PDA

View Full Version : Star Model BM afficianodo needed

Tazman1602
05-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a Star Model BM I've had for 30 years. We had it out shooting today and, well, daughter loaded a round backwards in the mag (don't ask....) and I *think* the resulting jam/misfire/almost blowup blew a piece out of the frame itself.

On the left side by where the slide release is there is a very narrow cut in the slide rail --- I cannot remember if that cut (it's VERY clean and almost looks like it was made like that) was there to begin with or if the OOB fire blew what looks like a machined cut into the slide rail.

Gun is a BM model 9mm, any help appreciated. Daughter is fine, no leaks, no hand damage but she got the **** scared out of her when the gun went "bang" a lot louder than it should and got blowback in her face also - safety glasses rule..................if anyone HAS a BM model and can post a picture of the left side of the frame with the slide off I'd really appreciate it, I can post pics too if that will help.

Many Thanks,

Art

PS -- A variety of mistakes happened. I was yappin at her about gun safety, her cellphone was going off, we were talking between her and wife and I instead of paying attention to what we were doing, and worst of all I, me, myself, was NOT paying enough attention to someone who did not have a lot of experience with that handgun. My fault, bar none. It would have ticked her off to ask to inspect that mag but I damn well should have. The exact reason when I'm reloading if I get ONE interuption I stop what I"m doing, trash whats in the press, and start from scratch.

scrapcan
05-10-2010, 03:17 PM
there might be something on the following page that will help you.

http://star-firearms.com/firearms/manuals/index.shtml

It has been too long since I have had one of these apart.

Tazman1602
05-10-2010, 03:22 PM
Thanks Manley, found that yesterday but it appears there is no machined slot on the frame from the
Schematic to me. Still looking for another owner to confirm or deny. At least daughter
Is OK and the Star will make a nice refinished wall hanger if it comes down to it.

Thank You

Art

BBA
05-10-2010, 03:26 PM
I pretty sure that the slot is normal. I'm at work right now but will check back in a couple hrs.

Tazman1602
05-10-2010, 03:33 PM
Thank you very much!!!!!!!!!!!!

i pretty sure that the slot is normal. I'm at work right now but will check back in a couple hrs.

StarMetal
05-10-2010, 03:34 PM
If it caused the cartridge to go off in a jammed position more then likely the round wasn't confined enough to build high pressure and nothing was damaged. Check the pistol over thorough for cracks, things bent, etc.. you may give it a try with some dummy ammo, then some mild loads you know are safe. If you don't feel comfortable with that take it too a good gunsmith and have him look it over and test fire it. It would be a shame to wall hang it especially if it's unharmed, as those Stars are great pistols.

Glad your daughter wasn't hurt.

Tazman1602
05-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Thanks StarM,
I'm qualified on 1911a-1's I've just never worked on my Star. I *think* the slot is normal,
Function is fine, no cracks, bends, or even rough spots. The slot LOOKS like it was machined,
I just really want to ne sure. It does fire reduced loads flawlessly so I'm guessing its ok
But I want to be certain. Soon as I get home ill post a pic, at hospital 200 miles away with

Very sick MIL

Thanks for all the help guys. Backwards round didn't go off but gun blasted her face and hands
With powder as bullet got shoved back into case igniting charge. Could have been much much worse
Thanks
Art

StarMetal
05-10-2010, 03:46 PM
Thanks StarM,
I'm qualified on 1911a-1's I've just never worked on my Star. I *think* the slot is normal,
Function is fine, no cracks, bends, or even rough spots. The slot LOOKS like it was machined,
I just really want to ne sure. It does fire reduced loads flawlessly so I'm guessing its ok
But I want to be certain. Soon as I get home ill post a pic, at hospital 200 miles away with

Very sick MIL

Thanks for all the help guys. Backwards round didn't go off but gun blasted her face and hands
With powder as bullet got shoved back into case igniting charge. Could have been much much worse
Thanks
Art

Art,

It's very hard to tell you to do this. If the gun IS dangerous I'd never ever forgive myself if something happened. In fact if we were close I'd shoot it for you.

You sound very competent in diagnosing the pistol. Keep us posted.

mike in co
05-10-2010, 05:44 PM
yes....

Hey Guys,

I have a Star Model BM I've had for 30 years. We had it out shooting today and, well, daughter loaded a round backwards in the mag (don't ask....) and I *think* the resulting jam/misfire/almost blowup blew a piece out of the frame itself.

On the left side by where the slide release is there is a very narrow cut in the slide rail --- I cannot remember if that cut (it's VERY clean and almost looks like it was made like that) was there to begin with or if the OOB fire blew what looks like a machined cut into the slide rail.

Gun is a BM model 9mm, any help appreciated. Daughter is fine, no leaks, no hand damage but she got the **** scared out of her when the gun went "bang" a lot louder than it should and got blowback in her face also - safety glasses rule..................if anyone HAS a BM model and can post a picture of the left side of the frame with the slide off I'd really appreciate it, I can post pics too if that will help.

Many Thanks,

Art

PS -- A variety of mistakes happened. I was yappin at her about gun safety, her cellphone was going off, we were talking between her and wife and I instead of paying attention to what we were doing, and worst of all I, me, myself, was NOT paying enough attention to someone who did not have a lot of experience with that handgun. My fault, bar none. It would have ticked her off to ask to inspect that mag but I damn well should have. The exact reason when I'm reloading if I get ONE interuption I stop what I"m doing, trash whats in the press, and start from scratch.

Tazman1602
05-11-2010, 05:44 PM
yes....

Hey Mike,

Yes a variety of mistakes happened that were stupid or yes you have a Star BM you could take a look at??

If you've got one and could take a look I"d really appreciate it...

Thanks,

Art

Tazman1602
05-11-2010, 05:45 PM
I pretty sure that the slot is normal. I'm at work right now but will check back in a couple hrs.

Hey BBA --

Just wondering if you had a chance to look at that Star and see if the slot I'm talking about is indeed machined or not.

Many Thanks,

Art

BBA
05-12-2010, 07:44 AM
Sorry for not getting back sooner, my wife has been in the hospital.

There are 3 cuts on the left side. the most forward cut is the side stop notch(rectangular shape). Next is an arch shaped notch(about an inch back) where the safety holds back the slide. The last is at the rear, for the safety.
I can try to get a photo but will have to get my son on that.

James Wisner
05-12-2010, 09:38 AM
I pulled mine down, and there is a .030" wide machined slot from the top of the frame into the top middle of the recess for the slide stop.

The other 4 BM's that we picked up a couple of years ago had the same slot as well.

FYI, I made a batch of intertia firing pins for these and still have some of them on hand.

Glad to hear that no one got hurt.

James Wisner

mike in co
05-12-2010, 10:39 AM
Hey Mike,

Yes a variety of mistakes happened that were stupid or yes you have a Star BM you could take a look at??

If you've got one and could take a look I"d really appreciate it...

Thanks,

Art

the yes is to your original question..is there a slot....

Tazman1602
05-12-2010, 03:36 PM
A big thanks to all you guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!