove the valve assembly. Ram a sheet metal screw of sufficient size in the hole in the bottom and use you Lyman/RCBS ladle. Problem solved forever.

05-12-2010, 06:15 PM
Bob in Revelstoke: Examples of my Lee's "Pot Art".

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=58240&highlight=pot+art

GP100man
05-12-2010, 10:46 PM
I use clean ingots & clean it after every 5th pot .

I use the small vise grips clamped on & close it with a snappy motion .

I even tilted it back a bit with 1/2" plywood in the front .

All this has helped but as bob stated it comes with the territory.

Most of the time I can return the mold before it drips !

fredj338
05-13-2010, 02:24 PM
I look at it this way, Lee bottom pour pots leak. Like death and taxes it is a fact of life.

As it drips and forms a column sometimes it is quite artistic. The drips harden and form unique shapes. I have saved some and have used them for miniature paper weights or, have just kept them on a shelf. Always draw comments from visitors to my casting area. If I get tired of them I just put them back in the pot.
Not entirely true. My ealry model 10# used to drip like crazy. I used to smelt in it & run it empty. Once I stopped doing both, never a drip issue. Same for the new 20# I got a few years ago. Don't smelt in it & keep it at least half full, rarely drips.

troy_mclure
05-14-2010, 10:12 AM
i think my crucible has dropped like mentioned.

ill try checking it out after i re-empty it.

thanks for the ideas.

sheepdog
05-14-2010, 11:39 AM
A paperclip and some good flux will reduce dripping a great deal.