PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys pay for lead?

awguns
07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
Hi Guys, a newbie here. Been over at SP board for a while. Took a gander here, and liked what I saw, so here I am:-D

Anyways, what are you guys paying for lead? I got a guy at work who came across a few ingots. I will find out tomorrow how much, but its probably close to 50#. What should I offer him? I was thinking a $1 a pound.

A Smith

mparks
07-27-2006, 06:18 PM
50 cents a pound at a sale last weekend. 97 pounds worth. Check what it goes for on ebay after shipping.

Bass Ackward
07-27-2006, 06:22 PM
Hi Guys, a newbie here. Been over at SP board for a while. Took a gander here, and liked what I saw, so here I am:-D

Anyways, what are you guys paying for lead? I got a guy at work who came across a few ingots. I will find out tomorrow how much, but its probably close to 50#. What should I offer him? I was thinking a $1 a pound.

A Smith

PAY FOR LEAD????? Oh my goodness!!!! PAY FOR LEAD!!!!!!

Shepherd2
07-27-2006, 06:47 PM
First, welcome to the board awguns.

I don't know what to advise you about paying for the lead. I get most of mine in wheel weight form for 15 cents a pound. A dollar a pound is a lot more than I'd want to pay for lead. You might ask him what he wants for it and go from there. At least then you'll have an idea of what he thinks it's worth.

felix
07-27-2006, 06:50 PM
Certified 99.99 lead should be close to a buck per pound. Shoot that? No way, my friend. ... felix

ANeat
07-27-2006, 07:56 PM
Most of the local recycling places near me sell it for .40 to .50 a pound. When they buy it they pay .07 to .10 a pound. So anything over .10 a pound is probably more than he would get anywhere else.

If you want to pay $1.00 a pound for scrap lead I can probably get all you want delivered to your door for that price.

Adam

Bullshop
07-27-2006, 09:58 PM
I just got two ton of certified from the Mayflower Movers guy. It came from damaged goods they were contracted to move. There were two contaner cabinets each contaning 1 ton of sheet lead. Each of the 4 walls, top, and bottom contaned 4 sheets of 1/4" thick butter soft lead. These are intended for storage of radioactive meds at the hospital.
If damaged in any way they are not accepted. These were dropped and badly twisted. The MM guy said his insurance pays for replacment but they did not want to pay for disposal. I offered him .25 and he settled for .30. The junk yard is paying .05.
You should contact some movers in your area and tell them you can dispose of such items.
I give coppies of my fed manufactures license and state business license to quell any hazmat fears they may have.
BIC/BS

mike in co
07-28-2006, 12:09 AM
buy lead....pay hard cash for ww ???......

big o just took over the last place i had an arrangement with. i just shook hands on a new deal with the new owner.....
i do not "charge" him to remove the waste, and offer him , his son and any co workers free recycled ww in the form of fishing weights...

pay for ww....ewwwwwwww just the thought !

yes i paid for lino...just to get some to alloy for my 44 win mag boolits

steveb
07-28-2006, 12:17 AM
Welcome to the forum, glad to have you here. A couple weeks ago I stopped by my local tire shop and paid .08 a lb. I got two 5 gallon bucket fulls. Im hitting them up again in a week!:) Welcome aboard!

corvette8n
07-28-2006, 10:14 AM
I guess I'm lucky, have a friend that works PT for a metal recycling place,
brings me ww, block tin and lino(when they can get it.)
not large quaitities but often enough to keep me casting.

Bucks Owin
07-28-2006, 12:28 PM
I think $1.00 per lb is kinda high. There's a guy locally trying to sell 1 lb ingots of "pure" lead for that price and is not having any luck. I know I won't pay $10 to fill my Prod Pot when there is free WW lead available with a little scrounging around.....(and sometimes bribery with a cold six pack)

FWIW,

Dennis :castmine:

(I believe it's around .35 cents at the recyclers...)

BPCS
07-28-2006, 12:50 PM
I paid 30 cents a pound for sheet leading used on roofs. It is suppose to be about 99% + pure lead. I bought 300 pounds and went back later for more and they were all sold out.

BPCS

awguns
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Well, a little searching found out that the local scrappers are paying around .40 a pound, .22 for WW. I got the lead today from my coworker, and kept my word for the $1 a pound (26 total), but told him in the future, I will only offer .40.

