PDA

View Full Version : Moon clips in Taurus Judge?

a.squibload
05-08-2010, 02:38 PM
A freind just got a Taurus Judge revolver, he likes the .410 shells, says they are cheap.
He asked about using .45acp ammo in it, I told him about rims on revolver ammo vs no rims on auto.
Then told him some 45 revolvers can use moon clips. I haven't looked that closely at the Judge, haven't seen his yet.

Does anyone know for sure if moon clips can be used in a Judge?

Eagles6
05-08-2010, 03:17 PM
Taurus makes moon clips for their 45 acp revolvers.

I think that the cylinder would be too long to accommodate 45 acp though, too much jump to the throat.

AZ-Stew
05-08-2010, 03:33 PM
I think the first thing you'd run into is a headspace problem. You probably won't be able to get the cylinder closed with the moon-clipped ACPs. They would have the same "rim thickness" (headspace distance) as the .45 Auto Rim cartridge. Compare the Auto Rim rim thickness with the thickness of the .45 Colt and .410 shotshell rims. There's your problem.

Regards,

Stew

Ben
05-08-2010, 03:36 PM
a.squibload :

Not certain where your friend is buying his " cheap " 410 shot shells at ?

They are $14.00 a box of 25 here ( that's .56 per round )

Johnch
05-08-2010, 06:06 PM
a.squibload :

Not certain where your friend is buying his " cheap " 410 shot shells at ?

They are $14.00 a box of 25 here ( that's .56 per round )

I was going to agree with you
But then I remembered what that one of the local gun shops was charging close to $35 for the cheapest 50 rnd box of factory 45 colt ammo on the shelf
And way more for some

All around , not a cheap gun to shoot factory ammo in

John

StrawHat
05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
The back end of the cylinder can be machined to accept moon clips BUT if the cylinder diameter and chamber spacing is not already used on some other ervlover, the moon clips will have to be manufactured specically for the Taurus and no one is currently doing that. If clips for the S&W N frame will work, it might be doable. Or other available clips. I guess you could use the 1/3 moon clips, they only hold 2 rounds.

a.squibload
05-09-2010, 06:18 AM
Sounds like 45acp is "out" for that gun, I'll let him know.
Thanks!

AZ-Stew
05-09-2010, 04:35 PM
The back end of the cylinder can be machined to accept moon clips BUT if the cylinder diameter and chamber spacing is not already used on some other ervlover, the moon clips will have to be manufactured specically for the Taurus and no one is currently doing that. If clips for the S&W N frame will work, it might be doable. Or other available clips. I guess you could use the 1/3 moon clips, they only hold 2 rounds.

If I'm not mistaken, The Judge is a 5-shot revolver, so the standard moon clips wouldn't have the correct center to center spacing, anyway.

Regards,

Stew

SwedeNelson
05-09-2010, 08:26 PM
S&W moon clips wouldn't work but
Taurus 455 Stellar Tracker (five shot)
clips may. Have heard you can use cut
down 45 Colt brass in the tracker like
auto rim.

Swede Nelson

StrawHat
05-10-2010, 06:50 AM
SwedeNelson
...S&W moon clips wouldn't work but
Taurus 455 Stellar Tracker (five shot)...

AZ-Stew ...If I'm not mistaken, The Judge is a 5-shot revolver...

I just looked up the Taurus Judge online, what an unusual revolver, to say the least. Available in 5 or 7 shot versions!

Good luck getting moon clips for it a.squibload, it may be more $$$ and aggravation than the cost for a reloading setup.

man.electric
05-10-2010, 07:01 AM
I own The Judge in two different configurations and love them both. When I was in college and was fur trapping to pay the bills, that judge was a grouse killer on my hip. You don't have much range, but the .410 is actually usable(unlike those goofy Deringer setups). Tell your friend to enjoy his new weapon!