PDA

View Full Version : How I started casting

509thsfs
05-09-2010, 09:47 PM
I started casting in 1994 due to dumb luck and a sort of need. For a couple years I shot in our unit PPC league while stationed in MI. Before the 1st match I noticed I needed some cast boolits and also to check zero on my .357. I checked with a local shop and found he had hand cast 162 gr LSWC/GC's that he cast himself. I bought a couple 100, loaded some up with my target/comp recipe, headed to the range and shot 2 groups of 6 at 25 yds with My Ruger Security Six that were each one hole groups easily covered by a quarter. Went back to the shop and told him I'd buy all he had.

A couple years later I moved and was stationed in MO. A guy I shot with in MI was there and I told him I missed getting those boolits from the guy there. He laughed and said "guess what, I have that mold. Bought it when he closed the shop because the base was closing". I told him name his price!! Bought the mold, Lee melting pot, and RCBS lubrisizer, sizing die and top punch off of him for $50. Bought a casting book and a bucket of WW's from the local scrap yard ($25) and I was in business!

Here's one reason I stayed with it. I got my last 4 buckets of WW's FREE over last week. 2 of the buckets were melted down and I got 148 lbs of lead. 150 lbs will be used and cast price of only one manufacturer used for the comparison for this example.

.38 cal 158gr - 150 lb WW's = 6600 free boolits. Commercial price per 1000 = $110

.45 cal 230 gr - 150 lbs WW's = 4650 free boolits. Commercial price per 1000 = $108

.41 mag 215 gr -150 lb WW's = 4800 free boolits. Commercial price per 1000 = $128

9mm 125 gr - 150 lbs WW's = 8400 free boolits. Commercial price per 1000 = $104

Not too bad a trade off for a little extra time and work. But, it's not work when you enjoy it.

jonk
05-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Unless you melted down the lead and cast bullets over a wood fire using scrap wood, there is some energy cost involved. Lube or lube components also cost something.

However, I'm right there with you. For a few cents of power and lube, I can turn out a few hundred bullets. Heck, even if it cost me a whole DOLLAR, in an hour I can save what, $50 at least over what it would cost to BUY that many jacketed bullets, or at least $15 over what it would cost to buy even reasonable cast bullets commercially.

ghh3rd
05-09-2010, 10:38 PM
I have to explain to family and friends why I am casting and reloading. Started in order to be able to shoot more, but it is fun and gratifying as well.

stationed in MO
Whiteman in Knob Nostor?

509thsfs
05-09-2010, 10:46 PM
Yea ghh, went to Whiteman in Mo after they closed Wurtsmith in MI. Retired out of Whiteman in 2000

Jonk, you're right on the energy thing, but if it's costs me 1/2 a 20 gal tank of propane to clean up the WW's, I figure the cost of shipping or even a couple gallons of gas for travel to a shop to buy bullets plus sales tax makes that cost factor a wash.

bohokii
05-10-2010, 08:52 PM
i started out with about 5 pounds of wheel weights and though hey i pay $35 for 500 cast bullets from the gunstore

if i can get some gear that would be less than that it would pay for itself quick in case i hate it

so one lee 45 230 tl 2 cav mold for $20 and the lee .452 sizing kit with bottle of alox for $15

a skillet i had out in the garage full of sheetrock screws and a coleman stove under my camping tent and, a spoon that didnt match any in the drawer

my bullets skid down the barrel and make an aweful mess but heck they are cheap especially since a buddy of mine game me about 50 pounds of bullet scrap and i cranked out another couple thousand they are making less of a mess in my barrel

Blacksmith
05-10-2010, 10:00 PM
Ghh and 509
I was stationed at Whiteman in 1967 when it was a SAC Missle base.

Blacksmith