I have a big tire shop near me, so I think I am going to take a drive over and inquire about their WW's.

My pot arrives monday, so maybe I'll sneak into the garage and start making some ingots Monday night!

:castmine: (soon)

Aaron

windwalker
07-29-2006, 02:22 PM
i get all my sheet lead for free one of the subcontractors where i work gets it at building sites when he does service work on our companys windows the roof plumbers leave the offcuts so my mate picks it all up and gives it to me at the end of the week got 20 lbs friday some weeks i get over 30 lbs it is 99.9 pure lead i just mix a bit of tin to make a 20 to 1 mix for the rifle bullets and use it as is for the muzzeloader bullets and balls .
bernie:-D

georgeld
07-30-2006, 01:51 AM
oh man, don't think I've heard of anyone buying lead!

I've got an offer for you. Have some over 20 five gallon buckets of scrap bullets
stacked in my shop. You come and get it and do ALL the labor, it's yours!

Even better, check the posting on casting equip on another thread here and you can use my BIG pot and molds to make ingots. You buy the gas and do all the work it's yours, I help I get half.

It's already hard enough you can't mark it with a thumb nail. I've been getting 110-120lbs per bucket.

Nope, not gonna dig it out and mail it, you gotta come here to get it.
Anyone serious, I'll send a bullet or two cast from it to test for hardness.

BUY lead???? hehe! Not me!

Wish you well,

George

imashooter2
07-30-2006, 06:27 PM
There'd already be a truck in your driveway if I didn't live in PA!

That's a very generous offer.

Hackleback
07-30-2006, 09:45 PM
[smilie=1: George, I will be in Denver next weekend!![smilie=1:

PatMarlin
07-31-2006, 11:54 AM
I've noticed a jump in wheel weight scroungers lately. I'm gonna have to start paying a lot more than I had been to get some.

Was $8 a (5 gal) bucket, now maybe $20. I think the growth of this forum's had something to do with it.. :roll: :mrgreen:

Goatlips
08-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Was $8 a (5 gal) bucket, now maybe $20. I think the growth of this forum's had something to do with it.. :roll: :mrgreen:

That's right Pat, blame the victims! :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:

(Thanks for the reminder, gotta call my tire guy and see if we're still friends...)

Goatlips

ktw
08-01-2006, 12:23 AM
I've picked up about 14 five gallon buckets in the last couple of months. I haven't had to pay for any of them. On a couple of occasions I did tip the guy $5 for carrying a full bucket out to the truck for me. ;-)

-ktw

PatMarlin
08-01-2006, 12:33 AM
Oh well, I take some comfort in knowing I can reclaim most of mine with a metal detector and shovel, and some tree stumps rotting when the time comes. :coffeecom [smilie=f:

obssd1958
08-01-2006, 12:40 AM
I stopped in at 2 BIG tire shops today - no WW :(

The one store said they had been cleaned out last Thursday. The guy up front said that they are selling the scrap lead to their battery supplier when they have it.

The other store didn't have any WW either, but if they had, they are getting $15 for a 2 gallon bucket full!!!!!!!! :shock: :shock: The manager said that THEIR battery supplier was paying them $17 for the same amount. Claimed that scrap lead prices have jumped substantially in the last few weeks??

I guess I'm going to have to try further away from town! :confused:

Anyone have any other ideas?

Don

ktw
08-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Anyone have any other ideas?

I've had much better luck at small tire shops and auto dealers in out of the way places than at the larger tire shops in metropolitian areas. May only score 1/4 bucket to 1 bucket at a time, but it adds up.

-ktw

georgeld
08-01-2006, 01:54 AM
Much easier to take a bucket and rake and go spend a couple hours or less at your local range. or shooting berm.

I used to fill a bucket in less than 20 min with all I could carry. They're always glad to have someone help control the contamination.

Plus, what you pick up is already the proper, or very close hardness.
It's always free for the picking too.

George

georgeld
08-01-2006, 02:00 AM
Hackleback:

Don't know what you're gonna do in Denver.
Damned longways from Pueblo!! Two hour drive from my place.

Come on, IF you're talking about this offer though. It'sgood enough you can count on it. Just be sure to bring your working clothes! About noon there's shade back there the rest of the day too!

