PDA

View Full Version : 2 cavity or splurge for 6

2Tite
05-08-2010, 02:41 PM
The other day my wife finished changing oil in our vehicles and washed my truck. When she finished waxing it she complained that now that I was retired she was having trouble keeping up with her bullet casting. She thinks I'm spending more time at the range and feels like she should have a two cavity mold. She thinks it would increase her production and allow more time for her other duties. I do concede that I'm shooting more and agree with her point. My question to the group is; Are they really worth the money? I guess they probably are......I told her that if she could hold out through the summer I'd go halves on a six cavity Lee mold for her birthday. I'm thinking the 6 cavity might give her time to finish up on her weed eating. I feel bad for her when it gets dark on her before she finishes her mowing. I've got a big yard and she has to hurry to get done sometimes. I don't want to make her think I don't appreciate what she does. She's really good about cleaning fish, digging worms and stuff like that. I just feel uneasy about the expense. What do you guys think?

lylejb
05-08-2010, 03:03 PM
First, WOW your wife does all that! Your a lucky man!

My first mould was a Lee 6 cav, and after learning how to use it, I love it.

A Lee 6cav = $40. a Lee 2cav = $20 some. It's well worth the extra $20 if it's a boolit you use in volume. The time saved is huge.

I think I would go nuts if I tried to make a 1000 boolits with a single cav mould.

Suo Gan
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I think I would have her make due with the two cavity, and save the extra money for a massage table so when she is done casting she would be able to give you a proper massage.

docone31
05-08-2010, 03:07 PM
I would go with a Lee 2 cavity.
You can crank out some castings.
When I am going, I stop when my arms get tired.

Freightman
05-08-2010, 03:08 PM
Think you are shucking some corn myself.

mooman76
05-08-2010, 05:44 PM
You should be asshamed of your self. Least you could do is get her a good light for when she is mowing the lawn so she can see when it gets dark out. Next thing you know, she'll want to get handles for the mould too. There are 24 hours in a day so don't waist them.

ghh3rd
05-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Don't forget to mention that she mines for lead at the range every Saturday, and has a wheel weight route.

Matt_G
05-08-2010, 06:11 PM
The other day my wife finished changing oil in our vehicles and washed my truck. When she finished waxing it she complained that now that I was retired she was having trouble keeping up with her bullet casting. She thinks I'm spending more time at the range and feels like she should have a two cavity mold. She thinks it would increase her production and allow more time for her other duties. I do concede that I'm shooting more and agree with her point. My question to the group is; Are they really worth the money? I guess they probably are......I told her that if she could hold out through the summer I'd go halves on a six cavity Lee mold for her birthday. I'm thinking the 6 cavity might give her time to finish up on her weed eating. I feel bad for her when it gets dark on her before she finishes her mowing. I've got a big yard and she has to hurry to get done sometimes. I don't want to make her think I don't appreciate what she does. She's really good about cleaning fish, digging worms and stuff like that. I just feel uneasy about the expense. What do you guys think?

I think you needed a "tongue in cheek" emoticon.
And I'm wishing I had been wearing hip waders while reading that. :mrgreen:

waksupi
05-08-2010, 06:18 PM
I would go with the six cavity. However, I would be sure to buy a new pot, with a mold support, so she doesn't tire her wrists, and slow down the potato peeling.

05-08-2010, 08:31 PM
Gentlemen, you should be ashamed of yourselves, joking about all the chores Mrs. 2Tite has volunteered to endure. It appears that she has but a single-cavity mould to cast all those boolits, otherwise 2Tite wouldn't be inquiring about even a 2-cavity, let alone a 6-cavity. To keep Mrs. 2Tite's learning curve to the minimum -- she is an extremely busy lady, remember -- I think that another single-cavity would be more than sufficient.

To keep costs as low as possible, a mould of the same brand as the existing one would eliminate having to buy another set of handles. That way she could cast a boolit with one mould, remove the handles, install them on the other mould and cast the second boolit, remove the handles...

End result: Zero learning curve so no time is lost from her other pleasureable activities, boolit production is increased 100%, and the cost is low enough -- they are living on a fixed income -- that Mrs. 2Tite can afford to buy can of car polish, a roll of Weed-Eater string, and a box of laundry detergent.

WHITETAIL
05-09-2010, 08:46 AM
Does she have a sister?
And go for the two cavity.:redneck:

gray wolf
05-09-2010, 09:05 AM
Sometimes you men just don't see the answer--OK I will help out here it's simple
Just move someplace on Earth that has more daylight.
If not ---- I like the Idea of some daylight type flood lights for around the property.
Or you could move things closer together and teach her to multi task-->
you know--right hand --left hand. Also get her up a little earlier--don't want to wast the daylight.
It's all in fun--it's a joke.

mag44uk
05-09-2010, 10:26 AM
Thats the funniest thing I`ve read in a long time!!
Tony

pls1911
05-09-2010, 10:45 AM
The difference in quality between the two cavity and the six cavity is VRY substantial.
Money better spent on a six cavity.
Alternately, often high quality Seaco , Hensley& Gibbs and other 4 holers can be found resonably on ebay

mdi
05-09-2010, 11:41 AM
Well, I enjoy mostly all of my casting/reloading chores and don't have a boolit quota so I go with a 2 hole mold. I'm in no hurry. My wife doesn't help me stuff cartridges but she does help me unload them to provide me with more brass to load!

sirgknight
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Just do like I did.....adjust the height of the working bench to her size and get her a more comfortable chair!!!!!

Artful
05-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Oh, get her the six cavity, once you go multi hole you'll never go back and the more the merrier.

mooman76
05-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Get her the 6x. That way she will have more time to do other things like clean your guns after a hard day at the range.

XWrench3
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
6 cavity all the way. if i could buy 6 cavity rifle molds, i would use them as well. even though i enjoy casting, i would just as soon get it done and over with sooner, than later. i have 4 - 6 cavity pistol molds, and they all work quite well. i would sell off all of my 2 cavity molds in a new york minute to buy 6 cavities if they were made available.

zuke
05-10-2010, 11:28 AM
This took me 2 1/2 hrs. with a LEE 6 cavity.

http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/yy356/zuke_bucket/DSCF1052.jpg