PDA

View Full Version : cleaning

PAT303
07-27-2006, 12:38 AM
I was just wondering how many times people clean there rifles. I use felix lube and don't clean at all unless I get leading. is there any reason to clean as my barrels look smoother and cleaner than what they were new. PAT

Buckshot
07-27-2006, 01:18 AM
..................If it seems the piece won't be shot again in awile it gets cleaned, oiled and put up. If I have done experimental shooting I'll clean afterwards, looking for leading. Otherwise I push an oiled patch through the bore as insurance in case it doesn't get shot again for awile, then put up.

.............Buckshot

PAT303
07-27-2006, 02:58 AM
What do you clean with? Hoppes is all I use but I like the idea of seasoning the bore with lube and leaving it there Pat

Bass Ackward
07-27-2006, 05:00 AM
Hoppes is all I use but I like the idea of seasoning the bore with lube and leaving it there Pat

Pat,

Some guns benifit and some don't.
Some loads benifit and some don't.
Some lubes benifit and some don't.

Time between range scessions and temperature extremes and humidity levels can change all of the above to the negative too.

Everything I have get's cleaned right off the range. If it works for you ..........

Lloyd Smale
07-27-2006, 05:06 AM
I rarely touch a brush to a barrel that shoots cast. Copper fouling is a differnt animal though and ill try to clean a rifle using jacketed every 100 rounds or so.

Char-Gar
07-27-2006, 11:25 AM
In a cast bullet rifle, I push wet patched (Ed's Red) through until they come out "sorta" clean and then a couple of dry. A final patch with some Breakfree on it to keep things from rusting. I can do the whole thing in 6 to 10 patches.

All it takes is one or two fouling shots and a barrel thusly cleaned is back in prime shooting again.

Clean a good shooting 22 rimfire and it will take 30 to 50 rounds for it to get back to doing it's best. Old time small bore match shooters never clean their rifle barrells.

felix
07-27-2006, 12:04 PM
The throat area needs attention more than any other area when shooting boolits. Even with the 22LR. Lube buildup. If lube stays stationary too long, it will set up (in choking fashion, ring type). I typically use a dry brush and break it up after each shooting. That's all that's necessary untill accuracy fall-off becomes obvious, a year or two later or so. ... felix