George

imashooter2
08-01-2006, 06:39 AM
Much easier to take a bucket and rake and go spend a couple hours or less at your local range. or shooting berm.

I used to fill a bucket in less than 20 min with all I could carry. They're always glad to have someone help control the contamination.

Plus, what you pick up is already the proper, or very close hardness.
It's always free for the picking too.

George

Around here you aren't allowed on a range unless you are a member and no ranges allow mining the berms, to include picking up surface lead. I have managed to find an indoor range that will let me have their scrap, but it is an hour and a half away up a toll road. I only stop there when I'm shooting a match at their club.

Free lead is getting scarce. If you can find it where you live, better start putting in a lifetime supply.

MtJerry
08-01-2006, 02:32 PM
I think I got this "how to get free lead thing" figured out now.

Went to the local tire shop to have a tire repaired becuase my 5 year old has been playing with the roofing nails in the driveway again.

While the truck was in the bay, I asked the owner (it's a big shop - not a mom & pop deal) if he had any wheelweights. He said he'd just been cleaned out a few day earlier by someone else. I said I'd take whatever he had, even if it was just a half bucket or so. He said "help yourself to what's here, at least your paying for the tire repair" meaning I could roam the shop and empty the buckets by the equipment.

Half a bucket here, part of one there. Came home with FOUR 5 gal buckets of lead. Free .....

Well, almost. I did pay $20 for the flat repair.

Now, where did my son put those nails ......

DOUBLEJK
08-01-2006, 02:52 PM
$1.00 a pound?:shock:
Jeeper's I don't know what I'd say if I actually had ta fork over green fer WW's...
The tire store here is owned by a shooter but non caster so I trade him a little butter tub a sized n lubed boolits fer the WW's he has on hand...I sometimes get 1 bucket n sometimes as many as 7 buckets....
Purty fine arrangement IMHO...:mrgreen:

Steelbanger
08-01-2006, 04:33 PM
I have paid anywhere from nothing to $20 for a bucket of wheelweights. Some years back I bought almost 3 tons of typemetal and should have enough to last the remainder of my shooting days. I still keep an eye out for softer material and ww to mix with my hard lead.

Currently I am setting a deal up for some friends which involves linotype from a printer friend of mine. He's asking 50¢/lb and I will probably end up delivering about 700 pounds of the stuff.

Local scrap dealer was paying 15¢/lb a few weeks ago.

Junior1942
08-01-2006, 05:35 PM
Well, almost. I did pay $20 for the flat repair. Had one fixed last week here in small town rural low-rent north Louisiana. Cost was $9.

steveb
08-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Just score on 3.75 buckets of WW. One tire shop charged me .08 a lb. I told them a bucket full was 100lb?? Do any of you know how many lbs will fit in a full bucket?? Went to another tire shop and they charged me .15 a lb or 15.00 a bucket full. They accepted 40.00 for three full buckets. Better than buying bullets anyway.:castmine:

rigmarol
08-03-2006, 07:57 PM
I've only ever paid for lead once. It was raining and I didn't want to haggle so I gave the guy 5$ for 200lbs of WW. He said he usually gets $20 but when I thanked him for his time and headed for the truck he called me back and accepted by fiver.

All the rest have been more than happy to have me HAUL AWAY their TRASH for free.
That's how I go about it; "Hi, mind if I haul your scrap WW away for you? no charge."

I've gotten one good score on some XRAY room shielding too. Not sure yet how to melt it down but I'll get er done.

By the way AWGUNS, DON'T use your CASTING POT FOR MELTING WW!!!!!!!!!!!! Use a "dirty" pot to melt and flux and alloy your scrounged lead. Use your new pot for bullets only.

Making ingots in your "clean" pot will cause problems with your pour spout later.
Be careful, casting is addictive.

Plainsman
08-03-2006, 08:42 PM
PAY FOR LEAD????? Oh my goodness!!!! PAY FOR LEAD!!!!!!

That's EXACTLY what I was thinking!!! I go around to tire shops and ask for FREE WW...

georgeld
08-05-2006, 12:04 AM
WW's are all sewed up around these parts.
Some other guy has a WW factory and recycles them at a discount to the tire store's on new one's. He even furnish's all the two gallon red buckets they can use.

He must kiss 'em right, cause no one will even talk about it other than to tell about this arrangement.